Lake George is a place of wonderment and beauty in the Adirondacks of upstate New York. Lake George can be enjoyed by people who enjoy swimming, boating, fishing, hiking, and just spending time with nature.
Table of Contents
- Things to Do at Lake George
- About Lake George
- Lake George Attractions : Views for Sighseeing
- What are some things to do at Lake George Camping Area?
- What to Bring to Lake George Camping?
- What are the prices for hotels near Lake George?
- Are there Amtrak trains that will take me to Lake George?
- How many feet is Lake George deep?
- How many square miles is Lake George?
- Is there a speed limit on the Lake George lake road?
- Are there any special events at Lake George in August?
- What is Lake George’s weather like in September?
- What are some fun things to do at Lake George in May?
- What should I pack for a trip to Lake George?
- Is fishing allowed in Lake George?
- How long is Lake George?
- Is there a fee to swim at Lake George?
- Are there any beaches in Lake George?
- Where is Lake George located?
- What time is it at Lake George?
- How big is Lake George in miles?
- How deep is Lake George?
- Is Lake George frozen over?
- How long does it take to drive from Lake George to Albany?
- Is there a lighthouse on Lake George?
- What’s the weather like in the summer at Lake George?
- What is the average temperature of Lake George in August?
- Are there any resorts near Lake George?
Things to Do at Lake George
Some popular activities at Lake George:
Swimming at Lake George – all year long! There are three public beaches open during the warmer months for visitors to swim in clean water that can get quite deep towards the shoreline. There is a big sandy area to spread out to get a tan, or you can rent one of the many Adirondack chairs set up on the beach.
Boating at Lake George – if you love boating, Lake George is a great place for it! There are several lakeside boat launches that provide access to a number of other lakes and ponds in the region. You can rent boats from any of several local boat rental companies. You could also charter a sailboat or powerboat trip. Or go out on a paddleboat or a canoe. Or even rent a pontoon boat!
Fishing at Lake George – catch some smelly fish to eat! Many people come here to catch and release some delicious-tasting fish like catfish, sunfish, perch, and bass. If you’re lucky, you may catch some of the great trout that make this lake famous. The fishing is different here and the fishing guide at RPI has a great website with a guide to make sure you catch what you came for.
Hiking at Lake George – well, it’s in the Adirondacks after all! There are many areas to hike at Lake George, including the beautiful, historic Thunder Hole. Near the lake, there is some excellent hiking in the Champlain Mountains. For an easier stroll, go to Crystal Lake or start your hike by walking down Wharf Road.
Camping at Lake George – there are several campgrounds in and around Lake George. For everyone, there are lots of great hiking trails and a beautiful lake to swim in! A great place for children to swim! There’s excellent water-skiing, wake-boarding, boating, and fishing all right from the campground. Or go out on a pontoon boat or go down on your own pontoon boat. Everyone can have a great time.
Adirondack Guide Service – offers private tours, hikes, fishing and other activities. They also rent bicycles and boats. The guide service at Lake George can help make sure you’ve got the right guide for the right kind of trip.
Recreation at Lake George – there are boat rentals, hiking, swimming and camping. For all ages there is a number of things to enjoy around Lake George.
Events at Lake George – every year there are many events at Lake George that are held to celebrate different times in the year. It’s a great place for:
Summer activities at Lake George – the summer is one of the most popular seasons for visitors to come up to the Adirondacks. During the summer months, there are many different types of events such as festivals and rodeos. There is also: the annual Lake George regatta, fireworks, and lots of concerts at the Lake George Music Festival . Heated swimming at the beach is available in addition to guided fishing and kayaking tours.
Winter activities at Lake George – during the winter months there are fewer visitors to enjoy it for its natural beauty. Many visitors choose to spend their days ice-skating on Lake George’s frozen surface, skiing, snowshoeing and ice climbing.
Events at Lake George – there are many events that are held throughout the year at Lake George. There is always something to do.
About Lake George
Lake George is a popular tourist destination, but also an important recreational area for local residents as well.
Lake George Name
The first European to visit Lake George was French explorer Samuel de Champlain in 1615. At the time he was trying to find the Northwest Passage to China through Canada. He followed the lake’s northeast shore and saw Lake George for the first time. He named the lake “Lac du St. Sacrement” (Lake of the Blessed Sacrament). Over the years, different explorers came to Lake George and made changes to the sound as we know it today. The lake was called by many names including Lake St. Sacrament, Lac du Saint Sacrement, Saranac River, and Seneca Lake.
Lake George Founder
Finally in 1755, the name Lake George was given by John Montresor, a British engineer working for the Crown. He was sent to find the best place to build Fort Oswego, which was a fort that would help protect the portage between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. He saw the lake and thought it “looked an awful lot like ‘Lake Georgeway’ in Scotland”. It wasn’t until 1804 that the name was officially changed to Lake George.
Lake George Interesting Stories
The lore surrounding the lake is rich and many interesting stories are told about this beautiful area. The story of the Pigeon Tree is a story about General Robert Rogers. Rumor has it that he hid a treasure in the tree which was to be found by anyone who could find a way to get up into the tree. The legend is that no one was able to ascend the tree until Rogers himself. He told his men to wait for him at their horses and he went back to retrieve something. When he returned, he had a bag of rice which he dumped on the ground beneath him. His men had a hard time getting up the tree but finally Robert was able to make it to the top. As he looked around him, he found a bag of gold and jewels. The legend also has it that if you eat the cherries that grow on the branches of the tree, you will be blessed with good luck.
The Legend of “Thunder Hole” came from an old Iroquois myth. One day, two brothers were fishing at Lake George when one was attacked by a monster fish who tried to chew off his head. The other brother tried to help his brother by setting off a firework by lighting a fuse. The explosion scared the monster away and the fish left. The brothers felt very sorry for having caused the death of their brother but eventually they came to terms with it. Both are now buried side by side on Thunder Hole Island, which is located at the edge of Lake George and Thunder Hole.
Lake George Events
Lake George is a great place to be, especially during the summer months. Here are some great events that take place at Lake George:
- Autumn at Lake George – from September to November, Lake George is a beautiful place to be with lots of great events. Some of the event names: Fall Foliage Festival, Annual Harvest Festival, and the Apple Harvest.
- Winter at Lake George – from November to March, visitors can enjoy the winter wonderland. Snow-shoeing, ice-skating and skiing are popular activities around the lake during this season. Example of the event names: Winterfest, Winterfest Lights, Winterfest in the Pines, etc.
- Spring at Lake George – from April to June, visitors can enjoy pleasant temperatures and light rain along with some cool breezes. The lake is warm enough for swimming and boating during this season. Some of the event names: Annual Apple Festival, Lake George Spring Fling Funland, etc.
- Summer at Lake George – during the summer months, visitors may enjoy the many events that are held around the lake. They may hike around the trails through the forest and walk by the water. Some of the events include: The Lake George Arts Festival, Artists at Wiltse Farm, Music at the Pier, and the Lake George Jazz Festival.
Lake George Attractions : Views for Sighseeing
Here are the attraction locations that will take users to some of the scenic views:
- Zirkel’s Point, Boating and Fishing – Boating and fishing are the main activities that users can enjoy around the lake. Around Zirkel’s Point, users may go fishing in one of the many fishing holes. Users may also go swimming in this area as well.
- Lord Fletcher’s, Restaurant and Bar – Users may enjoy the many delicious foods that are served at this restaurant. The atmosphere is casual and welcoming.
- Wiltse’s Farmers Market – This is a great place to go for fresh fruits and veggies. There are plenty of farms that surround the lake, so fresh fruits and vegetables are abundant in this area during certain times of the year.
- The Boardwalk, Walking and Biking – The boardwalk is a popular location for visitors to walk around. Here, users may walk under the shade of the trees or ride their bikes on the path along side the lake.
- The Lighthouse, A Walk Around – Here users may view the lighthouse, a beacon that guides boats to safe harbor. Visitors can walk around and enjoy the scenic views of Lake George.
- Lake George Beach – This is a great place to go for relaxing. Park your bike along the beach and relax in the sun. Visitors may also enjoy the fishing off of this area as well.
- Fourmile Beach – This is another popular, wonderful beach where visitors can enjoy swimming or boating.
- Lake George State Park – Here users may enjoy many things during their time on the lake. They may go hiking, fishing, biking, swimming and boating in the area.
What are some things to do at Lake George Camping Area?
You can spend the day swimming and enjoy boating as well as exploring and hiking any time you like. There are also special events such as music festivals and fireworks in August.
What to Bring to Lake George Camping?
Camping is one of the best ways to get away from it all, and that’s why many people love to do it. Camping requires a lot of equipment and planning before you go so you’ll know exactly what you need. Even though camping can require a lot of time and effort, it often ends up being worth the effort in the end.
When packing for your trip, be sure to include these items:
- A two person tent is a great option for a camping trip. If you go with 5-10 people, you may need 10-person tent. If you have children, be sure to bring a big tent for 10 people that can accommodate them.
- A sleeping bag – This will keep you warm at night when temperatures drop below freezing
- A pad or sleeping mattress – If you’re not bringing a tent, this will help make your nights more comfortable
- Camping stove or lantern – This is used to boil water for coffee and warm food
- Lanterns or flashlights – You’ll need these for nighttime activities such as watching the stars and going on a flashlight hike
- A camping knife – For cutting ropes, making shelter, etc.
- Sunscreen – This will protect you from the sun’s UV rays, which can cause damage to your skin and eyes
- Bug spray – Bugs can be a nuisance with all that is outdoors
- Small water bottle – This helps to hydrate you during your trip and could come in handy in emergencies
- Toilet paper or washcloth – This is for cleaning up after using the latrine
- Towel – The campground may not provide towels so be sure to bring your own.
- Camping tea kettle – The tea kettle is a safety device that is used to heat water for tea. Typically, the kettle boils the water and then pours it into a teacup. This can also be used to make simple soups or other warm or hot drinks.
- Fishing Finder – A fishing finder is a device that helps to locate fish in a lake. There are many different types of fishing finders available.
What are the prices for hotels near Lake George?
Availability varies based on the hotel. For example, the rates for the Best Western PLUS+ Lake George Resort range from $191 to $429 per night.
Are there Amtrak trains that will take me to Lake George?
Yes. Amtrak offers a train service to Lake George Station in Lake George Village. The cost for a round trip ticket is $91 per person.
How many feet is Lake George deep?
Lake George is about 870+ feet deep at the deepest point in the Lake.
How many square miles is Lake George?
Lake George is 17 miles long and 5 miles wide (approx) 43 square miles.
Is there a speed limit on the Lake George lake road?
There is no speed limit on the Lake George lake road, but you need to stay under 15mph through the villages of Bolton, Hague, and Ticonderoga for safety reasons.
Are there any special events at Lake George in August?
Lake George is a popular destination for swimmers, boaters and fishers in the summer months. During the months of August and September there are a number of great events to attend including Lake George Music Festival, Concerts on the Lake, and Regatta.
What is Lake George’s weather like in September?
September is a great time to visit Lake George as one of the most beautiful months of the year. The days are longer, the sun is more plentiful, and there are fewer mosquitoes. The average temperature in September is about 62 degrees Fahrenheit.
What are some fun things to do at Lake George in May?
Lake George has great water sports in May including fishing, surfing, scuba diving and more.
What should I pack for a trip to Lake George?
Summer is the ideal time to visit Lake George. Be sure you bring good walking shoes for exploring this beautiful part of the Adirondacks. You will also want to bring binoculars. The people and wildlife will be very entertaining. Your cell phone should work pretty well as long as you are not out very far away during the day when reception may be spotty in some areas.
Is fishing allowed in Lake George?
Fishing is allowed year-round. You will need to obtain a New York State and/or Vermont fishing license.
How long is Lake George?
Lake George has approximately 43 square miles and is 17 miles long, so it’s not that big.
Is there a fee to swim at Lake George?
The public beaches at Lake George have been kept free as part of an agreement with the state. Visitors will need to show proof of residency to get into the parks, so don’t forget to bring your ID with you.
Are there any beaches in Lake George?
The lakes are naturally sandy and without a lot of rocks in areas where you can swim and sunbathe. The beaches are well maintained and include swimming areas where lifeguards work daily during the summer months.
Where is Lake George located?
Lake George is a lake in the south-central portion of New York State located on the northern shore of Lake George. The lake is located between the cities of Plattsburgh and Lake George Village.
What time is it at Lake George?
The local time at Lake George on this page is Eastern Standard Time (EST). The daylight saving time (DST) in effect for this region is Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).
How big is Lake George in miles?
Lake George is 17 miles long and 5 miles wide, which makes it 43 square miles.
How deep is Lake George?
Lake George is 870 feet deep at the deepest point in the lake. The maximum depth of the lake is 1,130 feet.
Is Lake George frozen over?
Lake George freezes almost entirely over during the winter months from late November to mid March. However, there are a number of ice safe areas around the lake for ice fishing.
How long does it take to drive from Lake George to Albany?
It takes 2.5 to 4 hours driving time via the NYS Thruway, Interstate 87. Driving time via the Adirondack Northway is 4 to 6 hours.
Is there a lighthouse on Lake George?
There is no lighthouse on Lake George. A small light beam does project from the tip of Spruce Point in Ticonderoga Harbor to guide ships at night through the rough waters of the entrance to Lake George.
What’s the weather like in the summer at Lake George?
The summers are warm and sunny with highs in the 70’s. The winters are snowy and bitter cold with temperatures in the 20’s.
What is the average temperature of Lake George in August?
August averages about a high of 77 degrees Fahrenheit with lows of 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
Are there any resorts near Lake George?
There are many great hotels near Lake George Village including the Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Best Western Plus Plus+ Lake George Resort, Courtyard by Marriot, and more. You can check availability for these hotel locations on this page: Book Your Hotel Near Lake George Inn & Resort.