Pretty much everyone wears them – they’re versatile, flattering, and comfortable. Mom jeans are the new denim. But with so many options out there for footwear, how do you decide what shoes to wear with your new favorite pants? We’ve got it covered. Check out our style guide on what shoes to wear with mom jeans.
Many people are starting to have an aversion towards clothing that doesn’t fit their age or body ideally or is too short for them somehow. A trend that has gradually been gaining traction is the wearing of “mom jeans.
It may seem like a simple question, but it’s pretty complicated. Which type of shoe should you choose? And if you do go for something casual, then what should your first and second choices be? There’s no greater shame than trying to find the perfect pair of shoes, only to walk outside and see someone else wearing them.
Table of Contents
- 10 Shoe Styles To Pair With Mom Jeans
- In Conclusion
10 Shoe Styles To Pair With Mom Jeans
Superstars like Hailey Bieber and Kendall Jenner are more likely to be seen wearing mom jeans with a big coat, a plain white waistcoat, and stiletto heels. What’s the allure? Their casual but shaping design makes them the ideal denim choice for anyone with a sensual and carefree look.
The attractiveness of these jeans stems from the fact that they can be worn with just about everything. There are, however, some things that work better with jeans, particularly mom jeans, than others. We’re frequently asked which shoe styles go best with denim, so we’ve done our best to address that question for you. Here are five shoes to wear with mom jeans, as exhibited by some of our chic friends, ranging from flats and trainers to boots and heels.
Wedges may be the most popular shoe for mom jeans, and good reason: They come in every color imaginable, and they can be dressed up or down. You can wear them to work and then switch into a more casual look with them later on in the day. For example, if you’re going out later with your significant other, you can easily remove the laces and put on a pair of flats. Then you’ve got two great looks in one pair of shoes!
A lot of women like to wear wedges because they make your legs look longer (which is excellent if you’re short!), but do remember that they will make your legs look shorter as well.
1. Make sure the wedges you buy don’t have a thick sole because that will eat up your leg length and make them less effective
2. Try to stick with wedges that don’t have too many straps or buckles so they don’t ruin your look
3. Try to buy styles that come in more than one color so that you can switch up the look of your outfit throughout the day
4. Don’t worry if you find a pair of wedges you love, but they’re not hugely popular—your trendy shoes are only trendy if you wear them!
2. Kitten Heels
Kitten heels can be a tough call for mom jeans. On the one hand, they come in many colors and can dress up your outfit, but on the other hand, they can make you look like you’re trying too hard. The trick with kitten heels is to keep them streamlined and straightforward.
They work best if they don’t have too many straps or buckles, and if you stick to black or tan, then no one will say that you’re trying too hard to be fashionable. These heels are more about elegance than anything else—they’ll make your legs look longer, and your butt looks great (especially in mom jeans), but it’s important not to go overboard on them.
1. Stick with simple kitten heels that are black or tan. You don’t want to get anything too flashy (or anything in red, because that goes against the whole mom jeans concept), and you want something with minimal buckles
2. If you do get a pair of kitten heels with buckles, make sure they’re not too fancy or elaborate—you can get fancy shoes in other colors that will still go well with your outfit
3. You can always switch into flats later on in the day, so it’s okay if you’re taller than average
4. Try to stay away from pink—the bright color is fine for younger girls but not mom jeans-wearers
Boots can be an excellent choice for mom jeans—they come in any color and make your legs look longer and leaner. The boots that work best with mom jeans are the same as those with jeans in general: cowboy boots, riding boots, combat boots.
They’re all about adding an overall modest “country” feel to the overall outfit. Many women like to go with brown because it helps tone down some of the brighter colors, but you can also try olive or black. Just make sure you don’t go overboard on buckles or straps because those will clash with the overall look and detract from your waist and butt (which is really what you want to be showing off!).
1. Choose a pair of boots that don’t have too many buckles or straps—you don’t want to detract from the outfit’s focus, which is your waist and butt!
2. You can easily switch into flats later on in the day, so it’s okay if you’re taller than average
4. Wear a belt with your boots to make sure they stay up and look shorter
Sneakers are an excellent choice for mom jeans because they come in all different colors, are incredibly comfortable, and are very casual. The problem with sneakers is that it can be tricky to find the right pair—they’re perfect if you can find them in black or tan, but you still want to go for something that’s not too colorful. And just like everything else, you also want to avoid anything too flashy or showy.
Sneakers are always a reliable and guaranteed excellent match when it comes to denim pants. Whether they’re sleek and minimalistic or make a dramatic statement, you can never go wrong with your favorite sneakers. If you want to give the appearance of a thinner silhouette, replace your sneakers with ones that have a raised platform sole for added height.
1. Try to stick with simple sneaker styles that don’t have buckles, straps, or too much detail—you don’t want anything that will detract from your look
2. If you do find the perfect pair of sneakers, try to buy multiple colors
3. You can always switch into flats later on in the day if you’re worried about looking too tall
5. Pumps & Loafers
Because they come in various colors and are incredibly comfortable, traditional pumps and loafers might be a perfect choice for mom jeans (especially the loafers). Of course, every mom jeans lady needs a pair of pumps or loafers, but you must be careful not to overdo it—you don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on shoes that will only be used for one season.
1. Choose shoes that are made of leather so they’ll last longer (and look better with age)
2. Go for something simple like black or tan pumps, but try to avoid anything too flashy (or anything too small)
3. You can easily switch into flats later on in the day to make yourself look taller
4. Avoid anything too young or too old-fashioned—mom jeans go best with something right in the middle!
Flip-flops are a great look for mom jeans because they come in all different colors and are incredibly comfortable. The only problem is that you have to be careful with them—you want them to look fun and casual, but you don’t want to lose the focus of your outfit, which is the bottom 1/3 of your body. If you’re worried about getting too much attention from people looking at your feet, then flip-flops are not for you!
1. Make sure you’ve got flip-flops that are black, brown, or tan—if you pick something too flashy or gaudy, it will only draw attention to your feet!
2. Go for simple flip-flops with minimal details—you don’t want something overly stylish or too plain
3. You can always wear flats later on in the day to make yourself look taller
7. Gladiator Sandals
Gladiator sandals are another great choice for mom jeans—they come in so many colors and are incredibly comfortable (especially the ones with straps). The only problem is that gladiator sandals a little bit on the flashy side, so you need to be careful with them—to make sure they look good with mom jeans, you don’t want to go too far in the “scene” direction.
1. Choose black, tan, or brown sandals—if you go for something too bright or colorful, it will distract from your legs.
2. Choose straps over buckles for your sandals—you want everything to look sleek and elegant!
3. If you’re concerned about your height, you can easily change into flats later in the day.
4. If you want to tone down the whole scene-y vibe, you can always wear socks
Brogues are a great option for mom jeans because they can come in any color and are incredibly comfortable. The only problem is that you have to be careful with them—you don’t want to go too far into the “scene” direction, so if you order a pair of brogues, it’s good to get one or two pairs in black, tan, or brown.
1. Choose something simple—brogues can be trendy, so you don’t want anything too flashy!
2. Try to avoid anything too young or overly fancy—you don’t want your feet to steal the spotlight from your legs!
3. You can always switch into flats later on in the day to make yourself look taller
9. Ballet flats
Ballet flats are an excellent look for mom jeans because they come in different colors and are incredibly comfortable for your feet. The only problem is that ballet flats don’t show off your butt and waist as boots and sneakers do, so you may want to avoid them if you’re going out somewhere where it’s important to be showing off those two areas.
1. Make sure you’ve got black, tan, or brown ballet flats—if you pick something too flashy or colorful, it will just draw attention away from the rest of your outfit
2. Go for something with a few straps as possible!
3. You can always wear flats later on in the day to make yourself look taller
e the shoes you’ll want to wear with your favorite outfits if you want to be a ‘cool mom.
Because they come in so many colors and are so comfy, slides are a terrific style for mom jeans. The only issue is that you have to be cautious when using them—you don’t want anything too young (or old-fashioned), babyish, or striking.
1. Choose black, brown, or tan slides—if you choose something too vibrant or flashy, it will detract from the rest of your ensemble!
2. Keep it simple with no-frills sandals or single-strap slides—you don’t want anything too fancy!
If you want to wear mom jeans the right way, it’s essential to pick the right pair of shoes! Mom jeans go well with simple and comfortable shoes, so any of the options on this list should be perfect for you. But if you want to dress them up a bit, you can always wear flats or ballet flats later on in the day.
Is it okay for me to wear ankle boots with mom jeans?
Mom jeans look best with heels, such as tall, elegant ankle boots, which stretch the legs and complement the denim shape. Mom jeans, on the other hand, are quite adaptable and go well with a variety of various shoe designs.
Is it still fashionable to wear mom jeans in 2021?
Fashion trends have demonstrated that mom jeans will never go out of style, regardless of the decade. These high-waisted jeans were popular in the late 1980s and 1990s, and they’re making a comeback now.
Do mom jeans go well with other denim styles?
Sure! The easiest way to pair mom jeans is to wear them with another style of denim—for example, you can pair them with the classic boyfriend jean or t-shirt. You can also pair them with more stylish options, like wash jeans or indigo selvage denim, but note that they’re not the best choice for these other styles because they’re much too young and trendy looking.
Do mom jeans look good with dad jeans?
Absolutely! Mom jeans and dad jeans go together perfectly, and they’re a great way to spice up your work outfits or casual styles. For ladies who want to wear them together, you can grab a pair of mom jeans and wear an old pair of boyfriend denim as your dad’s jeans! Or you can pair them with a plain t-shirt, like the one on the right, as your top.