The brake cable is a kind of wear and tear. After a period of use, we need to maintain it. In this article, we will teach you how to install bike brakes.
- Step 1: Adjust the fine change screw to connect the gap on the micro screw with the gap on the brake lever.
- Step 2: Squeeze the bicycle brake lever.
- Step 3: Insert the hammer of the brake cable into the corresponding cable hole in the brake lever and clamp it tight.
- Step 4: The state after the hammer of the brake cable is locked.
- Step 5: Pass the brake cable through the tube and tighten it and fix it on the brake.
- Step 6: Then, after precise debugging, everyone can ride safely.
Table of Contents
How to Install Bike Brakes
Bicycle brakes are part of the function to slow down the vehicle when the hybrid bike is moving. It helps the bike stop or avoids obstacles on the road. There are many types of bicycle brakes. But bicycle brakes will comprise two components:
- Signal transmission components: chain of slugs, bar, brake cable, hydraulic hose.
- Pedal if the vehicle is a fixed gear in reverse or the brake levers
The self-braking mechanism is often available, using a clamp. It is close to the rim of the wheel that helps create excellent friction to prevent the dynamics of the vehicle.
The general disc brake has an arrow, and the direction of the arrow is the front of the bike. For the screw, just use the screw to lock it. There is also a central locking disc. It depends on whether your hub matches.
The hand junction handlebar is a fulcrum and from the fulcrum to the power and resistance of the make section perpendicular line of action, the respective arm.
Step 1: With the hexagonal wrench, you can unscrew the screws fixing the sleeve. Get the sleeve out from the handlebar if we may directly force no screw in the sleeve out.
Step 2: Use the hexagonal wrench to loosen the fixing screws of the finger dial. Then pull the finger dial from the handlebar.
Step 3: With a solid hexagon spanner, the Matsubara vehicle brake handle set screw is ideal to withdraw from the brake lever on the handlebar.
Step 4: For the original truck brake, remove the brake line on the handle.
Step 5: Install the brake cable to the new brake handle and v-brake.
Step 6: The brake handle penetrates the handlebar. Then adjust that we can lock the whole brake into place.
Step 7: Reinstall the finger dial and grip cover in order and lock them.
You can follow the instructions of this YouTube video for the most accurate method.
Graphic Method of Bicycle Brake Installation
Friction is a popular phenomenon. Friction is famous in many places in our lives. For example, bicycle brakes come by friction, while friction also comes from bike brakes. The principle of brakes for bicycles and cars is the same. Let us discuss it together!
First, we need to understand what friction is. When two objects in contact with each other move or tend to relative movement, the force that hinders the relative movement. Otherwise, the tendency of relative movement will be generated on the contact surface. It is friction. People divided the friction force into static friction force and sliding friction force for force calculation.
The brakes of many types of bicycles are realized by using rubbers fixed on the frame to apply friction to the wheels. The principle of bicycle brakes is that the translational speed of the wheels is proportional to the angular speed of rotation during the rotation of the wheels. The wheels are in rubber friction during the braking process.
The angular velocity is reduced. When the translational speed is greater than the rotational angular speed, the contact point will tend to slip, causing backward friction and reducing the translational speed. With the existence of the bicycle brake system, we can freely control the bicycle.
The friction of the ground accomplishes bicycle deceleration acting on the wheels. So how does the car brake? Because the car brakes need to stop in a short time or it reduces the speed to facilitate control, the car’s braking system is more complicated.
The process of car braking is the driver steps on the brake pedal. The main hydraulic cylinder installed under the hood directly connects with the brake pedal and converts the driver’s pedaling force into hydraulic pressure. We can install the main hydraulic cylinder on the wheels through the brake pipeline.
When the hydraulic cylinder is connected, it fills the entire system with brake fluid. The hydraulic cylinder pushes the brake shoe into contact with the brake drum or wheel axle. It will generate friction to slow the vehicle. We can divide automobile friction brakes into drum brakes and disc brakes.
According to the analysis of the brake principles of bicycles, we can know that the brake principles of bicycles and cars are the same. They are all realized by the friction force of the ground acting on the wheels, but the speed and weight of bicycles and cars are different.
So, the structure of the brake system will be different. Although both bicycles and cars have brake systems, do not drive too fast. Otherwise, the effect of brake failure may occur during emergency braking, which is prone to danger.
How to Install Caliper Brakes on Bicycle
Brake caliper removal
- Remove the two fixing bolts on the brake caliper. A screw lock agent may be used, so use a spinner handle to remove it. If the brake disc is not worn, such as in a new car, if you remove the caliper fixing bolt, it will fall off and the wheel may be damaged, so remove the fixing bolt while holding the brake caliper.
- Push the caliper piston back slightly toward the wheel: This makes it easy to remove the brake caliper even with worn brake discs.
- Cover the brake caliper with a waste cloth and remove it: By covering with a waste cloth, you can prevent the wheel from being scratched and the paint from peeling off.
- Hang the brake caliper to reduce the load on the brake hose: attach a cable tie and S-shaped hook to the front stand and hang it. The JTRIP front stand comes with the product at the time of purchase.
Apply tap dies
Brake caliper fixing bolts may contain screw locks. Since the screw lock agent adheres to the thread, the bolt may loosen because it does not reach the set torque. If screw lock agents are ideal, tap the bolts and female screws.
Brake caliper installation
- Cover the brake caliper with a waste cloth and attach it. By covering it with a waste cloth, you can prevent the wheel from being scratched and the paint from peeling off.
- Temporarily fix the brake caliper fixing bolt. Just lightly tighten it by hand.
- After the brake lever feels back, apply it a few more times. Then, tighten it to the specified torque while grasping the brake lever. At first, the brake lever does not feel like it. But if you hold it a few times, it will return to its original feel.
- By activating the brake, the positions of the brake pads and brake discs are corrected. We can expect the feeling of the brake to improve. For some models such as BMW, the feel of the brake lever cannot be restored unless we start the engine.
- Make sure the brake fluid is up to the upper level. If it is below the upper level, replenish it to the upper one. Let’s replenish from lower to upper, not from the middle position. Grasp the brake and check again that the brake is available.
- When removing the brake caliper, push it toward the wheel and protect it with a waste cloth to remove it. After removing the brake caliper, hang the brake caliper.
When installing the brake caliper, after the brake lever feels back, apply it a few more times and then tighten it to the specified torque while grasping the brake lever. After installing the brake caliper, grasp the brake lever and check if the brake works.
How to Install Bicycle Brake Cables
The bicycle brake cable installation method is as below.
Step 1: First buy a qualified brake cable from more great popular bikes in 2021
Step 2: Use an inner hexagonal wrench to loosen the brake cable locking screw on the front brake assembly counterclockwise.
Step 3: Hold the brake lever and remove the entire brake cable from the brake lever.
Step 4: Insert the new brake cable into the brake cable tube and put the end of the brake cable into the end seat of the brake lever.
Step 5: From the cable Straighten the brake cable at the end of the tube, pass the brake cable into the brake cable locking screw of the brake assembly. Then lock it with an inner hexagonal wrench.
Bike Brake Assembly Instructions
Step 1: The first purchase is to buy an acceptable quality brake line.
Step 2: Use six inner sides of the brake line on the front brake lever to assemble counterclockwise unscrew locking screws.
Step 3: Use the brake lever to take the entire brake cable.
Step 4: Insert the new brake cable into the brake cable tube. Then, put the thread end of the brake cable into the thread end seat of the brake handle.
Step 5: From the line end of the tube straightened brake line, assembly within locking screws using a hexagonal spanner lock tight.
When I started running, I was impatient because I did not feel the brake lever. What should I do?
After removing the brake caliper, we return the piston to the brake caliper side. Be sure to hold the brake lever after work until the brakes are activated.
Why push the brake caliper back?
If the brake disc is worn, only the outside and inside of the brake disc will not hit the brake pads and will be piled up as shown in the image above. In this state, the brake caliper is caught in the undamaged pile of the brake disc and cannot be removed, so push the caliper piston back.
The amount of push-back of the caliper piston should be small. But it is enough to overcome this mountain, you can choose more great mountain bikes here. If you push it back too much, dirt on the caliper piston may get in between the seals and cause a decrease in feeling. So be careful!
There was a video measuring the brake disc with a caliper. But is that measurement method wrong?
Unfortunately, brake discs cannot be measured with calipers. Normally, a tool called a micrometer is used to judge the continuation of use by referring to the numerical value (marked with MIN) stamped on the brake disc.
Ideally, the brake discs should be replaced every time we replace the brake pads. However, since it is rare for the owner to replace it so frequently, it will be replaced after checking the condition of the brake disc.
Is it not good to apply universal grease to the slide pins instead of silicone grease?
There is no problem if it is compatible with rubber. Since the boots are available in rubber, apply basic silicone grease to the grease that comes with the rubber.
It improves the feeling when the brake lever is attached while grasping it. How does the feeling improve?
The response when applying the brakes may improve slightly. When a brake pad is attached to a worn brake disc, when the brake is braked, the brake pad deforms and is pressed against the brake disc.
The outside and inside of the brake disc will not wear and will remain at the new thickness. But it will rise smoothly to that thickness in a curved line. For the brake disc that draws the curve, we will guide you to the optimum position for the brake pad with a little play of the caliper fixing bolt and the bracket brake caliper. The work of guiding is the work of gripping the brake lever. There is no dramatic effect.