If you’ve never bought a tactical backpack before, don’t worry – we’re here to help. You’re about to get a crash course on which features are worth paying for and why, how to size your backpack for comfort (since this is something that most of us might not have done before), and our top five choices for affordable backpacks for beginners.
Common Features to Look for
There are a number of features on a tactical backpack that is common and you’ll want to consider before you make your purchase. These include:
Comfort Straps – It’s important to look for backpacks that have padded shoulder and waist straps, as this will make your bag more comfortable when carrying heavy loads over long distances (and we all know what happens when you have uncomfortable straps).
Load Carrying Capacity – Your tactical backpack will need to be able to comfortably hold everything you need to take with you. This means looking for the total capacity of the bag, as well as its size in cubic inches or liters.
Table of Contents
- Important Factors to Consider When Choosing A Tactical Backpack
- Affordable Backpacks for Beginners
- Do tactical backpacks have water resistance?
- What are some tactical backpack brands?
- Does the tactical backpack come with a hydration bladder?
- Is it possible to get a tactical backpack that is waterproof?
- How do I repair my Tactical Backpack?
- Does the Tactical Backpack come with a warranty?
- Are military backpacks waterproof?
- What’s the difference between Western and Asian Made Tactical backpacks?
- What can I do to help my tactical backpack last longer?
- Is there a way to clean my bag and keep its waterproof capabilities?
- How much weight can a tactical backpack carry?
- How much water does tactical backpack hold?
- What should you carry in your tactical backpack?
Important Factors to Consider When Choosing A Tactical Backpack
There are a few factors to consider when choosing a tactical backpack for yourself, such as:
- Your Budget – First and foremost, you’ll have to decide how much you want to spend on your new pack.
- The Size of Your Load – Are you wanting to get a carry-on bag so you can fly with it, or do you need a larger bag for your large load?
- How to Sizing Your Backpack for Comfort
There are a few steps to follow when sizing your backpack:
- Decide how you want to use the bag – Are you planning on traveling with it?
- Choose your size for the type of load – Light loads are typically measured in liters, while heavier loads are in cubic inches.
- Choose the length of the suspension system (straps) – The best way to do this is by standing with your arms relaxed at your sides, then measure from under your armpits down over your shoulders and chest. The size you want should be long enough to allow enough space for your arms to move freely.
- Choose the width of the suspension system – Measure where you sit on the bag, around your hips and across your chest, then follow the ribbon down to your waist and calculate the width of each strap in inches. Adjust it until it’s close but not too tight.
- Choose a model that feels comfortable on your back – Do this by putting the backpack on and adjusting it to get a good feel for how it will feel with a full load. Remember, your gear is what’s going to be weighing you down, so make sure it doesn’t actually hurt or pull you out of alignment as you walk around with it on.
- Choose a model that fits your torso length – To do this, you’ll need to measure from your C7 bone (the protrusion on your upper back at the base of your neck) all the way down to the small of your back. Your backpack should have straps long enough for you to be able to tighten them comfortably without over-tightening and causing discomfort.
- Choose a model that has the right features for you – Look at any pockets, compartments, and attachment options offered by different bags before making your decision.
- Choose a pack that is ergonomically designed – The only way to do this is by trying on a number of different bags.
- Choose an air-mesh molded foam backpack for maximum comfort – This material can help to distribute the weight of the load evenly across your back, which will greatly reduce any strain or tension you feel throughout the day.
- Choose a backpack with load adjusters – It’s always a good idea to have your straps adjusted at least once before you start walking around with your backpack on, preferably by another person who can see where the problem areas are.
- Choose a bag that is well-supported – Make sure that there are no weak points and that the stitching is well reinforced, as this will help support the weight of your load without risk of breaking or tearing. This way, you can enjoy using your bag for many years to come.
- Choose a backpack that has weather resistant materials – A good way to test if your bag is weather resistant is by shaking it vigorously and looking for any loose threads that might be damaged.
Affordable Backpacks for Beginners
If you’re just starting out with tactical gear, you might not want to break the bank. In that case, these are some of the best affordable backpacks for beginners:
- Condor 3-Day Assault Pack
- Eberlestock J109G3 Fighting Load Carrier Backpack
- TMC Zulu Plus 5-Liter Assault Pack
- Maxpedition Falcon II Backpack
- TMC Zulu Plus 12 Liter Assault Pack
- MOLLE II Tactical Assault Military Army Suspension Bag with 3 Pockets
Click here to check out for a more tactical backpack that will save your money and time.
Do tactical backpacks have water resistance?
Yes, tactical backpacks do have water resistance. This will allow you to protect your gear when there’s a light rain. Some of the backpacks come with build in rain cover pouch which enables the backpack to keep your gears dry all time.
What are some tactical backpack brands?
There are many tactical backpack brands on the market today such as 511 Tactical, Maxpedition, JanSport, SealLine and Mystery Ranch. The main aim of these brands is to design high quality backpacks specifically for military use.
Does the tactical backpack come with a hydration bladder?
Yes. The majority of tactical backpacks come with hydration pouches.
Is it possible to get a tactical backpack that is waterproof?
Yes, it’s possible to find waterproof tactical backpack because just like its name, these backpacks are designed to be used in any conditions. It can withstand heavy rains or strong winds.
How do I repair my Tactical Backpack?
It’s best to check out the product manual and photo gallery online first before you start. It is usually included on the back of the backpacks or in the description of each item.
Does the Tactical Backpack come with a warranty?
Most tactical backpacks come with a limited lifetime warranty which gives you peace of mind when it comes to purchasing a product. To find out more information about the warranty of each backpack, it would be best to check out the product description.
Are military backpacks waterproof?
Some of the military backpacks are waterproof. This means you can store your gears without any worries about getting them wet.
What’s the difference between Western and Asian Made Tactical backpacks?
Asian made tactical backpacks are usually smaller and more light in weight than western ones. They are used in SWAT team or in urban combat missions. On the other hand, Western made tactical backpacks are more durable and can accommodate for heavier loads.
What can I do to help my tactical backpack last longer?
It’s best to make sure that you apply a protective spray or water repellent on your bag to give it an extra layer of protection. You can wipe up any water from your bag with a towel and store it in a dry place until its dried.
Is there a way to clean my bag and keep its waterproof capabilities?
Yes, you can clean your bag with a sponge and a water solution. Make sure that you gently rub and don’t scrub at the material or use any cleaning agents that might damage the bag
How much weight can a tactical backpack carry?
The weight of a tactical backpack can vary based on the model and its features. Most backpacks can carry up to 15-25 pounds of gear.
How much water does tactical backpack hold?
Most military-grade backpacks can hold 1 liter of water. It’s best to check out the product descriptions online or in customer reviews for more information about how many liters each bag holds.
What should you carry in your tactical backpack?
It’s best to carry the basic gear in your tactical backpack. That way, you can always have the essentials with you no matter where you are going. The following is a list of gear that you should carry:
Flashlights – A flashlight can come in handy during any outdoor situation. This is because it will make it easier for you to see where you’re going and what’s around you.
Water – Water is essential for survival especially if it’s hot outside. You should make sure that you’re carrying at least 2 liters of water with you at all times.
Clothes – It’s best to carry a spare set of clothes with you as well in case you get wet or dirty. This will help prevent infections from spreading and allow you to feel fresh. You should make sure that your clothes are lightweight so it won’t add unnecessary weight to your bag.
Medical Kit – A medical kit is important as it can help provide first aid in the event of an emergency or if someone needs immediate attention.
Food – You should be carrying food or snacks with you at all times. It’s best to carry enough food so that you can survive for at least two days in case of an emergency situation.
A Pillow Case – Although it doesn’t seem like much, it can actually make a huge difference in your overall comfort level on a trip. This is because you can store the rest of your gear into the pillow case and easily attach it to the outside of your bag.
Tactical Knife or Camping Knives – A survival knife is essential in any outdoor situation. This is because it can be used to collect firewood, cut through tough materials, and even help you defend yourself.