Want to get suitable pairs of shoes for your grandparents but don’t know where to start? Don’t worry, this list of 15 best walking shoes for the elderly is what you need.
Aging often accompanies difficult problems, especially foot issues and loss of mobility. The feet have suffered from bodyweight for many years, which causes them to be more susceptible in old age. Hence, choosing suitable walking footwear for the elderly is very important for improving and supporting their mobility while reducing pains and foot conditions.
So how to know which footwear products are the best walking shoes for the elderly? To answer this question, experts have cited the key characteristics that a right pair of shoes for seniors needs to offer: comfort, protection, support, stability features, and the right fit. A good pair of shoes will help create a healthy environment for the elderly’s feet, leading to a healthier lifestyle.
To save you time choosing the right walking shoes for seniors, I have sorted out 15 best walking shoes for the elderly with essential features and exceptional quality. They are the top items among thousands of products on the market today. Let’s have a closer look at my top picks and then make your own choices.
What are The Best Walking Shoes for The Elderly?
There are thousands of shoe models for the elderly on the market, leading to your confusion. Thus, I came up with a list of 15 best walking shoes for the elderly with each of the products coming with specific features suitable for certain individuals and conditions.
Hopefully, you can find the right item on my rundown list.
Good for Elderly Women: Adidas Women’s Ultraboost 20 Running Shoes
“Flexible and lightweight performance, breathable mesh and textile uppers, roomy toe boxes, offer a sock-like fit.”
Good for Elderly Men: Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Slip-On Shoes
“Polished slip-on design, 100% full-grain leather uppers, padded collars, Merrel air-cushioned heel, molded EVA foot frame.”
Good for Elderly With Bunions: Klogs Women’s Carolina Mary Jane Shoes
“Well-made pairs of klogs, stylish and comfy, come with soft arch support and roomy design, unique structure.”
Good for Elderly With Balance Problems: Skechers Men’s Equalizer Double Loafers
“Well-ventilated Knit mesh uppers, memory foam insoles, easy to slip on and off, extremely comfortable.”
Good for Elderly With Neuropathy: Orthofeet Proven Men’s Loafer Carnegie Shoes
“Sleek orthopedic shoes, anatomical arch support, great support and foot pain relief, extra depth design, and wide toe boxes.”
Good for Elderly Swollen Feet: Propét Men’s Cush N Foot Shoes
“Medicare-approved a5500, soft and stretchable uppers, a secure hook-and-loop closure, available in various sizes.”
Good for Elderly Balance: SAS Walk Easy Leather Shoes
“Made in the USA, secure lace-up design, contoured Everbounce footbeds, lightweight outsoles with added stability and shock absorption.”
Good for Elderly Diabetic: Orthofeet Proven Men’s Avery Island Shoes
“Comfortable and stylish orthopedic shoes, cushioned orthotic insoles, superior cushioning, extra foam padding.”
Good for Elderly With Dementia: CLARK Women’s Sillian Bella Mary Jane Shoes
“Adjustable velcro straps for easy on and off, soft cushions, comfy memory foam soles, super lightweight and supportive.”
Good for Elderly To Prevent Falls: Skechers Women’s Relaxed Slip-Resistant Shoes
“Smooth leather uppers, easy to slip on and off, composite safety toe, tested slip-resistant outsoles, great stability and support.”
Good for Elderly in Australia: Clarks Women’s Cloudsteppers Sillian Paz Loafers
“Soft textile uppers, easy to slip on and off, Ortholite footbeds, super wide toe box, extremely comfortable.”
Good for Running Men: Skechers Sport Men’s Synergy Power Sneakers
“Lightweight and flexible, contoured footbeds, cushioned memory foam soles, feel like walking on clouds.”
Good for Running Women: Skechers Sport Women’s Skech Air Run Sneakers
“Innovative athletic shoes, high breathability and comfort, memory foam insoles, non-marking rubber outsoles.”
Good for Non-Slip: ZIZOR Women’s Cozy Anti-Slip Slippers
“Adjustable straps and wide-open design allow easy slip-on, soft and warm fleece linings, memory foam soles, durable anti-slip outsoles.”
Best for Budget: YHOON Women’s Slip-On Athletic Sneakers
“Easy slip-on design, lightweight and breathable materials, soft air-cushioned soles, budget-friendly.”
All Walking Shoes for The Elderly – Comparison Chart
I put all the 15 best walking shoes for the elderly in the table below; hence, you can overview each item. Let’s take a look to have a glimpse of top-notch footwear products for the elderly on the market.
|Best Walking Shoes For The Elderly||It's Best for||Material||Sole|
|Adidas Women’s Ultraboost 20 Running Shoes||Best For Elderly Women||Textile||Rubber|
|Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Slip-On Shoes||Best For Elderly Men||Leather||Rubber|
|Klogs Women’s Carolina Mary Jane Shoes||Best For Elderly With Bunions||Leather||Synthetic|
|Skechers Men’s Equalizer Double Loafers||Best For Elderly With Balance Problems||Knit mesh||Synthetic|
|Orthofeet Proven Men’s Loafer Carnegie Shoes||Best For Elderly With Neuropathy||Leather||Rubber|
|Propét Men’s Cush N Foot Shoes||Best For Elderly Swollen Feet||Neoprene||Synthetic|
|SAS Walk Easy Leather Shoes||Best For Elderly Balance||Leather||Synthetic|
|Orthofeet Proven Men’s Avery Island Shoes||Best For Elderly Diabetic||Leather||Rubber|
|CLARK Women’s Sillian Bella Mary Jane Shoes||Best For Elderly With Dementia||Synthetic||Rubber|
|Skechers Women’s Relaxed Slip-Resistant Shoes||Best For Elderly To Prevent Falls||Leather||Synthetic|
|Clarks Women’s Cloudsteppers Sillian Paz Loafers||Best For Elderly Australia||Textile||Synthetic|
|Skechers Sport Men’s Synergy Power Sneakers||Best For Running Men||Knit mesh/Fabric||Rubber|
|Skechers Sport Women’s Skech Air Run Sneakers||Best For Running Women||Textile||Synthetic|
|ZIZOR Women’s Cozy Anti-Slip Slippers||Best For Non-Slip||Suede||Rubber|
|YHOON Women’s Slip-On Athletic Sneakers||Best For Budget||Knit mesh fabric||Synthetic|
Top 15 Best Walking Shoes for The Elderly Reviews in 2022
Now I will come to the central part of this article: straightforwardly review each of the products. I’m going to get you through the specific features, specifications, pros, cons, and points of experts of the best walking shoes for the elderly.
Best for Elderly Women: Adidas Women’s Ultraboost 20 Running Shoes
- Stretchable and lightweight mesh/knit uppers
- Well-cushioned soles with 20% more boost
- Bounce cushioning, Tailored Fiber Placement
- Grippy Continental outsoles
|Dimension||5 x 5 x 7 inches|
The Adidas Women’s Ultraboost 20 are also one of the best walking shoes for the elderly thanks to their flexibility and stability and the dynamic look of a typical athletic shoe pair. The elegant color and design make them appropriate for daily use. For female seniors who want to join healthy daily activities, these shoes would be the best option.
The Adidas Women’s Ultraboost 20 features stretchy and breathable textile uppers for all-day comfort wearing. The adaptive knit upper wraps the foot and creates a sock-like fit that improves natural movements. Since these shoes are lightweight and versatile, the elderly can feel comfortable wearing them daily, from walking, running, exercising, or casual wearing.
Moreover, the well-cushioned soles and midsoles that contain 20% more Boost will energize every step, while the grippy Continental outsoles offer traction and grips for fall and slip prevention. Overall, these shoes are the go-to choice for older light runners with all the support and features needed.
- Super comfortable and lightweight athletic shoes
- Stretchy Primeknit uppers offer a sock-like fit
- Shoes fit perfectly and true to size
- Come with a roomy toe box and wide design
- Great cushioning and support
- Energize every step with more Boost in the soles
- Deliver a sporty, dynamic look
- Various color options
- Difficult to clean
- Run a bit large
Best for Elderly Men: Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Slip-On Shoes
- Full-grain leather uppers
- Molded nylon arch shanks
- Light EVA foam soles, breathable mesh liners
- Shock-absorbing Merrell Air Cushion in heels
- M-Select GRIP outsoles
|Dimension||13 x 8.2 x 5 inches|
Older people need shoes that are easy to wear and are both comfortable and durable. Luckily, these pairs of Encore Gust from the Merrell can accommodate those requirements. They are therefore considered one of the best walking shoes for the elderly with exceptional performance and quality.
The Merrell Men’s Encore Gust looks sleek enough to wear as a pair of dress shoes and, at the same time, sufficiently comfy and convenient for casual use. The smooth full-grain leather uppers add to sharp casual style, and the slip-on design of typical clogs makes it easy to slip on and off like flip flops. Seniors can stay in these shoes all day with comfort and support. The Merrell Air Cushion adds more stability and shock absorption for mobility assistance
See also: Shoes for Shock Absorbing
The Merrell Select GRIP soles pull out the durable traction for safe movements on the slippage. Plus, the breathable mesh liners will keep seniors’ feet dry and comfy all day.
- Super comfortable and well-made shoes
- Come with slip-on convenience
- Provide extra support and comfort for all-day wear
- Good arch support and stability
- Merrell Air Cushion in the heels offer great shock absorption
- Can be used as dress shoes or for casual wear
- Great shoe for wearing around the house
- Not completely anti-slip
Best for Elderly With Bunions: Klogs Women’s Carolina Mary Jane Shoes
- Smooth leather uppers with twin gore panels
- Removable contoured footbeds
- 2 inches heel height
- Shock-absorbing and slip-resistant PU outsoles
|Dimension||12 x 8 x 4 inches|
|Closure system||Crisscross Straps|
Not many people think about wearing specially designed footwear that suits their specific foot conditions, leading to more severe problems. Therefore, shoe buyers, especially the elderly, should consider choosing a product with the election of features that best support the foot. For example, when seniors have bunions, they need shoes with wide sizes and widths with a roomy toe box to accommodate the actual foot shape.
The KLOGS Women’s Carolina Mary Jane is one of the best walking shoes for the elderly with bunions. They feature a unique structure with plenty of room and extra breathability to assist bunions and foot conditions. The twin gore panels in the leather uppers create a comfy fit without sacrificing style while the decorative floral cutouts enhance the personality and improve the airflow to the feet.
The contoured footbeds are both orthotic-friendly and removable that allow the custom orthotic inserts for more comfort needs. Contributing to these shoes’ supportive capabilities are the flexible PU outsoles that conform with the foot shape and motion and offer more shock absorption and responsiveness so that seniors feel easy when stepping forward even in a tired state.
By the way, I’ve written an article about the top 15 best shoes for orthotics that you find it’s useful to consider. The orthotic shoes are very comfortable with custom orthotic inserts for anyone who has orthotic symptoms.
- Shoes are well-made and fit perfectly
- Deliver plenty of room and airflow enhancement
- Excellent arch support and shock absorption
- Removable footbeds can accommodate custom orthotics
- Heel height is great for high instep and pronation issues
- Flexible outsoles provide stability and slip-resistance on slippage
- Shoes run large
- The straps can hurt the top of the foot
Best for Elderly With Balance Problems: Skechers Men’s Equalizer Double Loafers
- Breathable Knit mesh uppers
- Soft fabric shoe linings, padded collars
- Gel-infused memory foam insoles
- Shock-absorbing lightweight midsoles
- Grippy, durable rubber outsoles
|Dimension||9.45 x 13.78 x 5.12 inches|
Balance problems often come with aging, so the seniors do need help to keep them upright and prevent falls by putting on the best walking shoes for the elderly to improve balance and stability. And these Skechers Men’s Equalizer Double is among the best choices.
These casual loafers from Skechers are a true slip-on, which is exceptionally comfortable and easy to wear. They are also very light, which helps the elderly stay steadier when moving around or standing still. Besides, they are also reliable and robust enough for seniors to wear every day.
These shoes come with wide soles with the bottoms attached firmly to the ground. They can provide superior grips and traction to prevent falls and slips, which is quite essential, especially for the elderly with balance problems. Plus, the breathable Knit mesh uppers add more breathability and comfort for long time use.
- Lightweight slip-on for balance improvement
- Easy to slip on and off with added collars
- Extremely comfortable and supportive
- Memory foam footbeds add more comfort and cushions
- Great breathability and support
- Suitable to wear around the house
- Solid outsoles with high traction to prevent falls and slips
- Many color options to choose
- Not ideal for wet conditions
- Run slightly big
Best for Elderly With Neuropathy: Orthofeet Proven Men’s Loafer Carnegie Shoes
- Soft, non-binding leather uppers
- Orthotic insoles with anatomical arch support
- Cushioned heel seat, Ergonomic design
- Extended deep design and roomy toe boxes
|Closure system||Velcro Straps|
Footwear products from the Orthofeet are well-known for providing features needed for those suffering from foot ailments, including bunions, hammertoes, or neuropathy. These Carnegie Loafer from Orthofeet are not only a pair of stylish dress shoes but also come with great features for foot conditions such as extra depth design and roomy toe boxes.
The orthotic insoles and Ergonomic soles help relieve pain and strain for extra mobility and stability improvement. The soft leather uppers are non-binding that can reach wide feet and bunions. The extra foam padding offers extra comfort and reduced friction.
Moreover, the orthotic insoles with anatomical arch support and cushioning provide exceptional support and a perfect pillow-like feel. Overall, Orthofeet Carnegie is one of the best walking shoes for the elderly with sufficient quality and comfort. Plus, they come with all the functions to support various foot ailments that you can not find the more comfy and supportive footwear on the market.
- Orthotic-friendly and supportive
- Help to alleviate all the foot pains
- Come with extra deep design and wide toe box for foot ailments support
- Non-binding uppers create a customized fit
- Insoles feature anatomical arch support for cushioning and comfort
- Provide extra padding and protection
- Adjustable velcro fastener for a comfy fit
- A bit pricey
- Not completely slip-resistant
Best for Elderly Swollen Feet: Propét Men’s Cush N Foot Shoes
- Soft neoprene and stretchable corduroy uppers
- Extra-large adjustable hook-and-loop strap closure
- Cushioned, removable Terry cloth insoles
- A5500 Medicare-approved
- Durable, lightweight PU outsoles
|Dimension||12 x 8 x 4 inches|
|Closure system||Hook-and-loop Straps|
It would be challenging to choose shoes for the elderly with foot conditions like swollen feet or bunions. Hence Propét manufactures and designs these Cush ‘N Foot pairs for a comfortable walking experience, especially for swollen feet. These shoes bring cozy comfort and plenty of room for free movements when walking.
The name of these Propét Cush ‘N Foot Slippers says everything themselves- they help to cushion the feet with every step. The soft neoprene and stretchable corduroy uppers can handle the feet well, regardless of the degree of swelling in the feet.
The secure hook and loop straps with extra-large opening make it easy to put on and off or adjust for the perfect fit. The Cush N Foot is the Medicare-approved a5500 footwear so that they can be seen as the best walking shoes for the elderly with foot ailments like swollen feet. Seniors can relax until the end of the day.
- Soft and stretchable materials
- Extremely comfortable and lightweight
- Provide cushy comfort and cushioning
- Extra-large hook-and-loop closure for easy put on and off
- Offer plenty of room for comfy foot movements
- Roomy, deep toe box and extra-wide design
- Great choice for people with swollen feet and foot issues
- Run a bit large
- Inconsistent sizing
Best for Elderly Balance: SAS Walk Easy Leather Shoes
- Made in the USA, HCPCS Medicare coded
- Leather uppers, adjustable lacing closure
- Feature odor-resistant, removable SAS Tripad Cushions
- Removable Contoured Everbounce footbeds
- Easy Walk SuperSoft Lightweight outsoles
|Dimension||10 x 15 x 6 inches|
The SAS Walk Easy Shoes are among the popular choices among the best walking shoes for the elderly on the market. The rugged design and supportive functions ensure the stability and balance needed for seniors with difficulties in mobility. Plus, these versatile shoes also look good with many types of outfits.
These USA-made shoes feature leather uppers with an adjustable lacing system for a secure fit. The removable and odor-resistant SAS Tripad Cushions can help alleviate the three pressure points on the feet: the inside, outside ball, and the heels for superior comfort. The removable Contoured Everbounce footbeds cushion every step and support the foot contours.
The manufacturers made the Easy Walk SuperSoft Lightweight outsoles to provide additional stability and maximum shock absorption abilities for better balance and mobility. Since these walking shoes for the elderly are HCPCS Medicare coded, seniors can believe in its quality and effectiveness.
- Provide solid support and comfort
- Lace-up closure offers a secure fit
- Cushioned Everbounce footbeds support contours and arches
- SAS Tripad Cushions comfort the pressure points
- Lightweight, wider soles provide extra stability and shock absorption
- Mold and keep the natural stride and foot shape
- Versatile and good-looking shoes for casual use
- Shoes run large
- A bit pricey
Best for Elderly Diabetic: Orthofeet Proven Men’s Avery Island Shoes
- Non-binding leather uppers, lace-up closure
- Contoured orthotic insoles, anatomical arch support
- Antimicrobial foam and fabric linings
- Extra foam padding and flat feet design
- Cushioning Ergonomic Stride soles
The Orthofeet Avery Island is recommended for people with foot ailments like plantar fasciitis or diabetic by doctors. These orthopedic shoes are designed for pain relief and comfortable walking experience with a relaxed fit and protection against pressure points.
These shoes feature soft and non-binding leather uppers and cushioned orthotic insoles to improve stability and mobility while softening every step. The smooth inner linings and extra foam padding offer maximum comfort and support, making them a perfect choice for a good-quality diabetic shoe pair. Plus, the sleek leather uppers with a secure lacing system make them out of a good-looking pair of dress shoes.
Overall, the Orthofeet Avery Island is one of the best walking shoes for the elderly with exceptional features and can make a massive difference for people with the foot problems associated with health issues like diabetes, neuropathy, flat feet, hammertoes, etc. They are super comfortable and will go easy on seniors’ sensitive feet.
- Ideal dress shoes for foot problems solution
- Help to cushions step and relieve stress and pains
- Smooth, seamless interior design offers extra comfort
- Help to improve stability and mobility
- Come with wide to box and extra depth design
- Great anatomical arch support for pain relief
- Best to wear all day and help with foot issues
- Not highly slip-resistant
- Somewhat wide and heavy
Best for Elderly With Dementia: CLARK Women’s Sillian Bella Mary Jane Shoes
- Synthetic mesh uppers with stretchy fabric panels
- Velcro strap closure, rip-tape fastening
- Soft, cushioned memory foam insoles
- Removable Ortholite footbeds
- Flexible EVA outsoles
|Dimension||11 x 7 x 4 inches|
|Closure system||Velcro Straps|
Seniors who have dementia or Alzheimer’s may find it challenging to wear shoes with laces, zippers, or buckles. Hence, they need some footwear that is easy to put on as well as provide nonstop comfort. And these Sillian Bella Mary Jane Flat Shoes from Clarks can meet those requirements to become one of the best walking shoes for the elderly with such diseases.
The CLARKS Women’s Sillian Bella Mary Jane Flat Shoes are super comfortable, lightweight, and feature soft memory foam insoles for extra comfort. The Velcro straps with rip-tape fastening make it easy for seniors to put on and off. The straps are also adjustable to achieve the perfect fit and hold tight to prevent slip off and keep feet in the place when walking around.
The memory foam featured in Ortholite soles with extra padding and nonstop comfort that helps with various foot issues. The Sillian Bella Mary Jane is supportive and fashionable to wear with either casual or formal clothes. The flexible EVA outsoles have good treads with many grips to prevent falls and keep it safe for the elderly wherever they go.
- Easy to put on and off with Velcro straps
- Super lightweight and comfortable right out of the box
- Feature memory foam in the soles for extra comfort
- Wide and comfy toe box design
- Shoes fit true to size and offer a secure fit
- Help with plantar fasciitis and other foot issues
- Super cute and fashionable
- Not much arch support
- Not suitable for a high instep
Best for Elderly To Prevent Falls: Skechers Women’s Relaxed Slip-Resistant Shoes
- Durable leather uppers
- Composite safety toe, offers a relaxed fit
- Electrical hazard protection
- Cushioned memory foam insoles
- Tested slip-resistant outsoles
|Dimension||5 x 5 x 5 inches|
Falls and slips are among the leading causes of the elderly’s injuries since they have a reduction in mobility and balance. Finding the best walking shoes for the elderly that help prevents falls and improve walking abilities is necessary. And these Skechers for Work Shoes are one of the perfect options for seniors.
These work shoes are intentionally designed for people working in restaurants or slippery environments. As a result, they can provide long-term comfort and essential supportive features to ensure safety such as slip-resistant outsoles, electrical hazard protection, steel safety toe, and cushioned memory foam insoles for maximum comfort.
The only thing to note about these work shoes from Skechers is that they run a bit small, so it will be better to order a half size larger. They will become more and more comfortable and create a snug fit over time. I am sure these shoes will pull out the excellent performance if given a chance.
- Create a secure and relaxed fit
- Provide extra protection and stability
- Easy to slip on and off
- Memory foam insoles make it super comfortable for all-day wear
- Slip-resistant outsoles prevent slips and fall on slippage
- Great for plantar fasciitis and long hours wear
- Run a little small
Best for Elderly Australia: Clarks Women’s Cloudsteppers Sillian Paz Loafers
- Durable textile uppers, Cushion Soft technology
- Removable Ortholite footbeds
- Soft fabric liners, Ethylene Vinyl Acetate soles
- Lightweight shock-absorbing EVA outsoles
|Dimension||12 x 7 x 4 inches|
Clarks always offer high-quality footwear products suitable for most consumers. These CloudSteppers Sillian Paz Slip-On Loafers is the latest Clarks shoe with optimized features and designs that are perfect for seniors’ daily activities.
The Clarks Sillian Paz features everything you look for in a pair of comfy, easy-going shoes: the breathable textile uppers, the removable cushion soft with Ortholite footbeds, soft fabric liners, and shock-absorbing EVA outsoles.
These loafers are super lightweight and flexible for all-day comfort. Plus, the slip-on design with a pull tab on the back of the shoes makes it easy and straightforward for seniors to slip on and off every time.
As its name implies, the CloudSteppers Sillian Paz will make wearers feel like walking on clouds. They help to cushion and comfort every step while absorbing shock with lightweight Ethylene Vinyl Acetate soles. Besides, they come with extra-wide design and super roomy toe boxes that allow seniors to wiggle their toe comfortably inside.
- Super lightweight and comfortable shoes
- Come with wide widths and roomy toe box
- Easy to slip on and off
- Soften and comfort every step with unique Cushion Soft technology
- Excellent cushioning and impact absorption
- Good shoes for plantar fasciitis
- Stylish design with various color options
- Inconsistent sizing
- Shoes are quite hot
Best for Running Men: Skechers Sport Men’s Synergy Power Sneakers
- Lightweight synthetic & Skech-Knit mesh fabric uppers
- Cushioned memory foam insoles, fabric liners
- Padded collars and tongue, a lace-up front
- shock-absorbing FlexSole midsoles
- Flexible rubber outsoles
|Dimension||13 x 8 x 4 inches|
Skechers are always famous for manufacturing the best footwear for sports use. If seniors intend to participate in physical activities such as jogging or walking, Skechers’ shoes will not be a bad option. The Skechers Sport Men’s Synergy Power Switch Sneakers is the perfect combination of style and performance, making them the best walking shoes for the elderly to wear for a workout or exercise.
The Synergy Power Switch is a pair of good-quality training sneakers that are lightweight, flexible, and durable. They are constructed by breathable synthetic and Skech-Knit mesh fabric uppers, cushioned memory foam insoles, shock-absorbing FlexSole midsoles, and flexible grippy rubber outsoles.
The design of these shoes is nearly seamless and comes with extra padding for superior comfort. The padded tongue and collars make it easy for seniors to put on and reduce friction in motion. The soft fabric liners keep feet comfy and fresh all the time.
- Extremely lightweight and flexible
- Memory foam in the soles is super comfy and supportive
- Offer good arch support and durability
- Super comfortable to wear all day
- Create a snug and tight fit
- Extra padding and cushioning for comfort
- Good-looking and have a reasonable price
- Shoes may be a bit stiff
Best for Running Women: Skechers Sport Women’s Skech Air Run Sneakers
- Breathable mesh uppers with synthetic overlays
- Supportive memory foam insoles, lace-up front
- Durable non-marking outsoles
|Dimension||13 x 6.7 x 4 inches|
Another Skechers footwear product that exemplifies good-quality women’s athletic sneakers is the Skech Air Run High Fashion Sneakers. These athletic shoes are the same affordable price as the Synergy Power Switch and offer similar features.
The Skech Air Run is notably stylish with bright and dynamic colors. They feature breathable mesh uppers with durable synthetic overlays and lace-up front for a secure fit. Also, they come with supportive memory foam inside and air-cushioned soles. They are super lightweight, so seniors will feel like walking on clouds.
Overall, the Skech Air Run Sneakers are perfect to wear for running, workout, aerobics, or Zumba, etc. Besides, they’re also the best walking shoes for the elderly with foot ailments like plantar fasciitis. They will surely bring the needed support and comfort for seniors who want to participate in physical activities to stay healthy.
- Lightweight and comfortable shoes
- Feature memory foam soles for extra comfort
- Offer a secure and comfy fit
- Great shock absorption and cushioning
- Suitable to wear for multiple activities
- Stylish and good-looking
- Good for plantar fasciitis
- Affordable price tag
- Not the best durability
Best for Non-Slip: ZIZOR Women’s Cozy Anti-Slip Slippers
- Suede uppers, adjustable closure straps
- Curved collar design, soft fleece linings
- High-density memory foam insoles
- Durable non-slip rubber outsoles
|Dimension||10 x 9.5 x 3.8 inches|
|Closure system||Velcro Straps|
These ZIZOR Women’s Cozy Memory Foam Slippers will make it the best choice for seniors to wear for the next wintertime. The materials include soft and fluffy fleece liners, keeping aging feet warm and cozy on the cold days. The flexible and durable rubber outsoles are designed to prevent slips and fall so that seniors don’t have to worry about accidents when walking on any slippage.
These slippers are made up of good-quality suede uppers, soft faux shearling liners, high-density memory foam insoles, multi-layered cushioning, and non-slip rubber outsoles. They not only help keep the feet warm, provide cushioning for comfort and fatigue reduction, but also ensure use on any surface, from indoor to outdoor.
The ZIZOR Women’s Cozy Slippers feature adjustable closure strap with a wide opening and curved collar design to put on and adjust the fit easily. Plus, these best walking shoes for the elderly will never be out of style, no matter how long they are used.
- Keep feet warm and comfy
- Provide multi-layered cushioning for fatigue relief
- Easy to slip on with adjustable straps and wide opening
- Anti-slip outsoles prevent falls and slips on slippage
- Perfect to wear for indoor as well as outdoor
- Stylish and well-made
- Low price tag
- Run a little small
- Memory foam in the soles is not thick enough
Best for Budget: YHOON Women’s Slip-On Athletic Sneakers
- Breathable fly woven uppers, slip-on design
- Soft air-cushioned soles with MD platform
- Updated fur liners
- Traction rubber outsoles
|Dimension||5 x 5 x 0.7 inches|
If you are looking for the best walking shoes for the elderly that are budget-friendly, you can not skip these YHOON Women’s Sneakers. Despite having a below-average price tag, these shoes’ quality and performance are not utterly inferior to the other products on this list. They are incredibly lightweight, flexible, comfortable to wear as well as very trendy for any occasion.
The YHOON Women’s Walking Shoes feature a slip-on design with soft fabric collars for easy pull on and off. The breathable and comfy materials offer a snug and sock-like fit for maximum comfort. Plus, the fir liners help keep feet warm in cold weather.
The soft air-cushioned soles with the MD platform can offer the extra cushioning and buffer with every step. These versatile sneakers are appropriate for most activities, even casual walking, exercising, traveling, or playing sport, driving, etc.
- Super comfortable and lightweight
- Easy to pull on and off
- Come with roomy toe boxes and great arch support
- Breathable and soft materials
- Updated fur-lined to keep feet warm in cold conditions
- Provide sufficient cushioning and buffer
- Stylish and suitable to use for any occasion every day
- The toe area is way too large
- Not suitable for wet conditions
Walking Shoes for The Elderly Buyer Guide: How to Choose A Good Shoe for Seniors?
In this buying guide, I will list the crucial factors worth considering when choosing to buy the best walking shoes for the elderly. After this part, you’ll know ways to purchase appropriate and good-quality products.
The elderly need shoes that can make them comfortable to wear and relieve pain in their feet, legs, and back. The best walking shoes for the elderly that offer sufficient comfort often have breathable uppers, superior arch support, extra padding, and cushioning for the high shock absorption. Besides, the flexible outsoles with quality traction are vital to keeping seniors stable and safe walking on every surface.
Shoes that offer the perfect fit significantly contribute to shoe comfort. Footwear with an adjustable closure system is beneficial for seniors to adjust to fit their feet best. Another critical feature is the weight of the shoe. The lighter the shoe will be, the easier it is for the seniors to move around and increase stability.
Shock Absorption & Cushioning
Shock absorption is a crucial factor that any shoe for any physical activity is required. As for walking shoes for the elderly, this feature becomes even more critical. Shock absorption abilities will help reduce shocks and impacts between the feet and the ground on the move, whereby minimization foot pains, lower body aches, backaches, and the risk of injuries that may happen with the seniors.
Shoes that offer good cushioning and shock absorption will make the seniors feel less impactful and fatigue in each step, which helps to reduce the pain in feet, legs, and backs. Cushioning helps to disperse body weight and external impacts so that feet don’t have to bear all the brunt. Whereby it will contribute to increase the comfort and reduce injuries as the seniors walk.
Support & Stability
The elderly will have difficulty standing steadily on their aging feet. Therefore, one of the most important factors to have in the best walking shoes for the elderly is good support and stability. These features can assist the elderly in maintaining balance and strength while moving. Simultaneously, it reduces the risk of over or under pronation, leading to foot health issues and common foot ailments like plantar fasciitis.
Make sure you choose shoes with solid soles and thick threads that offer sufficient arch support. Heel cups and extra depth uppers also provide excellent heel support and comfort. And in particular, note the outsoles; they need to provide adequate traction for both security and stable support.
Regarding the protection of walking shoes for the elderly, I will mention the main factors: traction, cushioning, support, shock absorption, and flexibility. Support and shock absorption have been mentioned in the upper section, so the only thing to note here is that good grip and traction are provided sufficiently to ensure the elderly do not slip or fall when moving on slippery surfaces.
The weather factor is also worth noting. In cold weather, shoes need to provide adequate warmth for seniors’ feet. On the other hand, in the summer, breathability and ventilation are essential to prevent sweating, foot odor, and swelling risk. You will consider specific conditions to choose the best walking shoes for the elderly that offer appropriate features.
Frequently Asked Questions
After the buying guide, I would like to add a few frequently asked questions about purchasing the best walking shoes for the elderly. Refer to this part if you want to find a solution to your problems.
What is the ideal footwear to prevent falls?
Footwear to prevent falls should have non-slip outsoles with good traction and grips. It is better to avoid shoes that are heavy, loose, or stretched, as well as footwear with narrow or high heels.
Should the elderly wear sandals?
The elderly should wear shoes that are well-fitted, closed-back, anti-slip to ensure support and protection. That means loose or backless footwear like sandals is not the best option.
Are clogs bad for feet?
Clogs are one type of shoes that cause harm or injuries to wearers the most, as their design includes unfavorable features. These footwear types can also cause foot pains and contribute to cause toe deformities and problems.
How to keep feet healthy?
Here are some ways to keep feet healthy for the elderly, particularly for people in general:
- Clean and wash feet thoroughly every day with soap and water
- Take care to dry the areas between the toes
- Don’t walk barefoot usually
- Keep feet comfy and dry all time
- If wearing socks, choose the moisture-wicking ones, change socks often if you are a heavy foot sweater
What are brands of shoes best for the elderly?
Here are some brands of shoes that are recommended by piotradists for the elderly:
- New Balance
- Hush Puppies
My Top Picks
Reading until now, have you made your choice yet? Let me know in the comment section below!
Among all the 15 best walking shoes for the elderly in this article, my top picks are Adidas Women’s Ultraboost 20 Running Shoes and Skechers Men’s Equalizer Double Loafers. Both are optimal models with exceptional features to help the elderly have their best walking experience again.
To sum up, I hope you can find the best walking shoes for the elderly that suit your needs and requirements. Leave your comments in the section below in case you have any questions. Have a great day!