Weight gain can be caused by different things, among them muscle gain. Certain exercises that focus on building muscle will help you gain weight. Exercises that focus more on cardio can help burn calories, but not increase your body mass. The exercise must last for an hour or more to be effective for gaining weight. The exercise must also burn 5 times as many calories as what you consume daily in order to maximize the number of pounds gained per week.
Table of Contents
- 7 Effective Exercises for Women to Gain Weight
- 12 Exercises for Skinny Guys to Gain Weight
- Crunchy Frogs
- Shoulder Press
- Deadlifts for Skinny Guys
- Bent Over Rows for Beginners
- Goblet Squat
- Barbell Curls to Gain Bigger Biceps
- Pull-Ups ( Chin-ups ) for Transformation
- Weighted Lunges for Beginner
- Arnold Presses for Beginner Exercise
- Dumbbell Flys for Beginners and Mistakes to Avoid
- Sit-Ups for Skinny Guys to Gain Muscle Faster
- What Exercises to Avoid
- What to Eat to Gain Weight
- Lifestyle Changes to Gain Weight
- Do you gain weight because of a lack of exercise?
- When can you start exercising on keto?
- Is it possible to gain weight on keto?
- How much weight will I gain from exercise?
- How much weight will I gain in a month if I exercise 2 hours a day?
- How much protein should I be eating?
- How much fat do I need to eat to gain weight?
7 Effective Exercises for Women to Gain Weight
To gain weight, you need to burn more calories than what you consume. The best way to do this is a combination of eating a healthy diet and exercising. Most women don’t need to worry about the amount of weight they put on, but rather keeping it balanced with muscle gain. Some exercises that target the muscles in your legs will help you put on weight there because the biggest muscle in the leg is the quadricep.
Walking for just an hour a day can burn off an extra 100 calories per day. This may not seem like much, but over the course of a week, it adds up to 400 calories. Keep in mind that 200 calories is enough to make you gain a pound per week.
Pushups are a good way to build the pectorals. These muscles, located over the chest and near the upper arms, work like the seat and thigh muscles and will help you gain weight in those areas. Pushups can be done anywhere and do not take any special equipment.
Pullups will work the back, biceps, and shoulders. These muscles in the upper body can be smaller than in men, so women might find it hard to gain weight in these areas. Pullups target these areas and can be done at home or in a gym.
Squats target the quadriceps and biceps. This exercise can be done anywhere, but it takes a lot of effort and will tire you out quickly if you aren’t used to it. It should be done with light weights or no weight at all until you get used to the exercise.
Lunges target the muscles that make up your leg. These muscles can often be larger in women, but many find it hard to gain weight there because the muscles are small and delicate. Lunges can be done anywhere and can help you gain weight from above or from the bottom.
Bench presses target the pectoral muscles. If you are not able to pull up enough weight for pullups, you can use benches to build your biceps.
The overhead press strengthens the pectorals. This exercise is done with barbells, dumbells or even alone using your body weight to do it.
12 Exercises for Skinny Guys to Gain Weight
Men can gain muscle mass, but women have a better muscle to fat ratio so they are better at gaining muscle. To build muscle, you need to lift heavy weights that target the muscles in your arms and chest.
Squats are an excellent exercise for adding size and strength to your legs. The best way for a beginner to do squats is to use a Smith Machine. If you’re not familiar with the term, it’s simply a squat rack attached to the frame with a barbell. You can still lift a lot of weight without being able to walk for several days after your workout. This is a good thing because if you can squat a lot, the rest of your body will follow suit.
Recommend that anyone wanting to start doing squats start light and work their way up.
This is a fun exercise that will work your abs and legs at the same time. Stand on your hands and walk your feet out until you are in a push-up position. Simultaneously, lower yourself down to the floor. Do not drop too far or push yourself off with your feet. This will make it more challenging to maintain balance and control the weight on your shoulders if you start to lose it.
One great thing about this exercise is that if you keep moving quickly, it’s usually not too difficult to maintain control and balance, even when you’re tired after a long workout. The downside is that you may have to modify your workout to do this exercise without hurting yourself. In other words, don’t try to forget about the muscles in your arms and legs and just focus on working your abs and legs.
This is another excellent exercise for building up your shoulders. The way you do this exercise is very similar to the squat. The difference is that when you’re in a push-up position, lift your feet off the ground.
The advantage of doing this exercise in a single stance is that it allows you to control all three planes of motion—horizontal, vertical, and frontal. In addition, you can use a variety of variations of this exercise to perform it with heavy weight without injuring yourself.
This movement pattern is best suited for individuals who have good shoulder strength and can maintain good posture throughout the movement.
Deadlifts for Skinny Guys
Deadlifts are an exercise that some people like to do. Others have never heard of this movement. The truth is that it takes time to master the deadlift. If you decide to give it a try, I recommend using various variations of the exercise.
For example, you can do sumo squats and sumo deadlifts, Bulgarian squats, and Bulgarian deadlifts, etc. Be sure to also perform backward deadlifts. These help build the back and hamstrings and are very good for building overall strength in the back.
In any case, using different variations will help keep your legs, back, and hips strong.
Bent Over Rows for Beginners
These are great exercises for working your back and arms. They’re also easy to do. Most people can do them with little coaching or instruction. If you’re new to weight lifting, these are the exercise that you should turn to first. Then, as you become more advanced, you can add deadlifts. Keep in mind that you can do bent-over rows without a barbell. In fact, you can even do them with a kettlebell.
The advantage of using kettlebells for this exercise is that they can be done anywhere, anytime, and in any position. Plus, it’s not as challenging to master the motion of long arms and short legs as it is to master the motion of barbells. If you’re a beginner, I recommend starting with something like 25 pounds and gradually increasing the weight on each set until you feel comfortable doing so.
This is another exercise that you may have never heard of. It’s a lot like a regular squat, but instead of keeping your weight on your legs, you hold a weight in either both hands or one hand and then lift it to shoulder level for a single rep before returning it to the floor.
The advantage of doing this exercise is that it allows you to work harder on your knees while allowing you to use more weight than if you were performing squats from an incline position.
You can also do chest presses and shoulder presses while on a ball on a bench. This allows for you to add variation and really work multiple muscles.
Barbell Curls to Gain Bigger Biceps
This is an excellent exercise for adding size and strength to your arms. And, it’s one that a lot of people don’t do. In fact, if you go to any gym, you’ll notice that there are very few people lifting heavy weights with their arms. Many people focus on anything but their arms. This is unfortunate because the exercises that work the arms best are those that require you to lift the most weight.
You will notice that there are a lot of exercises on this list that require you to use free weights. The reason for this is that free weights force you to use proper form and technique. And, if done correctly, they are also less likely to cause injury than machines.
The downside of using free weights is that you often need someone to spot you—someone who is capable of helping you correct any mistakes during the exercise if necessary.
Pull-Ups ( Chin-ups ) for Transformation
This is another exercise that a lot of people don’t do. It’s also one that you will find at most gyms. I recommend this exercise for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it works your biceps. If you’re not strong enough to complete pull-ups from the ground, then you need to work on building strength for this movement first.
The second reason why I recommend pull-ups is because they are one of the best exercises for building strength in your arms. If you’re not sure how to do them correctly, try performing these exercises with just your body weight until you feel comfortable doing so.
Weighted Lunges for Beginner
These are excellent exercises because they work multiple muscles. You will need a good amount of weight for this exercise. Be sure to use a barbell. Too heavy of a weight can result in injury if you are using dumbbells and don’t know how to do them correctly.
The advantage of using weighted dumbbells is that they allow you to vary the strength of the exercise based on the amount of weight that you add or subtract. They also allow for smaller increments in terms of the progress that you make over time as you get stronger and want to add more weight to your sets.
Arnold Presses for Beginner Exercise
These are other exercises that you may have never heard of. These are similar to pressing overhead presses except that they work your biceps very hard. The advantage of these exercises is that they are more complex than regular overhead presses and require less weight to complete.
You can also do chest presses and shoulder presses while on a ball on a bench. This allows for you to add variation and really work multiple muscles.
Dumbbell Flys for Beginners and Mistakes to Avoid
This is a very effective exercise that builds up your biceps very well. Most people don’t do this exercise. It’s one of the best exercises I can think of to build up your biceps. And, if you ever have the chance to use a cable crossovers machine, then you should definitely use it for dumbbell flies. I recommend doing these once or twice a week, in addition, to incline presses for maximum results.
Sit-Ups for Skinny Guys to Gain Muscle Faster
Sit-ups are not effective for gaining weight. When your body is in a downward-facing position, it generates very little force. When you sit up and your back acts as a lever, you could generate more power.
What Exercises to Avoid
For some people, losing weight is a hard enough task. Then there are those who need to lose 10, 20, 50 pounds! The idea of intense exercise and severe dieting is often overwhelming and the feeling of willing oneself to the gym can quickly dwindle. However, if you know what exercises (or workouts) to avoid while trying to lose weight you might be able to make some positive changes in your life without too much struggle.
There are some exercises to avoid when you want to lose weight because they require too much energy (particularly the number of calories burned) and therefore won’t help you reach your weight loss goals.
To gain weight, minimize aerobic and cardio exercises. A weight-loss exercise program is fine as long as it does not involve lots of aerobic or cardio exercise. Although these types of exercises work out a lot of muscles at the same time, the overall fat breakdown is minimal only on a skeletal level. They do not burn fats but instead lift and work on muscles, which increases weight gain.
You don’t have to avoid them all the time, but only when trying to lose weight.
High-speed Acceleration Training is an excellent cardiovascular exercise that burns a lot of calories. It also helps to improve running speed and overall fitness level. The best exercises to avoid while trying to lose weight are those that require a lot of energy for less noticeable results such as High-speed Acceleration Training.
What to Eat to Gain Weight
One of the most common misconceptions in today’s society is that there is a perfect diet out there for everyone. In reality, what you eat has a large effect on your weight, so it’s important to research what your body requires. The best way to determine what your optimal diet is is by determining your macronutrient breakdown.
Try some of the following foods:
- Egg whites– Every man’s bodybuilding staple, egg whites are great for putting on size. They are relatively cheap and easy to get.
- Peanut Butter– A quick way to get some extra calories in your diet is with peanut butter, which has a lot of protein and healthy fats. Try to get an all natural peanut butter so it’s healthier.
- Whole Wheat Bread– Whole wheat bread is great because the whole grains makes it more filling while simultaneously boosting your fiber intake.
- Whole Wheat Pasta– Pasta is great because it fills you up and it doesn’t take too much time to make or eat. Whole wheat pastas are healthier than their white counterparts.
- Steak & Potatoes– A staple of the bodybuilding diet, steak is high in protein, and potatoes are high in carbs. This can be eaten for dinner every night, but experiment with different protein sources (chicken, etc.) and other carb sources (sweet potatoes, etc.).
- Yogurt– Yogurt is high in protein and has a lot of probiotics which can be beneficial.
- Cheese– A common staple of the bodybuilding diet, cheese is high in protein. It’s also pretty cheap and easy to find.
- Oatmeal– Oatmeal is one of the best ways to get some carbs into your diet, but it’s also great because it fills your stomach without adding too much fat calories.
- Lean Beef or Fish– Another common bodybuilding staple, try to go for fish over beef if possible because fish has a lot less saturated fat.
The most important thing is to experiment with different foods and find what works for you. Remember that calories do count, so don’t be afraid to eat a 5,000 calorie meal if your body needs it.
Take notes of what you eat and take measurements of your body every week. This way you can see what’s working for you and what isn’t. After a few weeks, you should start to notice differences in your measurements and how your clothes fit.
Lifestyle Changes to Gain Weight
Weight gain is a trending topic in today’s society because it has become an issue for many people. Whether you are too thin or just want to lose weight, there are several lifestyle changes that can help you achieve these goals.
1. Sleep well: Everyone’s personal sleeping schedule is different and that’s okay, but you can take steps to make sure you sleep at least six hours a night by trying to get to bed at the same time every night. This helps with your energy level throughout the day and also helps to make sure that you don’t eat because you are sleepy (although I do see this as a symptom of overeating).
2. Exercise: Exercise has shown time and again that it increases weight loss. It also helps with your energy level and is a great way to release endorphins which can help with your mood.
3. Reduce stress: Stress has been linked to weight gain and eating disorders. By reducing your stress, you can focus on making healthy decisions and eliminating bad habits.
4. Stop bad habits: When you cut out certain bad habits, it’s much easier to stick to the good ones. These bad habits include not eating breakfast, smoking, drinking alcohol, and using drugs.
5. Eat more: It’s very easy to eat too much and eat less than you should and try and fast for a few days or just skip meals. When you’re running on fumes it’s easy to be tempted by junk foods and you can use these 15 guidelines to help yourself stick to healthy eating.
6. Set reasonable goals for yourself: Taking control of weight gain can be frustrating. Sticking to good eating habits is not easy. So before you decide on a certain goal for yourself or even make changes, make sure you put some thought into it first. It’s much easier to make long-term changes than it is to try and change overnight.
Do you gain weight because of a lack of exercise?
Answer: Yes, but not by overeating and exercising enough to the point where you will become too fat. So it is not that when we do not exercise, we gain weight; it is that we are lazy and eat more than necessary to support our body. We can lose weight without exercising. The reason why many people gain so much fat so late in life is that they did not know what to do with their lives when they stopped working on their careers.
When can you start exercising on keto?
Answer: You can start exercising on keto immediately after starting. But you will lose as much of your muscle mass as you gained at first, so it is vital that you keep active post-breakdown in hopes that you do not get too fat.
Is it possible to gain weight on keto?
Answer: Yes, but not if your exercise routine is highly intense and challenging. If you are not a bodybuilder and do not have enough calories to support your body, that should be fine. It would probably be advisable, if low carb diets are something new to you, to consult a doctor as well before trying to adjust your diet in a heavy fashion.
How much weight will I gain from exercise?
Answer: 3-5 kg of muscle and 1-2 kg of fat.
How much weight will I gain in a month if I exercise 2 hours a day?
Answer: 8-10 kg
How much protein should I be eating?
A lot of it. You will want to consume at least 1.0 grams per pound of bodyweight for optimal physical function and growth, while the higher end is more than 1.7g/lb of body weight. Just make sure you are only eating complete proteins with no poor substitutions like soy or almond milk powder or other ingredients that are severely lacking in protein content
How much fat do I need to eat to gain weight?
Answer: A lot of fat, a lot. The minimums are very high, similar to they would be on a “low carb” diet if you do not want to go into ketosis, but the average goal is 2-3 grams per pound of body weight. You should aim for less than 10% calories from fat in total.