Closing a pocket knife is not as easy as you think. No matter what you are doing, you still need to have experience and knowledge to have a complete, diverse, and extended life for yourself. So here are some ways on how to close a pocket knife safely and effectively.
Table of Contents
- Distinguishing A Fixed And A Pocket Knife
- Choosing The Knife’s Shape
- Selecting The Knife’s Material & How To Close A Pocket Knife
- Picking Up Features For Closing And Opening Knives Quickly
- Buying The Knife That Is Suitable For Each Type of Food
Distinguishing A Fixed And A Pocket Knife
According to trekking experience, the first thing you need to keep in mind is what kind of knife is suitable for you during your trip.
A Fixed Knife
It is a straight, fixed, and durable knife. At the same time, you also use it more conveniently, and it is easier to clean. However, the fixed knife is heavy and uses a lot of space in the backpack. Therefore, trekkers don’t use it often.
A Pocket Knife
Pocket knives are perfect for catering to the requirements of exploration. You can fold the knife and put it in your backpack. In particular, this is a multi-purpose knife that protects the handle when you are not using it. However, pocket knives lack stability compared to stationary knives. Therefore, you should choose a knife with a latch to prevent the knife from accidentally slipping down your finger while in use.
Choosing The Knife’s Shape
Usually, depending on demand, you may need to choose some different knife shapes. So here are some types of knives you can refer to choose when you go trekking:
- Drop-point: The blade is very thick. The edge of the knife slides to the left. As a result, it minimizes accidents causing you to be injured. The complex feature is suitable for heavy-duty tasks such as clearing bushes on your road.
- Clip – point: It has a very thin, sharp sickle. You can use it to stab or poke for detail and accuracy. However, it’s less durable than drop-point.
- Tanto: The blade is sharp and highly sturdy. Knives and a half are ideal for opening cans, smashing, or stabbing hard materials.
- Needle-point and Spear-point: This type of letter usually has two sides. It is the kind of stuff that spawns the owner in the job of surviving or throwing.
- Sheepsfoot and Santoku: It’s straight from the handle. As a result, this knife fits for cutting, slicing, chopping, etc.
Selecting The Knife’s Material & How To Close A Pocket Knife
To choose the right picnic knife, according to your trekking experience, you should further note the knife’s materials. This trekking gear should be colorful, be used for a long time, and have a low level of corrosion. However, each material has its advantages and disadvantages. You may be able to refer to the following two materials to consider when choosing a repair as follows:
High carbon steel
- Pros: hardness, high sharpness.
- Cons: easily corroded.
- Pros: hard, highly resistant to corrosion, well-maintained sharpness.
- Cons: Harder to sharpen.
How To Close A Pocket Knife That Is Made Of Stainless Steel
The first factor you need to consider when choosing to buy a knife is the knife’s material. Currently, we have stainless steel, rolled steel, and carbon. Users should choose stainless steel knives to get rid of rust during use. Most foldable knives can be folded easily. You need to pay attention to keep the knife dry, do not let the knife get wet. Need to clean the knife after use to avoid it rust.
How To Close A Pocket Knife That Has A Light, Sturdy Design
The thinner the knife is, the faster it can cut, and as a result, it saves your effort for cutting and chopping. So what is a perfect knife you should choose to buy? The handle has a balanced length, and it should be covered with plastic, silicone or polypropylene, on the handle’s surface. There are many designs to increase friction, and you will hold the knife firmly, preventing slipping. Finally, it should firmly install the screw connected to the handle, which helps you close it quickly.
The pocket knife will have a compact design, and you can easily carry it or put it in your bag. Since you can slide it, there is no need to worry about tearing the bag.
Picking Up Features For Closing And Opening Knives Quickly
With this feature, you can fold the knife to put it in your pocket when trekking. You can protect it inside the shell. However, it would help if you remembered to lock it up when opening the knife not to lock it again when in use.
With the small steps, you will quickly open the lockback knife with just one finger. This feature is often found on knives equipped with a safety lock. It has the function of preventing the knife from opening. Thanks to that, you can protect your hands when using the knife as well.
Buying The Knife That Is Suitable For Each Type of Food
If you need to cut and slice vegetables, meat, fish, you should choose a light knife about 4-6 cm in width. So it won’t make you tired when you use it. If you need to chop meat, mince it finely. It would help if you chose heavy-duty, large-sized, long-bladed knives with a solid handle, and it will help you cut food faster. Peeling, trimming fruits and vegetables requires knives with a blade length of 8-10 cm, long handle, compact design for easier cutting.
The Material Of The Knife Handle Affects The Opening And Closing Of The Knife
Besides, you should also care for the handle. It is the part that makes it easy and comfortable when you use the knife. Then, depending on your demand and preferences, you can choose the material for rolling with:
- Wood: Wooden handles are often cut very beautifully, firmly but easily damaged by water.
- Plastic: The handle made of plastic is difficult to hold, but it is relatively cheap. In particular, it has an excellent waterproof function.
- Rubber: Rubber makes it easy to hold the knife firmly, but it is not waterproof and durable.
- Stainless steel or aluminum: Although it’s very durable, this knife handle will make your hands slippery, making it difficult to hold the knife.
Above are some ways for how to choose a pocket knife effectively. You can choose pocket knives for many occasions, such as self-defense, camping, or cooking. Good luck with your choice of knife.