Having bought a pair, you find that the new shoes or boots are a little too big. What to do in this case? How to make shoes smaller?
14 Ways to Make Shoes Smaller
Your shoes are too big and you’re embarrassed to wear them.
It’s not just that your feet hurt, it’s that they look like clown shoes! You can’t stand the thought of people looking at your feet when you walk past them.
Luckily there are many ways to make your shoes smaller without having to go through the hassle of returning them or buying new ones. Here are 14 hacks for making your shoes fit better in no time!
1. Replace your Insoles
For all proud shoe owners who may not fit great, they should make friends and get acquainted with new shoe insoles in the shortest time. Wearing new insoles can reduce the length of your foot and improve your posture. The first step you need to undertake is removing shoe insoles.
2. Choose Thicker Socks and Stuff Your Toe Area
Double socks and they will fill in the available space in your shoes, avoiding your nightmare of big-shoe issues. They will make your shoes smaller and more comfortable.
3. Shrink Your Shoes Into Water
It follows a simple and easy principle that wetted shoes dried by the air may result in the shrinking phenomenon to be exploited in several years. This is the best way to reduce shoes, which needs little time and effort.
4. Stitch the Elastic Band Right Inside Your Shoe
It is an excellent option for all insoles as heel protectors. They are elements that, as the name implies, protect the heels. It attaches the items behind the foot when the shoes are too long. We can choose between gel and leather ones.
5. Bring your Shoes to one Professional Cobbler
In the case that you do not have any DIY skills, the professionals can help you to make your treasured and expensive shoe smaller. They will be able to resize your shoes without damaging them.
7. Ball of Foot Cushions (Half Insoles)
A ball of foot cushion (also known as half insole) is a thin, flexible pad that goes inside the shoe to cover the ball of the foot. It is usually made of foam or rubber. A ball of foot cushion provides extra thickness under the ball of your foot where it’s needed without extending your shoes. With this type of product, you don’t need to reduce the length of your shoe by cutting out material like you would with an insert. Ball of foot cushions are also very useful for people who have problems with their toes rubbing together because they will provide extra space between them.
8. Heel Liners for Shoes
Heel liners are defined as an insert that insulates your heels and protects them. These types of inserts may be made of leather or gel. The goal is to help you with the problem of shoes being too long by adding a size to your shoes without making you uncomfortable.
They provide extra protection to the heel area, which needs more attention when purchasing a shoe. This is because many times we may neglect this area and it becomes injured during use. They also add length, which is perfect if you have a foot that is on the small side and needs some extra inches.
9. Full-Size Insoles
Getting your shoes smaller with full-size insoles is a great way to solve the problem of big-shoe issues. They will reduce the length of your shoe without sacrificing comfort. A full-size insole for your shoes will provide more comfort and give it a better fit by filling up any empty space left inside of it.
The cost can vary depending on the quality and type of product you get, but they’re usually available anywhere from $10-$70. And while this option requires a little more money than some other things on this list, it’s well worth it if you
10. Toe Inserts for Shoes that are too Big
One way to make shoes smaller with toe inserts for shoes that are too big is by cutting the front of the shoe, making sure not to cut past where your toes start. Then, pull the insert through the hole so it forms a triangular shape. Next, hold the sides of the insert in place while you hand-stitch them together. Repeat this process on both sides of the front of the shoe, then trim off the excess material around both sides.
11. Shoe Tongue Pads
A Shoe Tongue Pad is a type of insert that can be inserted inside the shoe for it to fit better. They are usually made of rubber and they come in different thicknesses, providing extra space or support where necessary. The goal is to provide comfort and reduce pressure on various areas of the foot.
12. Socks & Footies
Socks are the best way to make shoes smaller if they are too big. You can bring your shoes to any shoe store and ask for a half size down, which is only a 1/4 inch difference. Socks can provide extra space in your shoe without making it feel too tight. You should be able to buy these at any store that sells clothing or socks.
Footies are similar to socks but they are made of thin fabric that has elastic around the top where you put your feet into them. They are very stretchy so it makes them easier to put on your feet! They will also give you extra room in your shoes without fitting too tightly because of the elasticity.
13. Getting a Cobbler to Make Shoes Smaller
Cobbler is a type of footwear repair shop where the shoes are repaired by hand. You can take your shoes to a cobbler and they may be able to cut off some material from the front, back, or top of the shoe to make them smaller. It requires much more time and effort than other solutions like getting a new pair or buying insoles, but you will save money in the long run because it’s cheaper and you don’t need to replace your shoes as often.
You can also use a cobbler to get shoe stretchers, which you place inside your shoes overnight to stretch them out. This will help make shoes smaller because the material will become more flexible and stretched out.
14. Tubing or Sock Balloon Trick
This is one of the best tricks to make shoes smaller with tubing (or sock balloons) when they are too big. Simply insert two pieces of tissue paper in your shoes before putting your feet in them, then inflate some tubing (for example, an inner tube from a bicycle tire). Once it’s in place, remove the tissue paper and let the tubing do its job! It’s important not to put too much pressure on it though, so make sure to also stuff the toe box with tissue paper. It should make your shoes fit like a glove.
See this video instruction in real time:
The Other Tips to Make Shoes Smaller
Did the shoes run out of your size as you did not have time to try them on? Or did your feet get shorter overnight? Any plausible excuse will not save you from the fact that you have bought shoes that are too big. And you cannot return them, but neither will you give them up. Here is how to make large shoes more comfortable and suitable for your foot.
Probably the easiest way to make pumps, slippers, lace-up shoes, or sneakers smaller. Insoles are available in a wide variety of materials and even with a fresh scent.
For different shapes and sizes, they reduce the size by giving stability and comfort to the sole. In the dancers and espadrilles then, they prevent sweating. As for heels, oversized mini gel shoe insoles are miraculous, invisible, and prevent the foot from sliding back and forth.
DIY Heel Pads
It is an unmistakable sign of shoes that are too big if you slip your heel out at the back. It is so easy to make a heel pad. All you need is a makeup sponge and double-sided tape to hold everything in place. And whoosh, the shoe is immediately smaller, and you avoid annoying blisters!
This tip is suitable for closed-toe and open-toe shoes such as mules. You cannot see cotton wool like that. You just stuff them in the very front of your shoe. After a few meters, the wadding adapts perfectly to the shape of your toes and you walk like on clouds.
For oversized leather shoes that have widened and lost their original shape, the solution is only one, entrust the large shoes to the shoemaker. By moisturizing the material, it will cause the skin to shrink and be as good as new.
It sounds macabre but works wonders! Just submerge the shoe in the water. It is better to spray shoes made of sensitive materials such as suede with water. Then, you just put them in the sun or under the heater and let them dry. The shoe material contracts and the shoe automatically becomes smaller.
Before using the shoe for the first time for a longer event, spray the inside completely with hairspray. Hairspray not only fixes the hair but also prevents the annoying sliding back and forth in the shoe.
The Most Comprehensive Solution
The first thing that comes to mind is to run to the store and replace the pair with a smaller one. This plan is workable if you have not put your shoes on yet. Put the shoes in a box, be sure to grab a check with you and request a replacement. If there are no defects or traces of socks, sellers should swap one pair for another with no problems. In case of bankruptcy, consult the management of the enterprise and remember the protection of consumer rights.
If this option does not suit you for any reason, try to reduce the shoes at home. Wet the shoes in boiling water and put them to dry at natural temperatures. Do not expose wet shoes to bright sun or radiators. It will cause irreparable damage.
Do not soak and dry patent leather shoes this way. This method is suitable for leather shoes. Keep in mind that after the shoes have dried, they need to be well lubricated with the cream. It will be enough for a while and the skin will stretch. And you will have to repeat the procedure.
To reduce shoes, you can use various insoles. So, in winter, the boots for icy floor fit quality sheepskin insoles. Put them on top of the ones in the boots and immediately feel the leg getting much more comfortable. For autumn boots, the usual insoles are suitable. You can store in shoe departments and markets.
Besides, many special insoles are now available, placed only under the heel or toe and fastened with velcro. They raise the leg a few millimeters, creating a feeling of reduced size. The foot does not dangle inside, and the shoes do not fall off when walking. In large boots, you can pry up an extra warm toe.
How to Wear Big Shoes?
If the purchased pair of shoes turn out to be large, do not be upset, because there are so many methods that allow you to wear large shoes. Consider the most popular options.
Method 1: Wear thick socks
You can wear thick socks or double socks. It is the simplest method for wearing large shoes. So, you can replace thin silk socks with thick cotton ones. It is also possible that we can wear the socks on top of each other in the amount of two or three pairs.
The thicker the socks worn, the greater the likelihood of comfort in large shoes. This method is dominant for sports shoes and any work boots. In the warm season, this method is not very suitable.
Method 2: Use Tissue
To reduce the size of the shoe, you can put tissue paper, toilet paper, cotton wool, or other thin material in the shoe’s toe. It is a great option when the heel takes a soft position when walking. Virtually, this method can be useful anywhere.
It is a good option for heels if a closed toe is present. Also, boots and shoes with solid soles can reduce their size in this way. However, Long walks or sporting events are not suitable for this method since an intense load reduces the filler and causes inconvenience.
Method 3: Use Insole
You can use the insole. Under the standard, the length determines the size of the shoe and is expressed in centimeters. Using an additional insole solves the problem if the insole is 0.3-0.5 cm longer than the foot.
The insole is a soft insert in the shoes made of special gel or foam. The presence of the insole contributes to the cushioning process and the support of the foot while walking. Insoles are ideal not only for adjusting posture but also for wearing large shoes.
This option helps to reduce the size of any shoe. It is suitable for products with heels and in the presence of an open toe on the product. However, when you buy insoles, you need to test them to make sure they are comfortable.
Method 4: Use the Tabs
If the shoes are large, you can use the tabs that help lift the arch. If you choose solid insoles, wearing shoes will be uncomfortable. Small tabs are ideal for this case. They serve to fit under the arch of the foot lift. The presence of these tabs is imperceptibly used for shoes with heels or wide soles. However, there are tabs of different colors. So, you can choose the tab for the shade of the shoe.
Method 5: Using Heel Strips
The option of using heel strips is possible. With enormous size, you can attach the strips with a special pad on an uncomfortable heel of the shoe. This method helps to wear large shoes. We can glue the strips not only on the heel area but also in another place in large shoes. This method is available with any shoe option, especially for a stiff heel. However, before buying, you need to test special strips, as they can rub your feet.
Method 6: Water Impact
If you want to solve the problem of a large shoe for a longer period and simple methods do not fit, you can use more complex options. For this process, wet the shoes, then dry them. If we do this procedure correctly, we can achieve excellent results. There is always a risk of damage to the shoes, so you need to re-read the shoe service label.
To wet shoes from suede or leather, you need to apply a spray. We can simply put any other shoe option in the water. Shoes should dry on a balcony or other open area. If it is not possible, a hair dryer can be available. An appliance should not be dried at a short distance from the shoes, as there is a risk of damaging some materials of the product.
After completing the drying procedure, you need to put on these shoes. If the shoes are still large, we must repeat this process several times. For the shoes not to become small in the last result, it is necessary to carry out the procedure of drying the feet so that the shoes are of a suitable size. We can treat shoes made of leather or suede with a special conditioner that must be purchased in shoe stores.
Method 7: Elastic Band
By using a needle and thread, you can use a tight elastic to tighten the shoe material. It will reduce the size. If the shoes are large, you need to do the following steps:
- Stretch the elastic inside the shoe and fasten it with pins.
- Continue stretching the elastic, then sew it. Usually sewn on the back of the boot, but it is possible in any other place.
- We release the elastic. It contracts and tightens the heel area of the boot.
We can also apply this method to one of the listed methods. If you cannot solve this problem by yourself, you can contact the shoe store. Since the services of a professional craft worker are not cheap, this option can be if you have good quality shoes.
Tips to Wear Large Shoes
For wearing large shoes, you need to remember a few simple rules:
- Try to maintain posture. If using the above methods, it was possible to change shoes from a larger size to a smaller one. But walking can cause posture problems. Because the size is small from the inside, the shoes are still big on the outside. So, you need to monitor your posture.
- When walking, you need to straighten your shoulders and lift your head. It is always advisable to look directly.
- When you walk, roll from heel to toe. It is necessary to move from the heel, then move to the base of the foot after we push it off the ground.
- When walking, it is necessary to maximize tension on the gluteal and abdominal muscles. They help straighten the spine and keep it upright.
- Be careful not to take anything. When buying large shoes, you need to understand that it is more spacious than the usual version of shoes. Therefore, taking steps, it is necessary to raise the legs much higher than in the usual case. If you do not adhere to this condition, then there is a risk of tripping or you can hit a stone lying on the road or another object.
- Try not to wear oversized shoes for long walks. Even when using the above methods, if one of them fits, wearing such shoes will not be as comfortable as with a suitable size. If you have a long way or a long journey, it is best not to wear large shoes, as corns or other injuries may form. There is a risk of injury. So, playing sports in big shoes, the ankle constantly suffers inconvenience and is often injured.
- If the shoes are too big, it is better to abandon them. All the above methods are suitable for shoes when they are not much larger than the normal size. If the shoes are chosen incorrectly and are too big for one or two sizes, it is difficult to put them on and all the tricks can be inconclusive. Therefore, take care of your feet and do not hurt them.
- It is best to buy an extra pair of suitable shoes. In extreme cases, you can use the old worn pair, rather than wearing a new one, but not its size. When buying shoes, you need to try them on carefully. It is better to understand that shoes are great in a shoe store than to discover such a flaw at home.
- Some shoe models have straps in the heel and ankle area. On sandals, high-heeled shoes, sneakers, such straps allow you to adjust the shoes to the required fullness of the leg. Also, discover many interesting ideas, how to update your favorite shoes.
Other Wearing Shoes Tips
The journey of many days to the shoe shops is over. Finally, the shoes were selected for design, heel height, and workmanship. But time passes and a serious problem arises as shoes that look perfect on the foot have become a little bit.
To avoid this kind of trouble, you need to choose shoes correctly. For the shoes not to be large, it is necessary to adhere to such recommendations:
- Impeccably selected shoes help present oneself correctly and emphasize the positive sides in every microclimate and every circumstance. It is imperative to try on your favorite standing model. Next, you need to walk on a hard surface and not on the carpet. This procedure allows you to navigate how comfortable and comfortable it is to be in the selected shoes.
- It is preferable to buy shoes in the afternoon. In the evening, even in the healthiest legs, there is a process accompanied by swelling. Therefore, if the shoes are bought in the evening, then in the morning the shoes are too big. Or the new thing that was done in the morning towards the evening becomes small. Since it swells the legs, they do not fit in the shoes.
- It is necessary to pay attention to the position of the fingers. In shoes, they should be free to move easily and move without hindrance. A narrow pad causes the thumb to bend. It is a physical defect that in the future is very difficult to correct. Besides, with an incorrect load on the surface of the foot, complex diseases arise that are characterized by inflammatory processes of the ankle and knee joints. When choosing shoes made of genuine leather, it is necessary to consider not only the size but also the shape of the foot.
- Bulky shoes can also be harmful. With an unnecessary and indecent load on the legs, varicose veins develop. As a result, leg swelling progresses, causing negative changes in posture, gait, appearance, and moods.
- Shoes with a rounded toe contribute to a visual reduction in the foot’s size. In the presence of a sharp and elongated sock, the leg visually increases.
- High-heeled models are characterized by elongation of the legs and become thinner.
- The heel protectors are an ideal filling. These accessories can be up to 1 cm thick. Besides, they protect the heels from abrasion very well. To avoid too-large shoes in the future, you need to choose the right size in terms of length, width, fit, and height. We can measure at home.
- If there is a complex where the girl does not like legs very much. Then, when choosing shoes, she should abandon the use of bright colors.
- Owners of a full set should not wear shoes with thin heels, as it is unable to withstand the load and break at the most undesirable moment. It will lead to injuries in the event of a fall.
- If the shoes have ankle straps, this option is preferable for women with thin legs. Be sure to inspect the entire product. Toe and heel should have supple and supple skin. There must be arch support under the insole. To check this, just fold the sole.
- It is necessary to give preference to products made from natural materials. It is such shoes that are comfortable. And various diseases do not occur in such shoes.
- In the summer, it is preferable to wear open shoe options, so that there is no excessive sweating. For the summer, you can buy a new thing that has a cork, wood, or leather sole. The presence of natural materials allows shoes to be breathable. It causes a beneficial effect not only on the health of the legs but also on the whole human body.
When is the shoe too big?
As soon as feet slip in the shoe, the shoes are too big. By the way, insoles rarely help. Because these make the shoe flatter, not shorter.
How to make a shoe smaller?
With the change pads, this method is simple. We place these foam pads at the front of the shoe so that your feet better fill the space. They come in different sizes: 1/4, 1/2, or 1 full size.
Can I make shoes that are too big?
You can also easily make your heel pads for shoes that are too big. To do this, stick small make-up sponges to the inside of the shoes with adhesive tape. It makes the shoe smaller without causing uncomfortable rubbing at the back. We glue them into the shoe so that it feels a little smaller.
How to relax in tight shoes?
To widen new shoes, fill two freezer bags with water, place them in your shoes, wrap everything in a large bag, and put them in the freezer overnight. The cold will turn the water into ice, which will harden and exert pressure. Remove the bag the next day and dry your shoes with a paper towel.
How to widen my synthetic shoes?
Put on an enormous pair of ski socks, slip your feet into your new boots, and watch a movie as they soften. Gone with the Wind or Le Grand Bleu, long versions are perfect. With paper moistened newspaper, stuff the pair and wait 24 hours before they put it on.
Do shoes get smaller when I wash them?
No, of course. Shoes do not get smaller if you wash them with scorching water.
How much can shoes be too big?
Because the toes when walking forward push forward with sufficient space to be. The German Shoe Institute recommends adding 12 to 15 millimeters (mm).