The journey of Saris began in 1989. At first, Chris and Sara Fortune acquired Graber Products to produce the highest standard bike racks in Madison, Wisconsin. The company uses the “just in time” production method and has a great majority of raw materials acquired around 300 miles of Saris Cycling Group headquarters. Saris Cycling Group, Inc (SCG), the parent company of Saris Racks, has expanded its product range beyond automobile bike racks and bike parking services over the last 32 years.
Saris offers a wide range of bike racks including Trunk Bike, Hitch Bike, Specialty Bike ones. Apart from Bike Trainers and Accessories, the bike racks are what make Saris famous. They are its flagship products, with different models at different prices. Bones has got a 4.5 out of 5-star rating from Bicycling Magazine.
“I am a cyclist and want to bring my bike with me to explore the surroundings everywhere I drive my car to”. If this sounds like you, Saris Bones 2 can help! In addition to that, if you are looking for a product wherein design and utility meet, at a very reasonable cost, then this Saris Bones 2 rack must be on your shortlist!
Saris Bones 2 Review
- Saris Bones 2 is made from 100% recyclable, non-rusting materials
- The arc-based easily keeps most spoilers and splits bikes into multiple levels.
- This bike trunk rack comes with strong injection-molded arms and legs, which can not be found in any other model.
- It is simple to modify ratcheting hold downs.
- With the Saris Bones 2, cars are protected by rubberized feet and the ratcheting anti-sway straps can help secure and stabilize the bike part.
- The bike rack can carry two bicycles (each weighing 35 pounds)
|Vehicle Service Type||Truck|
|Attachment Strap Buckle||Spring Buckle|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||30 x 8 x 30 inches|
|Bike Rack Weight||9 lbs|
|Load Capacity||70 lb (35 lb per bike)|
|Mounting Type||Ratchet Strap|
I am a big fan of cycling and often take my bikes with me whenever I go. And as my vehicle has no hitch or roof rack system, I wanted a trunk bike rack. What I needed was an inexpensive, durable, and easy-to-use model for daily life. Saris Bones 2 was the only bike rack that meets all my needs.
In fact, this bike rack costs the least compared to other models from Saris. Its price is just around $170, while others’ price range is up to over $400. It is also one of the most affordable bike racks to be found on Amazon or other sites. As this has been the flagship product of Saris for many years, there’s also no need to worry about its quality.
Generally, the rack is made up of three legs that attach to the car’s bumper and trunk; which are simple to modify and secure. The ratcheting straps can be easily attached to the car. The rack is also lightweight at 9 lbs, so I can easily install or remove it, on a daily basis without any concern.
It is stated by the manufacturer that Saris Bones 2 is made from 100% recyclable, non-rusting materials, which makes a sense of durability. Cars can be protected by rubberized feet. Saris Bones 2’s thin, flexible anti-sway straps can also protect both bikes and cars, so the model is just ideally durable for my everyday use. There are also spring buckles, which increase the sturdiness of Saris Bones 2.
- Versatility: This model can carry two bikes and has a load capacity of 70 pounds or 35 pounds for each bike. The bicycle is clamped at the top tube and seat tube with 3 plastic straps. This design is perfect for hauling bikes with horizontal top tubes and classic front triangle configurations. The Bones 2 comes with customizable support arms that will accommodate a variety of automobiles.
- Effortless assembly: The Bones 2 is ready to use right out of the box, with no assembly involved. It’s as simple as mounting and attaching it to your car once it’s been unboxed. The provided installation instructions are adequate, but for reference, it’s suggested that you watch the short video on Saris’s website in advance.
- Compact frame: The Saris Bones 2 is made of composite material and weighs only 9 lbs, so it is quite lightweight. This is also one of the most lightweight models of Saris Bones trunk bike racks, allowing for easy removal and storage.
- Easy installation: With a weight of nearly 10 lbs, the Saris Bones 2 bike rack is incredibly compact and can be installed or uninstalled from the car. This model is ideal for everyone, even those who don’t have a lot of muscle strength. The compact and basic rack design also allows for daily installation and removal.
- Durable straps: The straps are Saris-branded ones, which are made of very strong material. There’s plenty of extra straps to go around. They’re simple to fasten and unfasten. Being properly fastened as per the instructions, they would endure a lengthy journey. Metal buckles also contributed to the durability of these straps.
- Anti-sway design: Anti-sway cradles aid in the minimization of bike contact. While other racks require users to concentrate on keeping the bike from swinging, you can completely feel safe with this bike rack. Besides, once you’ve gotten acclimated to how they function, they’re simple to use.
- Lack of security features: With Saris Bones 2, the bikes are held together with nylon straps, and they can’t be locked to the vehicle. A lack of strong security features puts both the bikes and the rack at risk of theft. Furthermore, putting the bikes on the rack takes time, making it inconvenient to remove them and lock them to a lamp post.
- Potential damage to the car finish: This is a common drawback of any rear-mounted bike rack. This Saris Bones 2 attaches to the trunk’s borders and rests against the car’s paint. Because this rack is constantly in touch with your vehicle, it might scratch the car. However, you can minimize this if following proper maintenance.
- Must-be-tied extra straps: The attaching straps are excessively long, resulting in a lot of waste. There are no small loops to handle the added length, and the Bones needs some cunning knot tying to maintain the straps in order.
Buying Guide for Saris Bones 2
The Saris bones on your vehicle are stabilized by two upper and two lower legs. Each leg rotates around a central cylinder separately. This design has the significant advantage of allowing users a highly customized fit for their specific car. The legs’ ends contain rotating rubber feet that allow customers to further adjust the angles on the car. Besides, rather than being completely straight and perpendicular to the car, the Saris Bones 2 comes with arced mounting arms. This facilitates staggered heights of the mounted cycles, resulting in reduced handlebar or saddle contact.
The Saris Bones 2 features ratcheting straps, which are labeled top, bottom, and side. All of them can be attached to the car with ease. These thin, flexible, and anti-sway straps also help to prevent the swaying of bicycles back and forth, minimizing the damage to cars or bikes. Loading and removing typical diamond shape bikes, including road models and hardtail BMX ones, will also be a breeze. They are a little long, but users can tie them or go for a more costly, upgraded version, which hides them.
This bike rack model from Saris can load 2 bikes. This capacity is lower than some other models which can be used to hang 3 bikes. However, its big advantage is that the Saris Bones 2 bike rack can easily accommodate different kinds of bikes. It can be used to attach children’s bikes, BMX bikes, road bikes, etc. Platform racks can’t usually take 16-inch kids’ bikes, but hanging racks may, thanks to the help of a top tube adapter. Customers said that they were able to carry bikes of most sizes, from a large men’s BMX to a 16″ kids bike using the Saris Bones 2.
This bike rack requires some steps of maintenance, after each usage or after 3 months in use. After every use, you should use a damp cloth, wipe the feet of the trunk rack, and look for any dangling bolts. Every 90 days, take the following actions: Use water and a little soap to sanitize. If necessary, oil the locks (use wet, oil-based lubricant). Threads of hitch bolts should be greased. Finally, remember to examine the paint for flaws.
Manufacturer & warranty information
Regarding warranty, only the original purchaser is supported. This Saris Bones 2, just like any other bike rack from the same manufacturer, comes with a limited lifetime guarantee. However, this is available for North America-based customers only. For more information about this policy, Limitations, and Exclusions, you can visit Saris website at https://www.saris.com/support/warranty
Question 1: How to know whether Saris Bones 2 is compatible with my car?
In fact, there is a wide range of car models that can mount this bike rack. For example, it might perfectly fit Ford Fusion 2016, VW Beetles, 97 BMW Z3, etc. If you want to check on the compatibility of Saris Bones 2 with your specific car, visit the Saris website. You can also contact their customer support for proper size guidance via email at [email protected]
Question 2: Will the finish of the vehicle be affected by this Saris bike rack?
Hardy any damage has been reported by customers. The clamps that grab the sides are treated, and as long as they were mounted properly, this should not occur. It is also suggested that you should use tape or something similar where each clamp will come into contact to avoid this.
Question 3: How is Saris Bones 2 track different from Bones Ex one?
According to Saris, it accommodates 20% more vehicles than the previous Bones. The Bones mounting legs’ were improved in design, helping avoid contact with most spoilers. The feet are also superior to the classic Bones and many other trunk carriers for cars with flat backs, such as vans and SUVs.
Question 4: How difficult is it to install and remove this bike rack? Are the bikes safe with just the straps that come with them?
After the initial setup and modifications, it’s fairly simple. The bikes are safe. The rack is mounted on the trunk, and the straps keep everything in place. Besides, as the trunk can be opened with the rack in place, users may not need to uninstall it as frequently.
Question 5: Will Saris Bones 2 interfere with my rear-view camera?
In most cases, there will be no problem with the camera at the rear of the car. The height of the rack can be adjusted by sliding the upper leg down or up on the trunk lid to avoid ruining the view. However, the bicycles, on the other hand, may activate cameras or block the view. This will not be a problem if you use side mirrors.
Question 6: What is the distance between the arms? To utilize this, how much clearance will I need on the inside of the bike chassis?
The arms of the bones can be moved. If you want them to be suitable for lighter bikes while also supporting larger ones, you should keep the arms 9″ apart for the optimum balance. Aside from clearance, another consideration is whether the bike has a straight or angled top tube. This angle may cause a bike to be crookedly positioned on the rack and too low down.