Ignaz Schwinn, a German engineer, established the Schwinn Bicycle Company in 1895. During the entire twentieth century, it was the leading American bike maker. After going bankrupt in the late 1990s, The Schwinn is now a brand of Nautilus, Inc – a global Fitness equipment seller, designer, and manufacturer located in Vancouver, Washington, USA. The Nautilus also owns Bowflex, Modern Movement, Octane Fitness, and Universal.
The Schwinn specializes in upright and indoor cycling bikes, which are highly recommended by experts. The Schwinn 170 Upright Bike e-store becomes Amazon’s choice, ranking 95 in Top Exercise Bikes. It is also rated 4.4 out of 5 stars by nearly 2000 customers.
Are you looking for an affordable bike that can be utilized for competitive exercise, muscle strengthening, or calorie burn? If yes, then this is your ideal choice! The Schwinn 170 upright bike is one of the most adaptable upright bicycles available.
Table of Contents
Schwinn 170 Upright Bike Review
- With improved Bluetooth connection, customers may utilize common app-based tracking tools such as Explore the World, MyFitnessPal, etc. This helps them establish, monitor, and evaluate their performances.
- There are nearly 30 fitness programs shown by the fully loaded console’s DualTrack blue backlit LCD panels.
- Sensors are equipped and ergonomically located so that users can control their heartbeats per minute. While other bikes such as Schwinn 130 Upright or Schwinn A10 Upright only features with Contact, this model has both Contact and Telemetry enabled for heart rate.
- Thanks to the padded contoured backrest with a post, it is simple to swap seat with any clamp and rail bike seat.
- With the help of Explore the World app, customers can plunge themselves into a world of simulated activities, exotic destinations, and breathtaking trails from all over the world. There are 3 free courses and others can be accessed after subscription.
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||41.3 x 21.4 x 55.6 inches|
|Maximum Height||6.6 Feet|
|Minimum Height||4.6 Feet|
|Item Weight||58.4 Pounds|
|Power Source||Corded Electric|
|Maximum Weight Recommendation||300 Pounds|
At the time, I was looking for a recumbent exercise bikes to cycle inside my house, to kill time and improve physical strength. What I aimed for was affordable and easy-to-use equipment that features multiple functions. And my needs are perfectly met by the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike, thanks to its affordability, great console, and a wide variety of workout programs available.
The Schwinn 170 Upright Bike can be found on Amazon or other e-stores at the price of around $550, even less with a voucher. I also searched for other stationary exercise bikes and found out that the Schwinn 170 Upright is a great deal for this price range. For example, this bike features wireless cardio monitoring while other bikes at $500-600 price can not provide such a function. Another evidence for its outperformance is that it supports 4 separate user profiles, which can not be found in a low-cost stationary exercise bike. Schwinn is a famous fitness and cycling equipment brand so I can trust the quality despite the low price.
In this market segment, the DualTrackTM console is a superb computer that can be found on a lot of Schwinn or Nautilus workout equipment. The 2 backlit panels on this dashboard can show my fitness statistics and are visible in poor lighting. If my iPad or a magazine is obstructing the upper screen, I can still see my exercise data on the 2 screens. I can also buy a heart rate monitor to use with the console. This console also includes Bluetooth connectivity, which allows me to upload your exercise data to Schwinn ConnectTM or MyFitnessPal. It’s always wonderful to be able to monitor my progress and see how I have improved from one session to the next.
Diverse workout programs
The new Schwinn 170 excels at workout design. There are 29 different programs for multiple levels. Therefore, I can use this bike for a long time, since I am still a beginner until I cycle at the advanced level. Such routines can help achieve certain goals by automating the flywheel’s 25-level resistance mechanism. The RideSocial integration is the most exciting in my opinion. By connecting to a mobile device, I can ride outdoors (virtually) while watching HD videos! There are both traditional and advanced bike fitness programs on the Schwinn 170 as well.
- Important data on Console: The console screen is minimal, not an extra-wide, not a touch-screen or HD one. However, it shows 13 different types of data for your workout, which any other models do not provide. There are also up to 4 rider profiles available, which is especially convenient for a family.
- Operation in Silence: Balanced drives work quite silently on Schwinn 170 Upright Bike. The modifications are almost inaudible while the stationary bike is transitioning between different resistance modes.
- Preset Workouts: The bike features 29 training programs and 25 resistance levels to choose from. 9 of the pre-programmed routines are regulated by heart rate, resulting in highly productive workouts. There are also programs for both newbies and experienced users, which is convenient.
- Customizable Cushioned Seat: The large saddle on the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike is customizable and already well-cushioned for pleasure. However, if a rider prefers another type, it is also possible to replace the seat with any conventional ones available. There’s no limit in this case, and riders are free to choose what makes them feel most comfortable.
- Comfy Pedals: The pedals are large and include adjustable straps so that riders can customize based on their preferences. Thanks to the 3-piece structure, users can also swap out the pedals for SPD compatible or any other road bike ones.
- Decent Guarantee Policy: For its low price, the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike comes with a fair warranty. Its frame is guaranteed for 10 years frame, while the parts feature a two-year warranty.
- Defective components: It has been reviewed by a small number of buyers that this bike arrived with some faulty components. This is mainly due to shipping errors, and it takes time to receive a replacement from the manufacturer. However, consumers also stated that Schwinn’s customer service is quite good. They can contact the manufacturer in case of technical or hardware issues to get professional advice.
- Lightweight flywheel: Although the high-speed flywheel contributes to a safe and stable workout machine like Schwinn 170 Upright. However, the lightweight flywheel at around 13 lbs can be a drawback in some cases. Some riders may go for a heavy flywheel as it brings better resistance, leading to a more pleasurable and efficient ride.
- Below average durability: Being a low-price exercise machine, it’s expected that this durability won’t last so long. Consumers should be aware that after a couple of years in use, this model will have some parts broken or technical errors will arise as time goes by. However, its warranty policy does cover most of these problems, so it’s not a big deal.
Buying Guide for Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
Performance & Cost
Schwinn 170 Upright Bike is extremely reasonable. Its performance outweighs the cost. It incorporates lots of impressive features that bring an effective and fun riding experience. Some of them are just too hard to be found in other stationary models in the same price range. It has wireless cardio monitoring and supports multiple user profiles, which is outstanding for a $550 exercise bike!
The bike uses a Dual track two LCD window system. The displays are 3” x 5” and 1” x 5” respectively. Riders may view several forms of fitness reports on the console’s two blue backlit LCD window displays. Aside from the two LCD panels, the console has a few other interesting characteristics. A 3-speed fan is included within the console to keep riders cool as they exercise. 2 compact built-in speakers offer loud and easy-to-hear sound. On the console, you’ll also find a USB connector for charging your phone or audio player, as well as exporting data to Schwinn Connect and MyFitnessPal, which are online applications for measuring your fitness statistics in further detail.
Schwinn 170 Upright Bike features a seat without any backrest included. This forces the users to activate their core muscles while exercising so that they can stay balanced on the seat. Another noticeable characteristic is the large, curved and thickly padded seat comes with a fore-and-aft adjustment for a perfect fit.
Discover our latest guide about how to make exercise bike seat more comfortable.
Usually, upright bikes are not well known for comfort, especially when being compared to recumbent ones. However, this model is quite comfortable to use due to many factors. It has angle customizable handlebars with forearm supports, large pedals with adjustable straps, and a comfy seating position.
Its flywheel at 13 lbs with 25 tension levels offers resistance to Schwinn upright bikes. Such a range means that it can accommodate people of all abilities, which is perfect for all family members.
The upgraded Schwinn 170 excels at workout programming. These programs help riders achieve their certain goals by automating the flywheel’s 25-level resistance mechanism. Its RideSocial integration is the most exciting: by connecting to a mobile device, riders may virtually cycle outdoors while watching a high-definition video!
Manufacturer & warranty information
The 270 Recumbent Upright Bike comes with varied warranty durations for frames, parts, and labor warranty. Its frame can be guaranteed for ten years, and the figure for its parts is 2 years. The electronics feature a 1-year warranty, which is also acceptable. You can also receive a refund within 6 first weeks in case of any issue. However, its labor warranty is quite short at around 90 days. So if you have any issues after only 3 months of use, this upright model may wind up costing you additional money.
Question 1: Can I ride this bike while standing up?
Unfortunately no. The Schwinn 170 Upright bike isn’t designed for standing and peddling at the same time. The manufacturer does not recommend this as it can make the crank arms strained, causing discomfort and damage.
Question 2: Are there any alternative seats that could be substituted for the originals?
It is stated that virtually any seat which comes supplied with suspension rails should work on Schwinn 170 Upright Bike. However, it’s still necessary to double check with the manufacturer about its compatibility or go to a nearby shop that sells padded seats for advice.
Question 3: What makes this model differ from the Nautilus U616?
To be honest, the 2 brands belong to one company (Nautilus, Inc ) and they have a lot of similarities in terms of features. However, the Nautilus U616 is slightly larger, so it is not convenient if you don’t have much space at home. There are also some differences regarding their designs, and it’s up to your taste while considering between the 2 models.
Question 4: Is it possible to pedal backward or to cease pedaling from the regular forward position?
Yes, you can pedal both back and forward, there’s no limit. However, the resistance only works in case of forwarding riding. According to the manufacturer, going backward is not recommended since it can damage the bike’s hardware.
Question 5: How is Schwinn 170 Upright Bike compared to Trek one?
Despite the fact that both bicycles feature bike suspension mechanisms, the Schwinn’s are more solid and responsive. There are a lot of them, and they’re strategically put in pressure points. This suggests that it’s more enjoyable and effective to work out using a Schwinn 170 Upright Bike than the Trek counterparts.
Question 6: Will my data be stored on the display once I have stopped pedaling till I turn it off?
Even when the console is disconnected, all of your workouts are saved. You can also upload this information then follow your improvement daily by downloading the Nautilus Trainer app. The app is free by the way, so you don’t have to worry.