Knife sharpening is a very familiar habit with homemakers and chefs. To ensure that cooking food is fast and convenient. However, we need to sharpen the knife again when the blade is blunt. In particular, the most popular item for sharpening knives in households is a whetstone. Let’s learn a little more about sharpening a sharp knife with a whetstone in the article below.
Table of Contents
- What Is A Whetstone?
- Distinguish Types Of Knives
- How To Sharpen Your Life On A Whetstone
- Some Notes When Using A Knife To Make It Sharp
What Is A Whetstone?
A whetstone with drills or separate forms has become highly familiar in many fields such as cooking, craft production, mechanical processing, and construction. Whetstones are composed of abrasive particles and binders. These abrasives are made from diamond, rubber, and ceramic. More and more abrasive particles are divided into two groups, natural abrasives, and artificial abrasives, with diverse applications in production.
Most of us will be familiar with whetstones that are used to sharpen knives in the home. But in fact, there are many types of whetstones, and they are used for different industrial production purposes. Therefore, depending on the purpose of use, people produce many different types of whetstones.
Classification By Material
- Steel whetstones: are usually made from abrasive particles with great destructive power, often used for rough grinding, grinding metal surfaces such as cast iron, steel, iron, stainless steel.
- Concrete whetstones: has a variety of sizes, suitable for smoothing concrete surfaces and metal surfaces such as steel, iron, stainless steel.
Classification By Grinding
- Polished whetstone: used to polish many types of surfaces such as iron, steel, stainless steel, wood, glass, or concrete, bringing aesthetics to the product.
- Fine whetstone: this stone has a smooth surface, used in removing stains, old paint stains, preparing for painting, applying new varnish on the product’s surface.
Classification By Grinding Diameter
- A 100mm whetstone is used for machines with a diameter of 100mm, used for abrasive, roughening, and smoothing surfaces.
- A 150mm whetstone usually uses A30R abrasive grains, creating high abrasiveness, helping to polish and clean surface stains very effectively.
- A 200mm whetstone is usually used to grind coarse iron. In addition, on the market, there are 3m-type grinding stones made of harsh abrasives, with good heat resistance, durability, and sharpness.
Distinguish Types Of Knives
The most extensive use of whetstones in households is for sharpening knives. There are many different types of knives that you will need to use during food preparation and cooking. To understand how to sharpen a knife with a whetstone, you also need to understand the types of knives you use at home. There are many different types of knives due to their different functions and uses.
Chefs will need to use more knives to prepare more complex and elaborate dishes. The food processing requirements at the restaurant will be higher; the taste of the food is delicious, but the layout of the food also needs to be beautiful. If you have domestic time at home, you can pay more attention to bringing more delicious and beautiful meals to your family.
You may want to check out this latest guide about great camping knives.
Based On Function And Specialized Style
– Peeling knives: their length is from 7-10cm, the handle is long. Their design is to help to peel fruit and vegetables, and you only need to use the upper blade. This knife is suitable for peeling apples, fruits, or other vegetables, even chop or trim onions, garlic.
– Multi-purpose knives: the multi-purpose knife usually has a serrated edge; the blade part is about 13cm long, it is used to cut meat and more giant vegetables when using a paring knife. Besides, it is also used for you to prepare sandwiches.
– Bread knives: This knife has a serrated or scalloped edge, sometimes a combination of both. This knife has a long, flat blade that allows you to cut a hard and thick crust on a loaf without tearing or creasing them. It is also a good knife for cutting vegetables.
– Engraving knife: this type of knife has a sharp tip or a round nose, a flat body. You can use it to remove meat from bones, cut fried foods, or grilled meats. The blade is usually about 20cm or more; sometimes, it has a groove on the blade to keep the meat out of sticks.
– Filter knife: its designs are slender, sharp, size from 12-17 cm to help remove meat and fish easily.
– Cutting knife: its characteristic is that the blade is thick, heavy, and strong, and the blade is slightly curved. It is used for chopping, slicing, or mincing meat
–Chef’s Knife or French Knife: This knife is designed in the form of a medium or thin blade, a slightly curved blade style, and various lengths. It comes in many sizes that can help you tackle chopping or cutting quickly.
Classification Of Knives Based On Material
– Forged steel knives: You don’t need to worry about dropping the handle. This knife is made of steel; the blade and handle are one piece. However, the disadvantage is that when holding, it is not tight; this affects the fast-slow operation when processing.
– Cutting steel knife: It’s cheap. This knife is made from stainless steel. It’s not as solid and sturdy as a forged steel knife, but it’s good quality and fits every budget.
– Carbon steel knife: it has good sharpness. The blade is relatively smooth, sharp, and powerful. You may not need to sharpen it as often but still keep the sharpness of the knife. Due to the suitable materials, it is definitely worth your money.
– Stainless steel knife: Light and shiny. The type of knife is made of stainless steel, which is quite popular, has good shine and high durability. However, this material quickly wears out, so you need to sharpen it regularly for better use.
How To Sharpen Your Life On A Whetstone
Need to classify knives to determine the necessary sharpness for knives when sharpening. Usually, there are two types of knives in your family, a cutting knife used to cut hard and large foods and a type used to cut vegetables or peel fruits. A peeling knife used to peel light items such as vegetables or fruits will need a higher sharpness than a knife for chopping hard food ingredients. You also need to classify the materials to use the knife, do not mix them for better storage and sharpening when needed.
Sharpening a thicker knife will take more time, and the difficulty of sharpening the knife is also more incredible. However, most of the knives you often use at home today are made of stainless steel. They have moderate durability during use and can be sharpened easily with a whetstone.
Distinguish The Roughness Of The Whetstone’s Surface
Usually, on the surface of the whetstone, there will be two sides with two different roughnesses, so you can adjust to sharpen the knife as desired. Usually, more delicate surfaces will help you sharpen your knives with better sharpness, but not necessarily sharpening knives on smoother surfaces will immediately have the same effect. Again, it depends on the bluntness of the knife.
If the knife has a low blunt, then you should sharpen it with a smoother surface. On the other hand, if the knife has a higher blunt, you need to sharpen it on a rougher surface first. Usually, we will base the knife’s sharpness to think about whether to sharpen the knife or not. But to sharpen your knives more effectively, you should actively take the time to sharpen them. If only you sharpen it in a short time, the knife will quickly become blunt again.
Determining The Type Of Whetstones
Whetstones are also classified based on usage: water-based and oil-based whetstones. For sharpening a knife effectively, you need to master the rules of use of each type of whetstone. Most of the whetstone you use are water-based. Therefore, you need to thoroughly soak it with water for 45 minutes before you start sharpening knives.
Effectively Sharpening Technique For Knives
When sharpening a knife, you need to keep it at an angle of 20 degrees to the surface of the whetstone. Although the force you use to sharpen it is also moderate, it is necessary to use equal force on all blade positions to make the knife sharp and durable. The number of sharpening times must also be long enough so that the knife is not quickly blunt again.
Some Notes When Using A Knife To Make It Sharp
For making it to be durable and highly effective, you need to note a few things:
- Size: Choose a knife that has a suitable size to the food you are cutting. For example, a small knife won’t be handy for slicing a large beef, so use a slicing knife.
- Flexibility: Some tasks require a flexible task, while others require a sturdy blade. Think of the knife you choose, for example, to get rid of fish’s scales compared to the knife you need to cut a potato with.
- Cutting edge: The edge of the blade can help you prepare food to be easier or make it harder. For example, the serrated knife is good for chopping hard foods, while the Granton blade is suitable for wet foods like butter.
Some More Notes
- Do not store the knife in a humid place; if possible, use a soft cloth to dry and store the knife in the sheath to increase the life of the knife.
- Should have a separate holder, avoid high-temperature places.
To ensure hygiene and maintain the durability of your knives, make sure you clean your knives right. Here are something to remember when washing your knives:
- Is it safe to use a dishwasher to wash knives? Never wash knives in the dishwasher or immerse them in water. Because of this, for wood-handled knives, the handle will be loose, making the knife challenging to use. In addition, when you put it in the dishwasher, it may cause a strong impact that will damage other items and damage the blade.
- Does your knife have spots where bacteria accumulate? Some knives may be capable of collecting food debris, so check your knives before and after you wash it to block food from building up.
Above is a guide on how to sharpen a knife on a whetstone. If you enjoyed the article, keep checking out our other tutorials on the same topic. Hope this article provides you with a lot of helpful information.