The best mountain bikes brands for beginners are those that offer features like easy handling, great brakes, and durable components that make them safe and dependable. Here are the top brands to look for:
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Mountain Bike Brands for Beginners
- How to Choose Mountain Bikes for Beginners?
- How to choose a mountain bike for women?
- Women’s Mountain Bikes vs Men’s Mountain Bikes
- Things to Consider Before Buying Your First Mountain Bike:
Top 10 Best Mountain Bike Brands for Beginners
Mongoose is a renowned top mountain bike brand in the US and other parts of the world. It is quite popular among beginners. Mongoose bikes are made in the United States. They are sold throughout the world. The company was founded in 1979 and is based in Northern California. Mongoose manufactures their bikes in Taiwan. Mongoose mountain bikes are good because they are affordable and relatively easy to handle for beginners.
Most Popular Mongoose Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Mongoose FSR XC
- Mongoose WILDCAT4 26″ Full Suspension Mountain Bike
- Mongoose FSR Comp Carbon 29″ Mountain Bikes
GT bikes are top notch when it comes to performance and quality. They are refined, well-built, and good looking. You can enjoy a great ride on the trails if you have a GT mountain bike at your disposal. GT is an American company that was founded in 1973. Its headquarters is in California. GT manufactures high tech components like bikes and skateboards for starters, but they produce many more products as well.
Top 3 GT Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- GT Aggressor 24″ Hard Tail Complete Mountain Bike
- GT Series Podium Full Suspension Mountain Bike 21 Speed
- GT XCR 29er 1
Canyon is a premium bike brand that makes high quality bicycles at an affordable price. Canyon was founded in 2002. They are headquartered in Koblenz, Germany. The company sells its products through dealers and independent shops all over the world.
Most Popular Canyon Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Carbon 29″ Complete Mountain Bike
- Canyon Torque AL 6.0 2019 Mountain Bike Frameset 29″
- Canyon Torque AL 7.0 2019 Mountain Bike Frameset 29″
Fuji is a reputed brand that is popular for its affordable mountain bikes. They produce Trek-grade bikes at a lower price than most other brands look to be. The company was founded in 1982. Its headquarters is in Bloomington, Minnesota. Fuji produces various types of products from bikes to paintball markers to cookers and camp stoves for outdoorsmen to name but a few.
Most Popular Fuji Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Fuji Absolute 3
- Fuji Absolute 2
- Fuji Absolute 1
Raleigh was founded in the US in 1891. They produce lots of different types of products ranging from bikes to computers and kitchen appliances but their most recognized product is their successful line of mountain bikes. The brand has been selling bicycles ever since it was founded.
Most Popular Raleigh Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Raleigh Hard Rock 27.5″ Mountain Bike, Black/Silver
- Raleigh Django 2 26″ Mountain Bike, Charcoal/Red/Blue
- Raleigh Firebird 26″ Mountain Bike, Red/Black/Blue
Salsa Bicycles is a premium bicycle company that produces high quality products. Salsa started in 1988 and has been selling bicycles ever since then. Salsa bikes are popular among beginners because they are affordable and good looking.
Most Popular Salsa Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Salsa Mukluk 29″ Hardtail Mountain Bike
- Salsa Vaya 29″ Full Suspension Mountain Bike
- Salsa Timberjack 29″ Mountain Bike
Kona Bicycles is also a highly regarded brand in the bike industry. It was founded in 1993. Kona manufactures bikes, apparel, and accessories for cyclists. Kona produces bikes for different categories of riders from everyday commuters to speed lovers.
Most Popular Kona Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Kona Big Honzo 29er Mountain Bike, Carbon/Blue & Yellow/Black
- Kona Cinder Cone 29″ Mountain Bike, Black/Orange/Blue
- Kona Coven 29″ Mountain Bike, Black/Blue/White
Marin Bikes is a well-known and highly regarded brand that manufactures bikes for different types of riders. Marin was founded in 1980. They are based in San Francisco and sell their products through dealers and independent shops all over the world.
Most Popular Marin Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Marin San Rafael Carbon 29″ Mountain Bike Frame
- Marin Mount Vision Carbon 29″ Complete Mountain Bike
- Marin Pine Mountain 1 27.5″ Complete Mountain Bike
Diamondback is another popular brand of mountain bikes that are manufactured in the United States and sold worldwide. The company was founded in 1987, and its headquarters are located in Kent, Washington. Diamondback mountain bikes are innovations on the road. You shall be spoilt with their perfect design and quality.
Top 3 Diamondback Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Diamondback Insight Sport 26″ Mountain Bike for Beginners
- Diamondback Bicycles Element Full Suspension Mountain Bike – Black/Blue/Green Frameset 26″ (27.5″)
- Diamondback MudJaws 26″ Hardtail Mountain Bike
Scott is one of the most popular and reputable brands of mountain bikes in the US and in other parts of the world. Its headquarters are located in Richmond, Virginia. Scott mountain bikes have been manufactured and sold since 1984. You will find that Scott has bikes for beginners as well as bikes for experienced cyclists.
Top 3 Scott Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Scott Scale 710 27.5″ Wheels Full Suspension Mountain Bikes
- Scott Voltage 180 29er Hardtail Bike – 2017 (29″) (2017 Model)
- Scott Voltage 275 Alloy 27,5″ Wheels Full Suspension Bike
Specialized is a top company that manufactures mountain bikes as well as many other products. The headquarters are located in Morgan Hill, California. Specialized began manufacturing bicycles in 1974. The mountain bikes by this company have great features and are very durable and long lasting.
Top 3 Specialized Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Specialized Rockhopper Pro 29″ Mountain Bike (2017) (29″) (2017 Model)
- Specialized Ruby Comp 27.5″ Mountain Bike (2018) (27.5″) (2018 Model)
- Specialized Camber Comp 650b 27,5″ Wheels Flat Mount Disc Brakes 29er Hardtail Mountain Bikes
Intense is a well-known bike company that produces awesome mountain bikes. The company is known for its cutting edge designs and good quality components. Intense bikes are made in the United States of America and sold worldwide.
Top 3 Intense Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Intense Carbine Comp DS P2 | Full Suspension Mountain Bike (2018) (27.5″) (2018 Model)
- Intense Carbine Comp DS 29″ Hardtail Mountain Bike (2018) (29″) (2018 Model)
- Intense Carbine Comp DS Carbon 29″ Travel Full Suspension Mountain Bike (2018) (29″)
Giant is a well-known brand in the US that manufactures and sells its bikes worldwide. The headquarters are located in Seattle, Washington. The company was founded in California. Its sales department is based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Giant mountain bikes are known for their quality and durability.
Top 3 Giant Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Giant Race Face Turbine 29 Lite 1×1 Aluminum Mountain Bike (27.5″) (2018 Model)
- Giant Stance 1 Dual-Suspension 29er Mountain Bike (2018) (29″)
- Giant Complete Trance 4 29″ Women’s Mountain Bike 3
Rocky Mountain bikes are great for beginners. They are made in the United States and sold worldwide. Rocky mountain bikes have excellent quality, and they are relatively affordable. Rocky mountain bikes are an American company. The headquarters are in Golden, Colorado. Rocky Mountain was founded in 1963, and the company is based in Utah.
Top 3 Rocky Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 7.1 Women’s 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike – 2017 (29″) (2017 Model)
- Rocky Mountain Slayer 26″- Full Suspension Mountain Bike (26″) (2018 Model)
- Rocky Mountain Altitude M4 High Performance 29″ Mountain Bike, 6.5-Inch Wide Aluminum Frame, Women’s 27.5 Inch
Cannondale is one of the top brands when it comes to mountain bikes. Its bicycles are made in Taiwan and sold all over the world. The company was founded in 1986, and its headquarters are located in Malibu, California. Cannondale mountain bikes have the best quality and design.
Top 3 Cannondale Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Cannondale Trail 4 27.5″ Mountain Bike (2018) (27.5″) (2018 Model)
- Cannondale Trail Camber Comp 29er Mountain Bike – 2018 (29″) (2018 Model)
- Cannondale Trail 29er 26″ Mountain Bike – 2017 (26″) (2017 Model)
Trek is a renowned company that makes bikes, accessories, and components. The headquarters of this brand are located in Wisconsin and California. Trek was founded by two school friends in 1976. Trek mountain bikes are known for their superior quality.
Top 3 Trek Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Trek Fuel EX 8 29er (2018) (29″) (2018 Model)
- Trek Marlin 5 Women’s 27.5″ Aluminum Mountain Bike (2018) (27.5″) (2018 Model)
- Trek Stache 7 29er (2018) (29″) (2018 Model
Cervelo is a company that was founded in California in 1997. It is a brand of high racing bikes, and it mainly sells them to professional cyclists and triathletes across the world. Cervelo mountain bikes are manufactured in Taiwan, and they are sold worldwide.
Top 3 Cervelo Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Cervelo R3 Ultegra 29er 3 (2018) (29″) (2018 Model)
- Cervelo S5 Carbon Ultegra 11 Speed 27,5″ Wheels Tt/St Mountain Bike (27.5″) (2018 Model)
- Cervelo S5 Tt Csr Ultegra 11 Speed 27,5″ Wheels Full Suspension Mountain Bike (27.5″)
Felt makes quality mountain bikes that are sold worldwide. Felt bikes are very affordable and come at different prices with different components. Some of the bikes have suspension, wheels, and frames. Felt bikes are manufactured in the United States of America.
Top 3 Felt Bicycles for Beginners
- Felt HiFi 29er 26″ Hardtail Mountain Bike – 2018 (26″) (2018 Model)
- Felt RT8 WSD Alloy 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike (2018) (29″) (2018 Model)
- Felt Bicycles 2017 DSW SLR 1 Red, 27.5″ Wheels Disc Brake Full Suspension Mountain Bikes
Ibis is a company that makes lightweight bikes for different purposes. The headquarters of this brand are in the Netherlands, and they are sold all over the world. Ibis bikes have great quality features and are extremely durable.
Top 3 Ibis Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Ibis Mojo HD4 29er 1×11 Hardtail Mountain Bike (2018) (29″) (2018 Model)
- Ibis Mojo 3 27.5″ Wheels Hardtail Mountain Bike (2018) (27.5″) (2018 Model)
- Ibis Ripley LS 29er 2×10 Men’s Mountain Bike
Orbea is a company based in Spain that makes mountain bikes for many different purposes. Orbea bikes are all high quality, and they come at different prices. The company was founded in 1892, and its headquarters are located in Basque Country.
Top 3 Orbea Mountain Bikes for Beginners
- Orbea Alma 29er 1×11 Hardtail Mountain Bike (2018) (29″) (2018 Model)
- Orbea Rallon Apex 27.5″ Wheels Hardtail Mountain Bike (2018) (27.5″) (2018 Model)
- Orbea Rallon AL 15.0 Hardtail Mountain Bikes
How to Choose Mountain Bikes for Beginners?
There are different types of mountain bikes, and beginners should choose the one that best meets their needs based on the type of riding they will do. You can purchase a bike with a rigid frame, or you can buy one with a suspension system to smoothen your ride. It is important to keep in mind that mountain bikes are usually more expensive than regular bikes, but they are worth it because of the quality and durability they have.
The most important thing to consider when buying a mountain bike is the budget. The best way to calculate your budget is to add up the cost of the bike and all accessories that come with it. You must consider extra costs such as maintaining your bike, and replacing parts in case they are damaged or worn out.
Mountain Bikes under $1000
Mountain bikes that are priced below $1000 are a great option for beginners. These bikes are usually low-quality and can only last a few years. The lower the price, the less quality the bike has. Here’s a list of mountain bikes under $1000.
Mountain Bikes under $500
Bikes that are under $500 are not the best choice. They’re usually of low-quality and can only last a few years because of the materials used to make them.
Mountain Bikes under $300
Mountain bikes that are under $300 are a very low-quality option. They’re mostly made of cheap, low-quality materials, and they have a poor design. The good thing is that most of these bikes are assembled at home by the riders themselves.
Mountain Bikes under $200
Mountain bikes that are under $200 are usually the lowest-quality options. They have low-quality parts, and they come with a poor design.
Types of Mountain Bikes
Mountain bikes come in different types and sizes with various features. Here are the different types of mountain bikes.
- XC (Cross Country) – Cross country mountain bikes are made for lightweight, efficient riding. They are great for racing and trail pursuits like singletrack, cross country, and endurance XC routes. They usually have around 100 to 120mm of travel and a lockout mechanism that gives efficiency over technical terrain. The tires are usually wide, and they have rigid frames.
- Trail – Trail mountain bikes are designed for rugged terrain. The tires are wide and have some tread, and the frame is made from aluminum or carbon fiber. They have 90 to 120mm of travel.
- AM (All-Mountain) – These types of bikes can do anything from downhill to cross country trail riding. They can handle just about anything you throw at them! The tires on these bikes are fatter than the trails and usually have more tread than XC bikes, they also have suspension systems to smooth out the ride.
- Enduro – Enduros are mountain bikes for all-out performance and adventure. They may have downtownd components like shallow rims, narrow tires, and suspension forks. They have around 120mm of travel with lightweight frames made from aluminum.
- Freeride – Freeride mountain bikes are made for downhill racing. They have a lot of hard parts that aren’t visible such as the shocks and a suspension fork. They are made for aggressive downhill racing.
- Foldable – Foldable mountain bikes are made for easy transportation. They can be folded for easy storage, and they may have extra wheels at the front or back to make them more stable when folded.
How to choose a mountain bike for women?
There are different kinds of mountain bikes for female riders. They are all very different and have different features. Here is a list of them:
- Women’s specific Mountain Bike – These bikes have an extra curve at the front to accommodate a specific woman’s riding position. The bikes can also be made with wider tires and longer reach because the rider needs to place their feet closer together to fit on the bike.
- Sporty Women’s Mountain Bike – Sporty women’s mountain bikes have a sportier design than those for casual riders.
- Women’s Enduro Bike – This bike has a longer top tube and lower stand over height with a slacker head tube angle.
- Women’s Road Bike – Women’s road bikes are lighter and have a shorter top tube to accommodate a tighter fit for women.
Women’s Mountain Bikes vs Men’s Mountain Bikes
Women’s mountain bikes are very different from men’s mountain bikes. The main differences between the two types are the following:
- Women usually need a slightly sloped top tube to accommodate a smaller frame size and to sit higher for more control while riding. It is also better if the bike has a taller head tube to match with a shorter stem.
- Women usually need to choose smaller tires with less width in order to fit into a narrower frame and reach that is better for women’s smaller legs.
- Women tend to have narrower hips and lower center of gravity, so the seat height should be a little lower and the bars should be positioned closer to the knees for better control on the bike.
- The suspension fork will have a lower travel than an air shock and may only have a few inches travel in total which is better for women riding shorter distances.
- The frame design should be slacker because most women’s frames are slacker which is better in handling short aggressive corners or going uphill.
Things to Consider Before Buying Your First Mountain Bike:
There are a few things you should consider before buying your first mountain bike. There are a lot of different components that make up the parts of a mountain bike, and each component plays an important role in the overall functionality of a mountain bike. Here are some things to keep in mind while shopping for your first mountain bike.
Below is a list of all the different components that make up the parts of a mountain bike. The purpose of each component is highlighted:
- Frame – The frame is the main support for the bike. Usually made from aluminum, it can also be made from carbon fiber and steel.
- Fork – The fork is one of the key components of a mountain bike. It takes the impact of hitting obstacles like rocks and roots, and it is supported by an axle that is attached to the frame.
- Headset – Located at the top of your fork, supports the fork and stem.
- Stem – The stem connects to the handlebars and allows you to control the bike’s steering.
- Handlebars – This is the place where we hold our hands on the bike; however, it is also used for braking and shifting the gears on your mountain bike.
- Brakes – Located in front of you, brakes stop your mountain bike before it moves forward or backward. It is a two-piece system that has the brake pads and a lever.
- Wheels – Mountain bikes come with different types of wheels such as disc, rim, and hardtail. The disc wheel is especially popular because it can do just about anything. Just like the frame, it is made from different types of metals and materials including aluminum, carbon fiber, steel, titanium, or chromoly steel.
- Tires – The tires take all the weight of your mountain bike by supporting the ground you are riding on.
- Cassette – The cassette is a collection of gears on the rear wheel.
- Chain – Connects the cassette to the rear tire and provides power from your pedals to your wheels.
- Crank set – The crank set is what we pedal with our feet on a mountain bike. It consists of a crank and chain ring that transfers power from our legs to movement of the bike forward or in reverse.
- Bottom bracket – Connects the crank set to the rear wheel and holds all the other components together.
- Derailleur – Also known as a derailleur, this is an extra piece that connects your chain to your cassette; it allows you shift gears.
- Derailleur guard / Chain catcher – This is a steel or plastic piece that protects your chain from getting caught on other parts of the bike or falling off it in rough terrain.
- Weight – The last component to consider is the weight of your mountain bike. It’s much easier to pedal uphill, but it becomes difficult when you have too much weight on your bike.