Heart rate measurement is a valuable feature of the smartwatch to give accurate information about the user’s heart rate. So do you understand how this feature works? Follow the full article: how do smartwatches measure heart rate?
An Apple Watch isn’t just a fashion accessory: it’s a smart tool that can keep you healthy and active. One of the features that watches as the Apple Watch has is heart rate monitoring, which you can see in the form of two different pieces of data: resting heart rate and average daily activity.
This article will explain how smartwatches measure heart rate, including how it affects your fitness levels and whether or not it’s accurate enough to be used as a replacement for traditional methods.
Table of Contents
- What Is The Heart Rate Measurement On A Smartwatch?
- How Do Smartwatches Measure Heart Rate?
- Smart Watch Accuracy
- When Does The Heart Rate Measurement Warn The User?
- Benefits Of Monitoring Regular Heart Rate
- Some Other Notes When Wearing A Watch To Check Heart Rate
- Some Kinds Of The Best Heart Rate Monitors You Should Buy
What Is The Heart Rate Measurement On A Smartwatch?
The heart rate feature is used to give approximate numbers of active heartbeats per minute. From there, it gives warnings about the heart rate if it notices an abnormality. Heart rate can be different depending on your habits such as eating, exercising, cleaning the house.
When exercising with extreme intensity for an extended period, the heart rate will increase high, it can be a bad symptom. As a result, you should think of ways to make it better.
How Do Smartwatches Measure Heart Rate?
Smartwatches use a technology called photoplethysmography to measure heart rate. This is a process by which light is used to measure the volume of blood in your wrist. Your heart pumps blood around your body, and when you have more blood in your veins it means there is more activity going on with your body, which you can see reflected in the data from your smartwatch’s heart rate monitor.
The light used for this method of monitoring is invisible to the human eye. It is near-infrared (IR) light. The amount of IR light that passes through your skin is directly proportional to the amount of blood in your wrist.
If your smartwatch supports heart rate measurement, the underside will be equipped with a green, infrared sensor cluster. The green light comes with an extremely photosensitive diode that recognizes the amount of blood moving through the pulse at a fixed time.
As your heart beats, the number of blood increases, and it is recorded in the sensor. The LED will count per second to have the figure of heartbeats per minute, which is the user’s heart rate.
Smart Watch Accuracy
The SmartWatch is capable of taking accurate measurements 99% of the time, which means that you don’t need to worry about using it for heart rate measurement.
How can you make sure your Smart Watch’s heart rate monitor is as accurate as possible? This section will provide some information about what can affect its accuracy.
While the SmartWatch heart rate monitor works relatively well most of the time, there are a few things that you can do to improve its accuracy. Doing so will help you get more out of your smartwatch as a fitness tracker.
The first thing you want to do is make sure your wrist is at a normal temperature, which can be checked by going into your Apple Watch or any other smartwatches settings and checking the fit screen.
Try giving your wrist a wipe to make sure it’s dry. If you’re just getting up, it’s normal for the Apple Watch to take longer to get an accurate reading, so wait a few seconds before checking your heart rate.
Because this method is able to detect blood flow through your veins, tap your Apple Watch gently with the opposite hand. This should make it take an initial reading even quicker.
If you have a wrist tattoo or any other form of body art, this could potentially affect the accuracy of the Apple Watch’s heart rate monitor. If you can’t get a consistent reading from your smartwatch, try taking it off and putting it back on again. To take a more consistent reading, wear your Apple Watch on different parts of your wrist. Try wearing it on both wrists, or maybe one leg and one arm only. This will help ensure that the device is getting an accurate measurement from all parts of your wrist.
Make sure the Apple Watch is positioned at the right angle. It needs to be orientated in a way that gives it an unobstructed view of your skin.
If you’re wearing any SmartWatch and it seems like your heart rate hasn’t changed, don’t worry: it hasn’t malfunctioned, and it hasn’t taken an incorrect reading. This is because the SmartWatch takes several measurements over the course of several minutes to provide better accuracy.
The Apple Watch’s heart rate monitor is very accurate, so you don’t need to worry about it giving you inaccurate readings. That being said, there are some things that can affect its accuracy. If you follow these steps, the Apple Watch’s heart rate monitor will provide you with more accurate results that can help improve your health and fitness levels.
When Does The Heart Rate Measurement Warn The User?
Heart rate also bases on health status, age, gender. However, for people aged 18 and over, it ranges from 61-99 beats per minute. Usually, the stronger the person is, the slower the heart rate will be. Professional athletes have good training, eating, and resting regimen, so it usually ranges below 59 beats/minute.
The heart rate monitor will warn users when their irregular heart rate is at least 10 minutes of disorder. And then, the smartwatch will warn the user to take the right measures.
Benefits Of Monitoring Regular Heart Rate
Heart rate monitoring for sportspeople is handy; it can determine whether your exercise intensity is enough or not or whether you are exercising beyond normal or not. In addition, your daily diet also affects your heart rate. Therefore, owning a smart wearable device is an excellent tool for taking care of your daily health monitoring.
Neither bracelets nor watches can replace specialized medical devices, but the technology has also produced highly accurate results. For example, some specialized Garmin sports watches use heart rate sensors used on high-end medical devices that give approximate, even accurate results compared to specialized heart rate monitors.
Some Other Notes When Wearing A Watch To Check Heart Rate
- When you activate automatic heart rate mode or start using exercise, the wearable will automatically track your heart rate. You should wear the device on your wrist to measure your heart rate, as shown above.
- If you wear the device too tightly, skin irritation may occur, but the band may rub against the skin, causing discomfort if you wear it too loosely.
- The accuracy of the sensor may decrease based on the measurement conditions and environment.
Taking Notes For Wearing A Smartwatch To Check Heart Rate
- Use the heart rate feature only to measure your heart rate.
- Low ambient temperature may affect the measurement results; In winter or cold weather, keep warm when taking heart rate measurements.
- Smoking or drinking alcohol before the measurement can cause your heart rate to become irregular.
- Do not talk, yawn or take deep breaths while your heart rate is being measured. Doing so will result in inaccurate measurement results.
- Since the heart rate sensor uses light to check the heart rate, accuracy may vary depending on physical factors that affect light absorption and reflection, such as blood circulation/blood pressure, skin conditions, and the location and concentration of blood vessels. In addition, if your heart rate is too high or low, the measurement will not be accurate.
- Users with small wrists may receive inaccurate measurement results because the device is loose, causing uneven light reflection. If heart rate measurement doesn’t work, position the sensor on your wrist or wear it backward so that the sensor is in contact with your skin.
Be Careful With Something Wrong With Measuring Heart Rate
- If the sensor is dirty, wipe it and try again. Any obstructions between the strap and your wrists, such as hair, dirt, or other objects, can prevent the light from being reflected evenly. Please make sure you have cleared any obstructions before using the device.
- When something touches the back of your device, your wearable may falsely recognize that you are wearing it.
- If the device does not notice any movement for more than 10 minutes, it will understand that you are not wearing it.
Some Kinds Of The Best Heart Rate Monitors You Should Buy
Currently, most smartwatches and health monitoring bands have a continuous heart rate measurement feature. However, some brands produce reliable heart rate monitors that you should consult.
Apple Watch’s Heart Rate Monitor
Apple Watch Series 3 and 4 are the two Apple Watch lines you should buy at this time if you are interested in the heart rate measurement feature. Series 4 has additional features of Fall detection and ECG measurement. Still, ECG cannot be used with genuine Vietnamese distribution products, so that you can use Apple Watch Series 3 as a more economical solution.
Samsung Watch’s Heart Rate Monitor
Samsung is a smartwatch company that focuses on health factors, constantly upgrading its products with increasing accuracy. In addition, Samsung Watch also has many sizes to suit users, so you can rest assured that the product will bring the most accurate heart rate measurement results.
Currently, Samsung has launched the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active model with only 40mm, suitable for people with small and thin wrists.
Nokia/Withings’s Heart Rate Monitor
Withings is a French brand specializing in the production of user health care devices. Withings products are always compact, fashionable, and constantly updated with health care algorithms. Withings support system also works very well, so you can be assured of product quality and features.
Fitbit And Garmin’s Heart Rate Monitor
These two brands produce smartwatches that measure heart rate for health monitoring needs and integrate sports tracking features. Therefore, if you are an interested user and have regular exercise, these two brands are the most reasonable choice.
Above is how the smartwatches measure heart rate. If you want to know about this kind of product, please keep following us on our website for more exciting information and tips on using smartwatches wisely and effectively.