You want to dress sharp and collected at work, but you’re not sure what shoe to wear with your suit. And if you’re wearing an outfit that will be seen by the public, then there are even more considerations. You don’t want to look like you rolled out of bed or that you’ve only just got out of the shower. You want to look like you didn’t think about it all night, and show up alive the next morning.
Table of Contents
- Match Shoes With a Suit by The Following Colors
- Match Shoes with a Suit by Material
- Suggestions Some Styles of Shoe to Match with a Suit
- Best Combinations Suits and Shoes
- Shoes to Wear with Suits for Ladies
Match Shoes With a Suit by The Following Colors
Typically, black shoes work best with a black or navy suit. If you’re wearing a pinstripe suit, just be sure to have your shoes match the exact color of your pants. If you’re wearing a grey or khaki suit, then the black shoes will go well with them, but always make sure the shoe is darker than the trousers
As with any brown shoe, if it has personality then it works well with your color scheme (think brown suede/Timberland boots).
Green shoes can be worn with almost any suit, as long as the color is one that goes well with your suit. The same goes for brown boots.
Any shoes in red color will go well with your red or navy suit. Especially if you’re wearing a button-up shirt and tie.
When you wear a natural shoe, such as white or nude, it looks like you’ve dressed every morning without the need to think about what to wear. It’s much better than showing up in black and looking like you’re just waking up.
A blue suit with blue shoes is a great combination. Try to get interesting or colorful shoes, not just plain black or brown ones. Try burgundy or red shoes for suits in other colors too.
Purple shoes look fantastic with a purple or maroon suit, but you should avoid pairing them with red.
Match Shoes with a Suit by Material
Leathered shoes are perfect with a suit. If you have a pretty bright color, then try to have your shoes match it. If the jacket comes in grey or dark brown, then spray the shoe with a lighter shade of either of those colors.
If you have a brown, black, or grey suit, then the wood shoes will look very sharp. You can have your shoes match the color of your suit, or just go with a darker shade. As long as the shoe isn’t so dark that it’s looking spooky.
Sports shoes are best with a sports jacket – they will complement each other very well – and sports pants.
For pantsuits, look for rubber shoes that go well with the suit. If you don’t want to wear rubber shoes, then consider strappy heels.
These are the most difficult to pair together. If you’re wearing a leather or suede jacket, take note of the color of your pants and make sure the shoe matches them both. That means that if you’re wearing black pants then it means black shoes, but if you’re wearing grey or khaki then you should match them with grey shoes.
Suggestions Some Styles of Shoe to Match with a Suit
This is the most common type of leather shoe you’ll see with a suit. They are very versatile because they can go with any color. But some people consider the bluchers to be too casual for business wear, so if you’re going to wear them it’s best to match them with a pair of chinos or dress pants.
This is a stylish shoe that goes great with the same colors as the suit. It will also work well with all types of suits. Make sure to have your shoes match the color or pattern of the rest of your suit though.
This shoe is incredibly elegant, but unfortunately, it can be quite expensive because it’s typically very hard to find a pair that fits well and looks good on you.
They are ideal for business wear if you’re wearing pants that aren’t too dark. If you’re wearing a pinstripe suit, then make sure the color of your shoes matches the color of your pants.
If you want to be comfortable and still look sharp, then the monk straps are the shoe for you. They are ideal for business wear if your pants are black or brown instead of grey or khaki.
There are many different types of sneakers to wear with activewear or to wear when you don’t want to use a shoehorn. They look great with almost any suit, and they can be worn with socks or without. They’re all the rage right now, so you can even get a shoe that has a business suit look to it, but still allows your feet to breathe.
Heels can be a great choice for going out in the evening. If you’re going to wear them to work, then they should have a very low or invisible platform, and they should be closed to the toe.
Just like heels, flats / foldable flats will also go great with an evening outfit if you pair them with the right jewelry. But make sure they’re closed toes and not too flat where they make your feet look small.
Best Combinations Suits and Shoes
- Black suit, black shoes: You can never go wrong with this combination.
- Navy suit, black shoes: These two colors have a timeless element that you’ll always look professional in.
- Grey suit, brown shoes: This is a great combination if your shoes match the color of your pants exactly.
- Brown suit, brown or tan shoes: It’s always best to have the same color for the shoe and pants.
- Navy suit, brown shoes: This is a great color combination to try if you’re wearing a pinstripe suit.
- Grey suit, brown shoes: Just like the navy and brown combination, this one looks great too.
- Green or blue suits, brown or tan shoes: You can’t go wrong with these two colors together. Just make sure that the shoe matches the color of your pants closely.
- Brown suede bluchers: The dark shade will look sharp with almost any color combination.
Shoes to Wear with Suits for Ladies
- Ballerina flats: These are classic shoes. They are comfortable, they are easy to accessorize with, and they’re easy to match with almost any suit.
- Satin heels: This is an alternative to ballerinas if you prefer the look of heels. They’re great for wearing with a pink or purple suit because it’s a feminine color that matches many female suits well.
- Leather heel: This is the most popular option for women’s shoes with suits. The heel isn’t too high so you can walk around in them, and the style is very stylish so they go great with almost any suit.
- Sandals: There are many varieties of sandals to choose from, but you should avoid wearing flip-flops with a suit or business attire in general.
- Strappy heel: This is an excellent choice for suits that are made out of pretty bold colors, such as purple or pink.
What shoes to wear with a blue suit?
Some great shoe choices for a blue suit include brown derby shoes, brown suede bluchers, or Oxford shoes. Blue suits are one of my favorite colors to match with shoes. Blue suits go great with navy or black. Navy shoes go great with blue. Black suits will work with almost any shoe, but they are typically more masculine so you’ll want to avoid wearing them with very girly or feminine colors. Black shoes can be worn with anything that goes well with black.
What shoes to wear with a tweed suit?
You’ll want to keep it simple and stick with tweed if you’re wearing a tweed suit. If that’s the case then I’d suggest choosing a pair of black shoes, as these are generally very easy to match with any kind of outfit. If you’re wearing a tweed suit that has white, then consider brown shoes. If you’re wearing a tweed suit with green, then brown shoes are also the right choice. Consider even grey or white shoes if your suit doesn’t have many colors in them, but make sure they match the rest of your suit in color.
What shoes to wear with suit pants?
The right shoes to wear with suit pants depend on the type of suit you are wearing. You can wear black shoes with almost any suit because they are neutral, but if you are wearing a conservative business suit, try to avoid mixed colors. Consider brown or another safe color instead.
What shoes to wear with a suit for a wedding?
A suit with a shiny or dark material would look good with tuxedo shoes, but I think it’s best to stick with black. A tuxedo shoe has a hard=toe cap so they will wear well for the length of the event, and because it is just one color, you’ll want to avoid wearing them with pants that are too light.
What shoes to wear with a suit in winter?
In the winter, I would suggest wearing a suit with dark material in a dark color. For example, in deeper colors such as navy blue, charcoal gray, or midnight black.
What shoes to wear with suit shorts?
If you’re not wearing socks with your suit shorts, then you should wear leather shoes that match the color of your suit. If you do wear socks with your suit shorts, you’ll want to avoid wearing shoes that will show when they go over the top of them. You can also get shoes that are designed to be worn with casual shorts. These shoes come in darker colors like brown, tan, or black, and they can match up with your suit pants while still making the whole look more casual.
What shoes to wear with suit trousers?
The right shoes to wear with suit trousers depend on the type of suit you are wearing. You can wear black shoes with almost any suit because they are neutral, but if you are wearing a conservative business suit, try to avoid mixed colors. Consider brown or another safe color instead.