You can use the Lean Body Mass calculator to compute your estimated lean body mass. The result will depend on your gender, height, weight, and age. When it comes to comparison purposes, you can get the result of many formulas.
Lean Body Mass Calculator Form:
This calculator aimed to calculate a person’s lean body mass (LBM) and their percentage of LBM. The formula is: LBM = 100 – (weight in kilograms x 0.001). This calculator will also show the individual’s intake for their caloric and protein needs as well as how much weight they can lose at their current percentage of LBM.
The body fat calculator will then show a person what percent of their total weight is composed of fat relative to the individual’s total weight.
The user must input their weight in pounds and their body fat percentage. The calculation will then provide you with a percentage measurement for your Lean Body Mass as well as an estimation of how much your LBM makes up out of your total weight (body weight).
Table of Contents
Lean Body Mass Chart
Lean body mass or weight is known as the amount of your body weight, except for the fat percentage in your body. It is the amount of body fat minus total body weight. The below table will show you male and female’s lean body mass with their corresponding height.
|Height||Estimated Lean Body Weight|
|Imperial||Metrics||Male (kg)||Female (kg)|
|4 ft 8 in||142 cm||40.8||36.3|
|4 ft 9 in||145 cm||43.1||38.6|
|4 ft 10 in||147 cm||45.4||40.9|
|4 ft 11 in||150 cm||47.7||43.2|
|5 ft 0 in||152 cm||50.0||45.5|
|5 ft 1 in||155 cm||52.3||47.8|
|5 ft 2 in||157 cm||54.6||50.1|
|5 ft 3 in||160 cm||56.9||52.4|
|5 ft 4 in||163 cm||59.2||54.7|
|5 ft 5 in||165 cm||61.5||57.0|
|5 ft 6 in||168 cm||63.8||59.3|
|5 ft 7 in||170 cm||66.1||61.6|
|5 ft 8 in||173 cm||68.4||63.9|
|5 ft 9 in||175 cm||70.7||66.2|
|5 ft 10 in||178 cm||73.0||68.5|
|5 ft 11 in||180 cm||75.3||70.8|
|6 ft 0 in||183 cm||77.6||73.1|
|6 ft 1 in||185 cm||79.9||75.4|
|6 ft 2 in||188 cm||82.2||77.7|
|6 ft 3 in||191 cm||84.5||80.0|
|6 ft 4 in||193 cm||86.8||82.3|
|6 ft 5 in||196 cm||89.1||84.6|
|6 ft 6 in||198 cm||91.4||86.9|
|6 ft 7 in||201 cm||93.7||89.2|
|6 ft 8 in||203 cm||96.0||91.5|
Note: (+) or ( – ) 2.3kg per inch over/under 5 feet tall (+) 50kg for males or (+) 45.5kg for females.
What Lean Body Mass is?
Lean Body Mass is the weight of one’s “fat-free” body. This is an estimate of the amount of weight that will remain if your body fat percentage is reduced to zero.
How to Determine Lean Body Mass?
There are a number of ways to determine your lean body mass. Some of these measurements are very accurate and can be performed in a doctor’s office. Other methods can be done at home using various scales and measuring devices. Yet other ways to measure Lean Body Mass rely on the subjective opinion of the person themselves as well as friends and family.
The main advantage that is provided by this calculator is that it is very simple to use and it does not require any measuring devices or tools.
Method 1: Using calculations and measurements
- Estimate your lean body mass based on your height and weight. Although this is not an absolutely exact measurement, it allows you to estimate your body fat percentage with your height and weight. It is very simple to get your lean body mass (in kg). Just enter your weight (in kg) for “W” and your height (in cm) for “H” into the following equation.
- Men: Lean body mass = (0.32810 × W) + (0.33929 × H) − 29.5336
- For women: Lean body mass = (0.29569 × W) + (0.41813 × H) − 43.2933
- Note: 1lb = 0.453592kg, and 1in = 2.54cm
- You can also use online tools such as this one
- Compute your LBM from your body fat percentage. You can use the following formula to know your lean body mass. Divide your body fat percentage by 100 to get a decimal, then multiply it by your overall body weight. For instance, if you weigh 160 lbs and know that your body fat percentage is 25%, then multiply 160 x 0.25, you will get your fat in pounds. That will be 160 x 0.25 = 40 lbs. After that, subtract this number from your overall body weight to get your LBM. In this case, it will be 160 – 40 = 120 lbs of lean body mass.
Note: You can use either pounds or kilograms to calculate your lean body mass. Just make sure that you use the same measurements during your computations.
- Find out your body fat percentage from a skinfold measurement. A skilled practitioner can calculate your body fat percentage using a pinching tool called a caliper. He will pinch probably three, four, or seven different parts of your body and compute your skinfold thickness. He can determine your body fat percentage by attaching these numbers into a formula or using an online conversion table. This method is very cheap, but the result might not be extremely precise.
Note: You can find someone like gym trainers, sports therapists because they might be familiar with this method to check your body fat percentage for you.
Method 2: Utilizing Technology
- Use a bioelectrical impedance scale. If you workout at a gym, you probably have seen a bioelectrical impedance scale. This scale has electrodes, and when you stand on it, it will send light electricity through all parts of your body to calculate body fat percentage. It is safe, and you just feel nothing. Just stand barefoot on it and follow the instructions.
- Some scales might tell you your body’s lean mass directly. However, almost all scales will likely only decide your body fat percentage.
- You can buy this scale for home use to keep an eye on your body fat percentage after some time.
- This method is very easy to use but not always precise.
- Use hydrostatic weighing. A hydrostatic or underwater scale compares your weight when you are on land to the weight when you are fully immersed in water. A proficient technician can then estimate your body fat percentage. You can be assured that this technique provides you with a very accurate result. However, it might be a bit expensive, which is around $40-60 on average.
- A “bod pod” (or air displacement plethysmography machine) is relatively the same as the hydrostatic scale. The only difference is that it uses air instead of water. This method is relatively accurate for those who are close to a healthy BMI, but it might be less precise for very lean individuals.
- Get a DEXA scan. A dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA or DEXA) scanner is used just like an X-ray scanner. It is a completely safe and highly accurate procedure. However, you will need to go to the hospital which offers DEXA scanners. A medical professional will help you measure your body fat percentage. And it might be very expensive.
Tips: If you are increasing your exercise to lose weight, it is very important to eat more protein than normal because it can help you maintain your lean body mass.
17 Simple Tips to Help You Increase Lean Body Mass
To get a healthy and toned body, you have to lose fat and build muscle, which then develops a lean body mass. Follow these steps to lose weight while increasing lean body mass.
- Boost cardio fitness. There is no better way to lose calories than doing a lot of cardio. This is because it can help you burn fat for fuel as long as you eat fewer calories than you burn.
- Start triathlon training. There are different ways to prevent boredom when doing the same exercises every day. So, you can do a long run on the first day, a hill run the next day, and improve your stroke the day after.
- Lift weights. Doing only cardio can help you lose fat, but you will also lose muscle. That’s why lifting weights can help you maintain that muscle (whether you are a male or female).
- Eat enough protein. According to almost all nutritionists, if you are trying to increase muscle, you should get 1 gram of protein per kilogram of your total body weight. And those who don’t exercise, the amount of protein should be less.
- Focus on body fat percentage, not weight. You can use the body fat scale to determine your body fat percentage. In addition, tape measurement is also popularly used. You can calculate your neck, chest, waist, arms, and thighs.
- Be responsible. You can join or follow some online forums where you can tell other members what you eat and what exercise you do every day. If you don’t use one of these tools, you can tell your friends or family about your updates on your training progress, either in person or by email.
- Eat when you feel hungry and stop when you are full. This seems to be fundamental advice, but your muscle or lean body mass journey is only effective when you follow it.
- Get into a calorie deficit. In fact, your body is always burning fat. However, when you finish your meal, if your body doesn’t need any of those calories, it will store them as body fat. So, in terms of balance, you won’t lose fat if you don’t have a calorie deficit.
- But don’t run into a deficit in your exercise time. If you are doing a lot of (intensive) exercises, you will need fuel for those exercises, recovery, and growth as well. Starving yourself while training in a high intensity will only lead to low energy and breakdown of your body.
- Eat clean and healthy if possible. You should eat as little junk food or processed foods as possible. Instead, add healthy foods to your diet such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, beans, lean proteins, etc.
- But don’t harshly deny yourself. If you are on your diet and limit eating what your body really wants to, you will ultimately overeat. It is not a healthy form of eating. Instead, enjoy what your body craves, but do it in a proper and moderate way.
- Eat a lot of vegetables and fruits. They play a very important role in helping you get a leaner body.
- High-quality carbs are good nutrition. If you are increasing exercise, you will need to consume carbs even though lots of carbs have been metamorphosed. However, you can eat high-quality carbs such as whole grains, oatmeal, fruits, vegetables, etc.
- Drink water only. Make sure you get enough water to stay hydrated. Also, just drink water instead of soft drinks or juice to get rid of those added calories.
- Boost intensity. Once you build some endurance in any kind of exercise, it is recommended to increase that workout’s intensity around one or two times a week.
- Don’t forget to rest. Rest is as crucial as exercise. You need to rest so that your body will have time to heal itself and grow stronger. Exercising all the time only makes you tired. Your body will be broken down or injured. So, make sure you give yourself a complete break day per week or even two if you are a beginner. Do a really hard or intensive workout day and follow an easy day after that (or rest). Get enough sleep or even more than normal.
- Above all, enjoy yourself! Getting a lean and healthy body is a long process. So, it is important to find exercises you have been looking for and love to do it. Eat healthy foods that your body loves. Have a good and healthy lifestyle. All of these things will help you achieve your ideal lean body mass while enjoying your journey.
26 Healthy Foods That Help You Build Lean Muscle
You might wonder what you should eat for lean body mass. Well, if you really want to gain lean muscle mass, you need to focus on both nutrition and physical activities.
You all might know that challenging your body via physical activities is very critical. However, if you don’t get the right nutrition support, your progress will be delayed.
Protein-rich foods are extremely vital for building muscle, but you also need carbohydrates and fats as a source of energy. The ideal way to gain lean muscle is combining regular exercise and eating more calories per day from muscle-gaining foods.
Here is the list of the top 26 good foods for lean muscle gaining:
- Chicken Breast
- Greek Yogurt
- Lean Beef
- Cottage Cheese
- Turkey Breast
- Protein Powders
- Lean Jerky
- Pork Tenderloin
- Brown Rice
There are many foods that can help you gain lean muscle mass. Many of them are high in protein and allow your muscles to recover and increase after you exercise.
Having said that, you also need to consume a certain amount of fats and carbohydrates to provide energy for physical activities.
In addition, many of the foods on the list above have minerals and vitamins that your body will need to function at its best.
All in all, it is best to have those foods on your daily meals and exercise regularly in moderation to gain body lean muscle.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gaining lean body mass is a process. That means you need to have a proper diet and suitable exercise or workout route. While on your progress, it is inevitable that you have questions or concerns about this matter. The following part will help you find out answers to some of the most popularly asked questions about lean body mass.
What is the average Lean Body Mass for a 20 year old person?
According to the World Health Organization’s (WHO) recommendations, the average lean body mass for a 20-year-old person is about 65.6 kg and 69.2 kg for boys and girls, respectively.
What is the average weight of an 18 year old female with a 25% lean body mass?
An 18-year-old female with a 25% lean body mass would be about 68.8 kg, according to the World Health Organization’s (WHO) recommendations.
How many calories should someone eat per day to maintain their weight?
The answer is, it varies from person to person. Factors that affect how many calories a person needs for weight maintenance include their height, weight, age, gender, and daily physical activity levels. The general recommendation for people hoping to maintain their current weight is to eat around 30-35 calories per day per pound of body weight.
At 40 years old, with a 16% lean body mass and 40 g of protein per day, how many grams of protein do you need?
A person at 40 years old needs 0.43 grams of protein per day for each kilogram of their body weight. For example, a person with 4 kilograms of weight has 4 x 0.43 = 1.28 grams of protein that they need for the day in order to meet their daily requirements
How much muscle can I build in one year if I eat 5000 calories per day and have 65% lean body mass?
The number of protein grams you need per day depends on your lean muscle mass. A general rule of thumb is 18-25 grams per day for most adults, which equates to about .55g-1.2g protein per kilogram (2.2 lbs) of body weight, so a 175lb person would need between 6400 and 11000 calories worth of protein per day to maintain muscle mass.
What percentage of their weight is fat for someone weighing 140 pounds with 95% Lean Body Mass?
If you are interested in finding the percentage of fat for someone weighing 140 pounds with 95% Lean Body Mass, they would weigh about 100.8 pounds and have about 14.15% body fat.
How do I compute my lean body mass?
Basically, when you minus the weight coming from fat (the percentage of fat in your body) from your overall weight, you will get your lean body mass.
What is a good lean body mass percentage?
Lean body mass or weight is computed as the difference between the total body weight and body fat weight. In other words, it is the weight of your overall body without the fat. Body lean mass is considered healthy if it is around 60 – 90% of your body weight. If a woman has a percentage of lean body mass under 68 percent, it is not healthy, and it is unhealthy for a man with less than 75 percent of lean body mass.
What is my maximum lean body mass?
Maximum lean body mass = (your height in inches – 70) x 5 + 160
That is the maximum lean body mass you can spontaneously achieve. To calculate your total weight, simply compute how much fat percentage you want to have on your body with the maximum lean body mass level.
What is the meaning of a lean body?
Basically, lean body mass is the overall weight of the body that subtracts the body fat (storage lipid).
Is a high lean body mass good?
A high proportion of lean body mass will promote your metabolism, making it much easier to keep an overall healthy weight. What’s more, a high percentage of lean mass can minimize inflammation.
Why is lean body mass substantial?
The higher the level of lean body mass (LBM) you have, the greater your basal metabolic rate is. In other words, people with greater amounts of LBM tend to spend more energy while doing nothing. This way, it can help your calories imbalance, which then will turn into obesity.
What is the suitable ratio of fat to lean mass?
It is ideal for men to get 3 percent of essential body fat and 12 percent for women. Nevertheless, to have the best health, the percentage of body fat should be between 10-18% for men and 15-23% for women. When the ratio of body fat to lean tissue is too high, or you are getting over-fat, the chance you get the chronic disease is higher.
Is it better to be lean or muscular?
It is better to get strong first, then lean later.
Accordingly, having more muscle offers a much greater return on investment than just losing body fat. As you gain muscle strength, it will become far easier to lose body fat afterward.
How do you gain lean muscle?
There are many different ways to gain lean muscle. Below are some practical and effective ways to follow:
- Never skip breakfast
- Divide your meals and eat every three hours
- Don’t forget to eat protein in every meal
- Add fruit and vegetables to your diet
- Eat carbs only after exercising
- Healthy fats are also good for your muscle
- Drink enough water
- Eat whole foods most of your time
Is being lean healthy?
Those who have leaner bodies tend to be stronger, healthier, more flexible. They can also stand up to injury better and have faster heart condition recovery times than individuals with energetic lifestyles but have higher body fat percentages.
What’s a skinny fat person?
Skinny fat is a term used to indicate people who have normal weights and BMI for their heights. However, they have more body fat percentage and don’t have enough muscle mass that is suggested for ideal health.
What does lean muscle mass mean?
Basically, it is the amount of muscle making up your body structure or composition. For example, you might see 2 people who look pretty similar from the outside or have the same weight. However, when calculating their muscle mass, one might have a much greater muscle mass than the other.
What is a lean body type?
Usually, people are born with a genetic body type based on bone frames and body composition. There are three main major body types, including ectomorph, endomorph, and mesomorph. Most individuals are special combinations of those types. Accordingly, lean body type tends to be the ectomorph group because they are long and lean, with a small amount of body fat.
What is lean body mass made of?
To put it simply, lean body mass is made of everything, excluding fat. This composition contains skeletons or bones, muscles, organs, ligaments, fluids, and tendons.
What is the best exercise for a lean body?
Some of the best exercises for a lean body are crunches, side planks, and mountain climbers. These physical training sessions can help increase your heart rate and offer a dose of cardio, typically if you perform them as a part of HIIT workouts.
How do I build lean muscle without bulking up?
Some good exercises you can consider are yoga, pilates, running, and even weight training. You can combine two, three, or more of those exercises to get muscle mass without bulking up. Remember that cardio is a must for the body to remove excess fat. Simultaneously, you should do weight training to build your muscles.