Hanging a bike in your garage is a great way to free up space. It’s also easier to do than it seems. You can hang a bike from the roof of your garage with a roof hook or a more elaborate rope and pulley system, especially for bicycles. Whichever method you choose, you can hang your bike easily. You can follow how to hang bikes in the garage below.
If you’re looking to keep your garage neat and orderly but also want to make use of the limited space you have, it’s a good idea to find ways of hiding your bikes. With the addition of a bike rack system, you can store up to 8 bicycles in your garage with little fuss or expense. Read on for our top 3 options for this purpose!
1) The first option is the Racor Bike Rack Storage System which features 4 tiers of storage space. It’s fully adjustable and can be easily installed on a wall or ceiling. It also has a sliding mechanism to accommodate for different size bikes. The only problem with this bike rack system is that it holds your bike like an assembly line, making it harder to access certain parts of the bike such as the front and back wheels.
2) The next option is the Cushman Bike Rack and Wheel Storage System. This bike rack will accommodate bicycles up to 20 inches in width and up to 24 inches in length. The system can also be adjusted for any size bicycle. One thing that sets this bike rack apart from others like it is that it allows for easy access to the wheels of your bikes.
3) The last option is the Accessory Bikes Rack System. This bike rack will hold up to 8 bicycles and features a fully adjustable mechanism. It is very similar to the Racor Bike Rack Storage System in terms of size, but many users have complained about its poor handling of bikes weighing up to 40 pounds. Because it only holds a limited number of bikes at a time, it’s a great option for people who don’t want to store a large number of their bikes in their garage.
See also: Bike Racks for Garage
Table of Contents
- How To Hang Your Bikes On The Wall?
- How To Hang Your Bike In A Garage
- Things You Need To Prepare
- Step 1: Hang With Ceiling Hooks
- Step 2: Always Be Careful When Standing On Something
- Step 3: Measure The Length Between The Two Wheels
- Step 4: Using Ropes And Pulleys
- Step 5: Thread The Rope Through The Hole
- Step 6: Attach The Second Pulley To The Ceiling Beam
- Step 7: Thread The Rope Through The Pulleys
How To Hang Your Bikes On The Wall?
In this tutorial, we will see how to hang the bike on the wall. If winter comes and you can’t ride a bike with friends or work on a bike alone, it’s time to put the bike away by hanging it on the wall. It’s not just a metaphor, but it’s the ideal solution for reclaiming space, keeping the house in order, and at the same time, arranging the bike, so it doesn’t get damaged. Keep reading and see how you can do it.
Some Steps Of Hanging Your Bikes On The Wall
You can buy a hook that you find on the market in all sizes and shapes, and you will have to attach it to the wall with nails of the ideal length to make sure it doesn’t drop down quickly. If you want to be more sure that the bike’s weight is well tolerated, without the risk of falling, you can put extra hooks, and then you will have to cover them with rubber or plastic brackets, making sure that it won’t damage the bike’s paintwork.
You can also put a rope on the wall and, once you’ve made some loops, you’ll have to get over the saddle and handlebars, hang it, and finally cover it with nylon. Another excellent idea is to fix a bracket to the wall, at the high part of the wall, then fix the bike on it. Of course, the area must be left empty, so there is more space.
You can hang your bike from the ceiling or on a garage or basement wall by tying it to the wheels, securing the rope you used earlier. If your bike is placed near the floor, the wheels should touch it and lean against the wall. It is essential to clean it before hanging it up or putting it down, thus avoiding rust and dust that could damage its paintwork.
Make Sure That It Can’t Drop From The Wall
It’s usually an excellent rule to cover it up carefully, to prevent it from filling up with cobwebs and even dust, or if it’s in a space used for your work with stains. Substances that can damage it. Its location is not definitive, and so once you have secured it in the position you want, which is the best position you want, you will have to be sure that you will have no problem when you want to remove it.
If you have children at home, or older adults, or in any case where your bike is accessible to everyone, it would be good to make sure it cannot fall and is not likely to climb to attach yourself to the bike. It is always better to foresee and prevent possible dangers whenever work is done. For those who don’t want to work hard, bikes on the market can be placed in a closed room or outdoors. In the second case, they become actual mobile garages, like machines, with various closures and shapes.
How To Hang Your Bike In A Garage
Things You Need To Prepare
- Cordless drill
- Wireless Shock Driver
- Scale, Tape Ruler
- Chain and pulley system for bicycles (for method 1)
- Heavy-duty plastic hook (for Method 2)
Step 1: Hang With Ceiling Hooks
Find the ceiling beam. Stand on a ladder or elevated surface and look up your garage to find a beam. In case you can’t see any beam on the ceiling, you can try to find it by hitting your fist on it. You can hear a fixed sound, you have found a beam. If the beam is attached from outside, it’s easier for you to look for.
If you don’t want to use your strength, you can try to use a hammer, do the same to figure out what you think is a beam. You can find out the beam easily and experience it through resistance and echo.
Step 2: Always Be Careful When Standing On Something
Drill a hole for a hook. The hole should be tight enough for the threads. Next, you drill the hole where you want one of the wheel hubs. You may need to use a powerful and small drill. You should pay attention to what you’re using safely. For example, when drilling a roof, you should wear glasses to prevent dust and dirt from entering your eyes.
Step 3: Measure The Length Between The Two Wheels
After drilling your first hole:
- Use tape to estimate the distance from the center of one wheel to the other.
- Be as accurate as possible.
- Make sure you have the correct measurement.
Drill a second hole in the same beam. Now that you have estimated the distance between the wheels. Then, you drill another hole at the same size. It should be equal to the length from the rear wheel of the bicycle to the front wheel.
- For an adult bike, it should be longer in the distance.
- Heavy-duty, J-shaped hook screws into holes. Once you’ve drilled both kinds in the ceiling beams, you use some tools to ensure they are adequately twisted in the beam.
- You can find these kinds of hooks in all house application stores.
- Buying a hook with a plastic cover is essential because it will not scratch on your bike.
Step 4: Using Ropes And Pulleys
Find a beam on the ceiling. Start by touching the roof of your garage where you want to hang your bike. Move your fists side by side as you touch. If you hear a hollow sound, no beam is there. However, a fixed sound indicates that you have found a beam. Use a drill to screw a hook to the ceiling. When you find a beam, use a cordless drill to drill a hole in the beam.
Drill a hole for your pulleys and make them work on the ceiling. Next, estimate the length between your bike saddle and handlebars. Once you’ve screwed up a ceiling to make sure the location of handlebars. The two pulleys should run in two rows to which they are attached.
Step 5: Thread The Rope Through The Hole
Before making your other hook into the ceiling, pull the cord through the correct holes. It can work slightly differently, so pay attention to the manufacturer’s instructions that came with your particular pulley and rope system. Then you tie about eight standard knots to work well.
Step 6: Attach The Second Pulley To The Ceiling Beam
Use a drill to attach another hook into the ceiling the same way. Fix the frame to secure it.
Step 7: Thread The Rope Through The Pulleys
Now two pulleys are attached to the roof, it’s time to pull the rope over the pulleys and hooks that lift your bike. Put your bike to the system using ropes and pulleys. Place one of the hooks under the saddle and another under the handle. Then pull the rope to lift the bike onto. When the bike is up, slowly release the rope and tie the rope. A mechanism on the pulley will keep the bike to hang there when you release the rope.
Above is how to hang a bicycle in detail in the garage. Hope the article can help you know the best way to hang bikes in the garage. See you soon on the following topics on our website.