In using leather shoes, you will indeed have many troubles with the maintenance, renewal, or repair of boots. The problem that seems the hardest is when your leather boots are scratched. Therefore, how to fix this problem, please follow the article below.
Table of Contents
- What Makes Leather Boots Scuffed?
- What To Do If Leather Boots Are Scratched? Details 5 Ways To Fix It!
What Makes Leather Boots Scuffed?
Before learning how to fix scratched boots, it is necessary to understand the cause. Many factors cause leather boots to be scratched, including factors such as:
Due To Poor Quality Leather Boots
The quality of the shoe leather is a direct determinant of the durability of the shoe. If the leather quality is not high, for example, synthetic leather, the risk of scratches is inevitable. If you can use authentic leather for at least 5 years, synthetic one can’t be more than one year.
We’ve compiled a list of top durable work boots here.
Boots Are Sloughing Due To Heavy Use
While leather is a durable material, that doesn’t mean it won’t scratch or fade. Especially for those who work in the office, the frequency of using leather shoes a lot will be more likely to cause scratches. In addition, using much without maintenance makes your boots worse quickly.
Due To The Influence Of Climate
Climate can cause leather boots to scratch. Leather boots in wet weather or intense heat are both factors that make leather shoes more susceptible to scratches. Besides, the operation or tripping on complex objects is also the cause of the scratched shoes. In addition, improper maintenance and cleaning of leather shoes can also be a cause few people expect.
What To Do If Leather Boots Are Scratched? Details 5 Ways To Fix It!
There are many ways to handle scratched leather boots; you can refer to some ways below to apply.
Fix Scratched Leather Boots With Balm Lips
Balm lips can “save” your scratched leather shoes very effectively. With high moisture, lipstick will help leather boots be softer, avoid wrinkles and reduce scratches quickly.
- Step 1: Use a soft cloth soaked in water and then wipe the surface of the leather shoe, especially the scratched place.
- Step 2: You should use a soft brush to remove dirt on shoes.
- Step 3: Use sandpaper to sand around the scratched shoe area, then let the shoes dry
- Step 4: After about 10 minutes, apply a balm lip on the scratched leather shoes that have been flattened, continue to let the shoes dry.
- Step 5: After about 15 minutes, use the same color shoe polish on the surface of the scratched shoe area and then scrub until the shoes are shiny as desired.
See also how to stretch leather shoes?
How To Restore Scratched Leather Boots With A Hairdryer
A hairdryer is also an effective tool for handling scratched shoes. However, this method is only suitable for minor, not too deep scratches.
- Step 1: Wipe the surface of the boot to remove dirt
- Step 2: Set the hair dryer on low temperature < 27 degrees C
- Step 3: Heat the dryer near the scratched shoe area, then use your hands to massage the dried skin. Wiping it gently with a soft cloth, it will help the leather to heat up, reducing scratches significantly.
- Step 4: Polish leather shoes to ensure it’s shiny.
How To Fix Slouching Boots With Olive Oil
Olive oil or coconut oil are both easy-to-find that can thoroughly fix scratches on leather boots. If the scratch on the shoe is not large, you can use a soft cloth to absorb olive oil and then rub it on the scratched area. Then wipe out the surrounding areas to create shine for the boots.
In case of stubborn scratches, you can apply the following:
- Step 1: Put a few drops of olive oil on the scratch.
- Step 2: Use a clean cloth and dip it in water and squeeze out the water. Then cover the scratch with a cloth.
- Step 3: Use a dryer or iron with a temperature < 27 degrees and then put it directly on the cloth for a few seconds.
- Step 4: Use a cotton swab to polish the shoes on the scratched skin and remove the excess with a sponge.
How To Fix Slouching Leather Boots With Nail Polish
Nail polish is the savior for leather shoes when scratched. Although the gel layer in the nail polish will help cover the scratches very effectively, the shoes will become shinier.
- Step 1: You should prepare one bowl of warm water and cleaning solution, clean it with a cotton towel, nail polish.
- Step 2: Add cleaning solution to water, then dip a cotton towel into it
- Step 3: Cover the scratched area with a cotton towel soaked in water for about 5 minutes, then use another clean one to dry the skin surface.
- Step 4: Apply a layer of transparent nail polish on the shoes. You can cover the scratches of leather shoes already.
Fix Scratched Leather Boots With Toothpaste
Toothpaste is also one of the ingredients to help fix scratched boots effectively that you can refer to.
- Step 1: Take a small amount of toothpaste on a soft towel
- Step 2: Apply toothpaste evenly on shoes in a circle.
- Step 3: Use a soft brush for the surface covered with toothpaste lightly and then wipe it off with a soft cloth
- Step 4: Use shoe polish to ensure shine.
Notes On Handling Scratched Leather Shoes
When applying the above handling methods, you need to keep a few notes as follows:
- Choose the right cleaning tool to avoid slouching and making more severe scratches.
- Due to the effect of the above materials, some types of leather shoes may fade. Therefore, it is necessary to consider carefully before doing so to avoid the shoes being stained.
- During the process, not only should the scratched areas be repaired, but also extended around should be taken care of to prevent splashing.
Hopefully, the treatment of scratched leather shoes at home that we synthesize above will help you keep your shoes beautiful and durable. If you have any questions about maintaining boots, leave some comments below the article or click chat right away.