Trek Bike Corporation is a famous bike manufacturer with headquarters in Waterloo, Wisconsin. This company distributes their bikes in more than 90 countries all over the world with subsidiaries in both Europe and Asia.
In fact, Trek Corporation has distributed their bikes under different brand names over the years, such as Gary Fisher, Bontrager, Diamant Bikes, Electra Bicycle Company, Trek, Villiger Bikes, etc.
Part of Best Bike Brands.
Table of Contents
- Overview of Trek Company
- Trek Bike Categories
- Most Popular Trek Bikes
- Trek Bike Price Range
- Are Trek Bicycles Any Good?
- Trek vs. Giant vs. Specialized vs. Cannondale
- Trek Mountain Bikes
- Trek Road Bikes
- Trek Hybrid Bikes
- Trek Electric Bikes
Overview of Trek Company
History of Trek Bikes
For those who don’t know, Trek is the Afrikaans word that shorts for “Journey”. In this part, I will give you a brief but comprehensive enough history of Trek bikes.
For the past 42 years, Trek Corporation has worked relentlessly to polish and enhance its bike products and convince riders from all over the world to start a journey of fitness and health with bikes.
- In December 1975, Trek started their bike story in a warehouse when Dick Burke invested $25,000 to produce steel touring frames to compete with other products made in Italy and Japan.
- In 1983, Trek company manufactured their first mountain bike.
- Then in 1984, they provided the market with lines of components and parts.
- In 1985, the company borrowed technology from other bike companies and launched their first bonded aluminum bike frame in 2000.
- Later in 1986, they introduced their first carbon fiber bike.
- In 1988, the company first introduced their “Trek Wear” brand, making it clear that the company had entered the cycling clothing business. And one year later, they entered into foreign markets, opening different subsidiaries in Germany and the UK.
- Also in 1988, they introduced their new brand of bikes under the name Jazz. These are a collection of kids and entry-level bikes, which were produced in Taiwan. Unfortunately, they discontinued these models in 1993.
- In 1992, Trek introduced their first full-carbon frames that were the lightest bikes in the world at that time. Also in this year, their first full-suspension mountain bike was launched.
- In 1993, Trek purchased Gary Fisher Mountain Bikes.
Since then, all systems have used Trek bikes with a lot of events marking their success, such as the introduction of the Y bike with full suspension in 1995 and the signing of the champion.
Where Are Trek Bikes Made?
In fact, only a very small number of Trek bikes were manufactured in the US. However, they are no longer fully manufactured in the USA. And a majority of their bikes are now produced in other countries in the world, including Netherlands, Taiwan, Germany, and China.
The Technology of Trek Bikes
With Alpha Aluminum, Trek took the most sophisticated metallurgical concepts and stretched them to the utter maximum. They have created frames that are not only sturdy but also lightweight and deliver excellent ride quality far superior to many of their carbon counterparts.
Performance of Trek Road Bikes
Every Trek road bike is typically engineered for the best performance. Overall, Trek bikes provide you with excellent quality for every ride, from the fastest crafted carbon racing machines to sophisticated aluminum models. With precision engineering, they also deliver durability after many uses.
Trek Bike Categories
Trek Corporation provides the market with various types of bikes, from the high-end mountain, triathlon, and road bikes to cruiser, hybrid, and kids’ bikes. They are all available in a wide range of prices that fits different requirements. Let’s look at the Trek bike range:
- Electric bikes
- City electric bikes
- Electric mountain bikes
- Mountain bikes
- Full-suspension bikes
- Cross-country bikes
- Trail bikes
- Downhill bikes
- Fat bikes
- Road bikes
- Cyclocross bikes
- Gravel hybrid bikes
- City bikes
- Cruiser bikes for women
- Commuter bikes
- Fitness bikes
- Triathlon bikes
- Adventure and touring bikes
- Electra bikes
As you can see, the wide variety of Trek bike types serve different riding styles, needs, and budgets. You have a lot of options when choosing any bike category.
Most Popular Trek Bikes
As mentioned in the bike category part, Trek provides the market with a wide range of bike models and styles. But here are some of the most popular Trek bikes you can consider buying, depending on your needs.
- Trail: Trek Marlin 5 Trail Mountain Bike
- Road: Trek Domane+ LT Road Bike
- Cross country: Trek Supercaliber 9.9 AXS Cross-country Mountain Bike
- Triathlon: Trek Speed Concept Triathlon Bike
- Mountain: Trek Fuel EX 8 Mountain Bike
- Adventure and touring: Trek 520 Adventure Touring Bike
- Fat bikes: Trek Farley 5 Fat Bike
- Hybrid: Trek FX 1 Hybrid Bike
- Electric mountain: Trek Powerfly 5 Electric Mountain Bike
Trek Bike Price Range
Different types of Trek bikes are made of different frame materials and equipped with different components. So, it is obvious that each model will have its own price. Here is the price range of some of the most popular Trek bikes:
- Electric mountain bikes: $3,799.99 – $12,999.99
- Mountain bikes: $249.99 – $12,999.99 (ranging from kids to adults)
- Cross-country bikes: $449.99 – $10,999.99
- Trail bikes: $1,149.99 – $9,999.99
- Road bikes: $999.99 – $12,499.99
- Hybrid bikes: $169.99 – $6,299.99 (ranging from kids to adults)
- Fat bikes: $1,949.99 – $3,499.99
- Adventure and touring: $1,799.99 – $2,899.99
- Triathlon: $4,199.99 – $4,699.99
You can see that hybrid bikes and mountain bikes have starting prices far cheaper than most other mentioned models. This is because they are very popular and practical that both kids and adults can have fun and take advantage of them.
Are Trek Bicycles Any Good?
The brief answer would be yes. Trek bikes are really a good option for almost anyone. They have a long history of producing good-quality bikes that are trusted and used by different riders, from beginners to elite cyclists all over the world. That’s one of the key differentiating features making Trek bikes better than some competitors.
Besides, Trek bikes are equipped with modern technology, look stylish that is suitable for most bike trends these days. Typically, their bikes are built to retain value for a long period.
Trek vs. Giant vs. Specialized vs. Cannondale
Trek Bike Review
The Trek mountain bike is equipped with an advanced FOX 36 GRIP 2 damper, making it super strong and durable. Hence, you can easily get an exciting riding experience while keeping control of your bike on any terrain.
Nevertheless, you might find the Bontrager post slightly slow and sticky while riding. In contrast, it is relatively lightweight, only 30 lbs.
- Available in a wide range of types
- 2.6” tires and 140mm forks
- Rear suspension
- Innovative FOX 36 fork
- Bontrager stock post is a little bit sticky
Giant Bike Review
The Giant mountain bike is one of various models designed with a patented 4-pivot point system with a unique Suntour rear suspension. Based on the geometrical position of the aluminum seat and the axes, it is one of the most important single-axis shock absorbers. The suspension travel is 120mm.
It is equipped with a back-mounted derailleur and a single chain in the front of the bike with different 12 speeds.
- Offer excellent roll-over on rocky trails
- Come in a wide range of gears
- It doesn’t have a dropper post
See also overview of giant bikes.
Specialized Bike Review
Mainly manufactured with carbon fiber materials, these bikes can significantly reduce exclusive extras for a simple, easy-to-repair, and low-maintenance structure. Besides, they are equipped with threaded bottom bezel cases.
The FSR dedicated Horst Link offers a deep suspension with great tuning, and the SRAM XXI drivetrain with rubber cushioning eases bike operations and protects the chainstay well-protected from outdoor effects.
- Responsive FSR Deep Suspension
- Rubber cushioned bumper
- Sutter bumps continually
- Sketchy Gripton tires
Cannondale Bike Review
Cannondale bikes come in a different design with four-bar suspension and dual links, making them exceptionally responsive. Hence, you can deal with any type of trail. What’s more, they provide you with lots of grip and traction for better acceleration and more powerful braking force.
The best thing about these bikes is the four-bar suspension system, making them an ideal option for mountain biking. This is because as you brake the bike. It will significantly lessen the effects of anti-roll forces, increasing suspension responsiveness. This, as a result, will offer great traction and control. Nevertheless, it might also increase the forward-transmitted weight created as you are braking. So, just be cautious.
- Minimize traction
- Stays and Seat Posts are typically designed to comply
- Built-in front wheel sensors
- It will not work with derailleur
If you are looking for a bike for hard terrain, Trek bikes will be the best option. On the other hand, Cannondale bikes are great because of their aerodynamics. Specialized will be perfect for sharp corners, and Giant bikes offer excellent roll-over in different terrains.
It seems that Trek bikes are the better choice because of their extra features and advantages. So, if you are looking for a bike with added features and value for the money, Trek bikes are the best one.
Trek Mountain Bikes
Trek mountain bikes are specially designed to ride off-road for different purposes, from having fun, experiencing adventure to competition.
They have wide and knobby tires to increase traction on different trails. However, different models will feature different types of tires.
Trek provides the markets with a wide range of perfect mountain bikes, such as hardtail, full-suspension, etc. Each type has various wheel sizes and materials, like 27.5 inches or 29ers, carbon fiber, or aluminum.
Depending on your riding style, terrain types, budget, and other requirements, you can choose any of those models.
Trek Road Bikes
You can ride any model of Trek road bike in any type of riding situation, such as racing, long-distance touring, etc., while experiencing the effective performance. Each model comes in a different style that focuses on specific rider requirements and priorities. Hence, it is better to use different models for a certain type of ride. That’s why you need to decide the style of bike that fits your needs first before picking the one that you love to ride.
Trek Hybrid Bikes
Trek hybrid bikes are not only easy to ride, but they are also versatile so that you can carry them anywhere you want. This is because of their ultimate lightweight design. Besides, they are also comfortable for long-distance rides.
Trek Electric Bikes
Trek electric bikes are really fast and smooth to ride. The battery is not only long-lasting but also removable, allowing you to recharge it at any outlet in your house. More importantly, their power can be predictable and simple to manage, letting you control your bike better in any situation.
Take a look at this list of 23 electric bikes under $1000 you should buy.