Thousands of fitness programs are out there for you to choose from. However, many people are hesitant to try new things because they don’t see it as ‘real.’ They stick with what they know and are comfortable with instead of playing around with new ideas. But don’t be afraid! With the introduction of technology like the Peloton bike, all it takes is a little bit of trial and error before you find the right fit for you!
Table of Contents
- 5 Ways To Use Peloton To Lose Weight
- 5 Precautions Of Using Peloton
- Combination Of Other Exercises
5 Ways To Use Peloton To Lose Weight
The main function of the bike is to make sure that users are in motion. Peloton is a much easier way to burn calories because it’s so gentle. You can go for short rides without any kind of strain on your body. In fact, the movement of the Peloton is much safer because you’re not putting your joints at risk in the same way that running is. This means that you could potentially work out for much longer than you ever could before.
It’s also a great cardio workout that will increase your stamina and endurance overall. That means that it’s a great addition to a weight loss routine because you’ll be able to do more without getting tired. Of course, it does take an investment to get your Peloton in the first place. It’s considered a premium bike, so you’ll need to buy in at the higher end of the scale. The good news is that Peloton does cost less than other options that are out there for general fitness when considering that you’ll be exercising every day.
Using Peloton app
The best way to use the Peloton is to use the app as a guide. If you’re new to indoor cycling and want to gradually build up your stamina and strength, I recommend following along with each of the workouts as they’re listed in the app. If you’ve done other types of cycling before or you’re an experienced rider who just wants to try it for fun and burn fat, then feel free to choose your own pace and intensity levels.
- Get an account at Peloton-related app. This will allow you access to their monthly unlimited plan, which includes one bike ride per week + instructor-led videos! You can cancel anytime without any penalties if this isn’t for you.
- Choose your recumbent exercise bike and the number of classes throughout the month. You can always cancel anytime without any penalties if this isn’t for you.
- Go to the Peloton app and choose between 9 hours of classes per week. This allows you to take as many as 15 different classes a week! You can cancel anytime without any penalties if this isn’t for you.
- When your course is complete, the instructor will recommend a certain rider level that suits you well. You can then look through your options. You can ask to be re-evaluated for level advancement when your goals are achieved.
Peloton classes attendance
You should also make sure that you can attend Peloton classes at least one day a week in order to keep yourself going in the right direction. You’ll be amazed at how quickly you can lose weight when you do. It’s recommended that you bike for at least 20 minutes every day. That’s only about 20 minutes of your schedule, so it’s easy to fit into your overall recumbent plan. You should also take advantage of the little things that Peloton offers to make your workouts more fun. The app works by sending text messages to your phone while you’re exercising, so you can keep up with an important conversation while working out. This is a fine way to keep yourself accountable for your goals.
Peloton comes with over 100 different workouts where you’ll be able to burn fat in a group setting. These are perfect for beginners to get their feet wet and learn about the fundamentals of indoor cycling or even advanced riders who want to squeeze in some extra training in the gym when they don’t have time for longer sessions. The class is made up of instructors that will guide you through each workout, so there’s no need to worry about how much you should be pedaling or how high in the air you should be in order to reach your target heart rate.
- Choose your class time – The first thing you need to do is choose what day of the week would work best for your schedule, then sign up for it. The initial month is completely free, you can use the trial period to decide whether you like Peloton or not, but I am sure you will.
- Get your first package – You need to purchase the first package of classes so that you can start working out your new Peloton machine. The cool thing about these packages is redeemable for life, even if you stop paying for them, which means that they are also great for an unexpected emergency.
- Get Peloton membership – You have to have a membership to Peloton. It is not required, but it would be really good if you decided on getting one since it will allow you to save money on your first month. If you do not wish to join a membership, then you are probably not going to get the best benefits that are associated with it.
The new Peloton app has a feature that allows you to create your own custom workout, which can include cycling drills and interval training, as well as home gym equipment like dumbbells. If you’re not into groups or prefer to work out at home on your own, then this is the best way to go! However, if you intend to buy any of the Peloton bikes (which essentially replace your current bike), then you’ll need to complete the workouts on the app before buying new equipment.
- Download the app on whatever device you would like to use
- Purchase a bike or watch together with some workout equipment
- Set up your choice of home workout on your chosen device
- You can now work out at home, getting your heart rate up along with the feel of riding on your bike!
- You can also watch motivational videos on the Peloton TV app alongside the workout
The cardio aspect of indoor cycling can be done with or without a group class. All you need is to choose the right intensity level, where you’ll be working 60-70% of your max heart rate for shorter intervals while keeping 100-110bpm steady on longer bouts. I recommend using Peloton for interval training only if you’re already familiar with indoor cycling or if you plan on buying your own Peloton bike.
- Sign up for a trial with Peloton.
- After you have done so, you can either start an interval training workout in their online streaming service or in their in-home app on your laptop.
- Each workout has a different interval time, but the typical range is between 3 and 5 minutes of work with 1-2 minutes of rest periods for each exercise section; there are four 30 minute workouts available to try out for free!
- The intervals will get progressively harder throughout each hour-long session; they encourage you to take breaks when needed and decide if it’s appropriate for any areas that may be more vulnerable or need attention (we recommend doing this every 2nd day).
- If you are trying the app on your laptop, your screen will show your tracking for how long you have exercised and how much time is left in the workout. If you are using the app on your iPad, then you can use the arrow buttons at the bottom of each screen to see this information.
- When it’s time to move onto a new exercise after an interval period of work, just press play to move onto that selection!
- Use both arms when lifting weights — if there are two options for an exercise (such as dumbbells or a bar), always choose both arms! You work more muscles by doing this, and it engages more of your core muscles too!
- Give your body time after working out to cool down, hydrate, and recover. We recommend drinking 1-2 quarts of water to replenish all the fluid you have lost while exercising!
Daily morning exercise
There are several different ways that you can use Peloton to lose weight. The simplest way is to use it for your morning routine. If you’re already setting the alarm, you might as well get up and exercise at the same time. If you only ride the bike for only 5 minutes, you’ll still go ahead and start your day off with a win. This is something that’s guaranteed to improve your mood and make it easier to stay motivated throughout the day.
Most of you have a busy schedule, and it’s not easy to squeeze in time to get exercise. But know it is possible. Follow the tips on how to start living a healthy lifestyle and how you can lose weight with Peloton.
- Set a goal for yourself
- If you don’t know what your goals are, or if they’re too high, start off slow. Take shorter steps that help you achieve your goal in a gradual manner. For example, set up a plan where every week you add 10 minutes more of exercise on the bike or increase the resistance by 1%. This way, the goal is realistic, and you won’t get frustrated when it’s not fully achieved.
- Set a timetable
- Set a timetable for when you want to exercise. For example, starts at 6 am in the morning and finish at 8 am in the evening. Then go for a short nap in-between or play some games on your phone, or have breakfast at home before going to work. Although these may sound boring, they will actually help you in achieving your goals in a gradual manner.
- Take advantage of the time
- Make sure that after your workout, you eat something that will keep your energy levels high so that you can exercise again later that day or the following day, for instance.
- Keep fitting indoors
- You can easily get fit indoors with Peloton bikes. On the Peloton website, you’ll find a range of different Peloton bikes, which are designed in different styles and colors. You can choose between a simple iron bike or the dual-action bike, which enables you to work out on both the front and back wheel. They’re also designed with a built-in tablet that has a touchscreen and allows you to watch your favorite videos as you exercise.
- Have fun as you lose weight
- Whether it’s an indoor bike or an outdoor bike, make sure that as you exercise, you don’t feel like it’s work. It should make you happy and not boring. Make it fun each time and enjoy the moment. You can even meet other people who love exercising and lose weight with Peloton over time and form a group to help and support each other along the way.
5 Precautions Of Using Peloton
Consistency is key
When it comes to losing weight with Peloton, consistency is key. In order to lose excess fat and weight, riding on a bike for 30 minutes a day, five times a week is not going to do the trick alone because your body gets used to doing the same workout you did last week. If you’re riding the same route every time, you’re not getting a well-rounded workout that will help you change your body.
You may not be burning as many calories as you think.
There are two main training zones that you can ride or “burn” calories in. The first is the aerobic zone, which is where your heart rate stays between 60% and 80% of its maximum. A subcategory of this zone is the fat-burning zone, which lies between 55% and 65%, also referred to as the “VO2 Max” zone. From here on out, I will be referring to this area as the anaerobic zone.
You may be wondering how working out at 60% effort can burn so many more calories than you would think. The answer lies in your body’s metabolism. When your muscles are not active, they are still burning calories at rest. If you are lifting weights, your metabolism will be higher; therefore, calories will burn at a higher rate. The more muscle you have, the more food you need to consume in order to continue losing weight.
You’re eating more than you think.
Most people will assume that working out makes them hungrier, and hence they eat more to make up for it; this is false! According to SELF Magazine, when you work out for an hour or longer, oftentimes, that sense of hunger is just your body telling you that it needs nutrients.
When exercising in a fasted state, you burn more fat. What does this mean? If you’re going to lift weights, you should not have eaten anything in at least 2 hours. This is according to a study conducted by the University of New South Wales in Australia, stating that when working out on an empty stomach, you burn 40% more calories! This is because your body burns your fat stores for energy rather than the food that is sitting in your stomach.
Use food as a reward for working out.
We live in an instant gratification world; we want everything now, and we want it immediately. Unfortunately, weight loss and fitness are not always that simple and straightforward. You have to be patient, consistent, and work hard! But the problem is that people want results fast. This is why they reward themselves with food after a workout.
As a society, we think it’s OK to eat anything we want as long as we burn it off through exercise. Many people will give themselves a pass for eating something they would never normally eat because they were “good” at working out. This mindset will only lead to one thing: binge-eating and weight gain.
According to the US News & World Report, one of the most common things dieters say they do is reward themselves with food after working out. It’s the same thing that unhealthy eater does before they go on a diet. You can’t fall off this bandwagon because you want it too badly, or you will use food as a reward for working out, which will only lead to more weight gain in the long run.
The workouts make you hungrier.
When you work out in an anaerobic state, you are burning calories at a much higher rate. This leads to frequent hunger pangs because your body does not know how to process everything else it is digesting at the moment.
You can get yourself into trouble when your body is processing all of this extra fuel! The only way that your body knows how to burn fat is by cutting it up into very tiny little bits that can be digested quickly. This leaves your body in the same situation that it was trying to get out of before you started working out; burning too many calories.
Combination Of Other Exercises
Peloton has been lauded for its effectiveness. It has received the highest rating of five stars in both Health and Fitness, according to the rating aggregator website Epinions. Peloton is one of the leading fitness brands on the market, but many questions if it lives up to its status. Others say Peloton is simply not enough by itself to help you shed inches by consistently riding for at least 30 minutes a day. You need to combine other things with your workouts if you want them to be effective.
Walking on a treadmill is an excellent way to lose weight. When you walk, you burn more calories than by sitting or doing other low-impact exercises. You can also vary your speed while walking, which will work different muscles in your lower body while providing a cardiovascular workout.
Adding strength training with free weights and machines at the gym will help build muscle and increase your metabolism. Muscle burns more calories than fat, even when it’s resting, so the more muscle you have, the faster you’ll see results! A good program combines cardio with resistance training for optimal results.
This popular activity is fantastic for the body and mind, but only if you play correctly. When playing, remember to keep a good posture to avoid injury. When playing tennis, use your arms and shoulders to swing your racket instead of your hands and wrists. This will help you learn the proper technique that will hopefully stay with you for life.
I’ve tried Pilates classes but didn’t like them much. However, I do think the program has benefits beyond what I experienced in class. There are many Pilates DVDs available that you can use at home to strengthen the major muscle groups in your body. Pilates can be a slow, gentle way to move into more intense exercise, or it can supplement an existing workout.
Your mind and body will be brought into balance with yoga. It is believed that through this balance, you achieve true health. Yoga involves poses that stretch and strengthen your muscles. While you’re exerting yourself in these poses, you are also breathing deeply to relax your mind and body. This combination brings about both physical and mental well-being.
Calisthenics is exercised involving using your own body weight for resistance instead of free weights or machines at the gym. Calisthenics is exercises like pushups, pull-ups, squats, and planks. They can be done anywhere! You need a little floor space to do them. This simple way to do exercise is great for beginners since it doesn’t require any special equipment.
Has anyone lost weight using Peloton?
Yes! The best we can tell, Peloton is a calorie burner and exercise machine in one. Believe it or not, it might even be more effective than running in the park or in your basement. In just 30 minutes, you can burn 500-800 calories on a bike while being entertained by live music from some of the world’s best entertainers and DJs. After just a few sessions with Peloton, you’ll start to see results: say goodbye to that spare tire around your waist and hello to a slimmer you!
Will peloton help me lose belly fat?
Yes! If exercised properly, biking will help tone your core muscles.
Will I lose weight by spinning five times a week?
This is the ultimate question that most people ask themselves when they decide that it’s time to get in shape. We all know exercise is necessary for weight loss but is spinning enough? It’s true that exercise won’t help you lose fat if you don’t also watch your diet. But one thing for sure – spinning will definitely help you with this!
Does Peloton change your body?
Yes. We would not recommend Peloton as a weight loss program. It is, however, very effective as an exercise machine, and as such, has many people who use it for that purpose.