Trek began in 1976 in a modest Wisconsin barn, but its founders always envisioned something more. They are still on a mission to make our world a better place to live and ride after 44 years. Trek Bicycle Company now makes and sells bikes and cycling supplies under 4 brands including Trek, Electra Bicycle Company, Bontrager, and Trek Travel. Its headquarters are in Waterloo, Wisconsin. However, Trek bicycles are made in Netherlands, Germany, Taiwan, and China.
820 Mountain Bike is one of Trek’s best sellers. On its official website, the bike is scored 4.5 out of 5 stars. According to the manufacturer’s survey, 95% of customers said that they would be happy to suggest this bike to others.
- The Trek 820 Mountain Bike is a flexible bike that is suitable for a wide range of riders, including both novice and expert riders.
- The bike’s lightweight aluminum frame makes it easy to move and manage on the trails.
- On rocky terrain, the front suspension fork absorbs shock and gives a smooth ride.
- Shimano components on the Trek 820 ensure a smooth and pleasurable ride by providing reliable and efficient shifting.
- The bike is outfitted with strong V-brakes that provide good stopping power in all situations.
- The Trek 820’s Bontrager tires provide outstanding traction and stability, making it comfortable to ride on a variety of conditions.
- The bike has a comfortable saddle and ergonomic grips, which serve to prevent fatigue and provide a pleasant riding experience.
- The Trek 820 is available in a range of sizes, allowing riders of different heights and sizes to choose the best bike for them.
- The bike is highly customisable, with a wide range of aftermarket components and accessories available to tailor it to your individual requirements.
- Overall, the Trek 820 Mountain Bike is a dependable, long-lasting, and adaptable bike that is ideal for riders who like to explore the trails and test their boundaries.
Do you want to get started in the world of off-roading or are you looking for an economical mountain bike? This Trek 820 is excellent for novices who want to get into mountain biking but also want a hybrid bicycle that can handle both light trails and unpaved roads in the city.
Trek 820 Mountain Bike Overview
For more information here: https://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/820/f/F324/
- Road to Trail Mobility: The 820 is ready to ride on bumpy roads, mild trails, or both thanks to its durable and wide tires, suspension fork, and sturdy steel frame. It also includes numerous mounts for attachments such as a rack, fenders, lighting, a kickstand, and other items.
- Dependable mountain bike components: The suspension fork of the reliable mountain bike components 820 takes the edge off the rocky ground, while the 21-speed gearbox makes it simple to pick the appropriate gear for effective riding. Alloy hubs and rims are lightweight and resilient, enabling the bike to handle different terrains.
- The 820 Women’s has the same trail-tough components and adaptable features as the mainline version, plus a step-through chassis that’s simpler to mount and a women’s-specific saddle.
|Frame material||Trek Custom Steel, rack mounts, 135x5mm QR|
|Fork||SR Suntour M-3030, coil spring, 100x5mm QR, 75mm travel|
|Shifter||Shimano Tourney EF41, 7 speed|
|Pedal||VP-536 nylon platform|
|Brake||Tektro alloy linear-pull|
|Weight||ML – 15.28 kg / 33.68 lbs (with tubes)|
|Weight limit||300 pounds (136 kg)|
With a limited budget of around $500, I wanted to give it a try before investing in a high-priced model. At the time, I planned to ride mainly around the city, sometimes off-road. I would like a bike with a Starter-friendly design, low cost, and flexibility on terrains. And that’s how Trek 820 Mountain Bike comes in handy!
The Trek 820 mountain bike is an outstanding entry-level model that has just enough of a pro vibe to give riders a good impression of what off-roading is like without becoming prohibitively pricey. The bike design is a mix between a road and an off-road bike, so it would meet my needs.
As far as I know, good hybrid bikes cost between $500 and $1,000, and this bike is only over $450. This is much budget-friendly than other models and it was suitable for my budget.
Ability to handle basic terrain
This model comes standard with Shimano 377 drivetrain, big tires, large bars, and upright pedaling position. Its shifters and derailleurs are from Shimano Tourney brand, a famous Japanese company. Thanks to all those characterisitcs, the bike enables me to maneuver smoothly and exactly, as well as adjust speed for different terrains such as flat roads, gentle hills, all except the hardest high slopes.
- Affordability: This is a bike that isn’t much more costly than department store cycles, but it eliminates the looseness, creaking, and shaking that so often accompany low-cost bikes. It’s nearly impossible to find a decent bike like this model for the same budget.
- Durable frame: For starters, the 820 bicycle is built of a special stainless steel chassis that is both sturdy and strong. This allows riders to go on long and intense rides without wondering about the bike’s adaptability. Being paired with SR Suntour M-3030, coil spring, 100x5mm QR, 75mm travel fork, the bike’s frame becomes highly adaptive on any terrain.
- Good Geometry: If you’re a beginner user, the bike geometry can be either a challenge or an enabler. Trek 820 Mountain Bike geometry is a steep and classic one. Its front wheel is mounted under the handlebars. Unlike slack geometry which might make the front wander on mountain terrain, this traditional one ensures stability on both flat surfaces and steep hills.
- Flexibility on terrains: As a hybrid bike, it can be used as a city commuter, an errand bike, or a workout bicycle. Though it is not as fast as a pro bike, its frame, suspension, and geometry make it solid, steady, and pleasant. These all allow for easy riding on and off road.
- Sturdy and solid suspension system: As a hardtail, the 820 features no rear suspension. However, its front suspension system works great. The suspension fork on the 820, which is made by SR Suntour – a leading Japanese manufacturer, takes the sting out of harsh terrain.
- Various choices of size: Most starter adult enduro bikes are available in only two or three frame sizes, making it sometimes challenging to find the best fit. The 820 comes in 6 frame sizes, and a detailed size chart based on riders’ height. This makes it much more simple to get the 820 that’s ideal for any size or shape.
- Poor tires: Trek 820 Mountain Bike is a hybrid model that aims to bridge the gap between two bike types. If you want to ride off-road, this is not the best option. Because the tires are not designed for particularly tough conditions, you may feel upset with them in the future.
- Heavy frame: If you are expecting a race, 33.68 lbs is still considered a bit on the hefty side. It’s also worth noting that if you walk yourself and carry your bike through a section of a trail that isn’t appropriate for riding, this will be your burden.
- Uncomfortable seat: Many customers reviewed that the seat is not comfy enough. This can be a disadvantage during long trips, as it might result in inconvenience and back hurt. Therefore, it is suggested that riders should replace it or, at the absolute least, purchase a padded cushion that brings a lot more softness.
If you are torn between Trek and Specialized, consider checking out the Trek vs Specialized Mountain Bikes comparison for a better idea about which one is a better fit for you. Trek 820 offers superior stability and comfort while riding in trails or on rough roads.
Buying Guide For Trek 820 Mountain Bike
The bike’s frame is made of Trek Custom Steel, rack mounts, 135x5mm QR. The steel means that it’s heavy, sturdy but not too pricey. The chassis also boasts a sleek design, flawless welds, and high-quality treatment and painting. Although it’s not lightweight enough to be carried around, you will not have to worry about its durability at all! It’s quite strong and will not wear out for years to come. There’s also plenty of room on the chassis for a water bottle holder, a fitness tracker, and other accessories.
The Seatpost of Trek 820 Mountain Bike is made of Bontrager alloy and has 3 sizes. The Bontrager SSR saddle adds comfort to your seat and riding experience. However, many customers have reviewed that they find the seat is a little bit uncomfortable for them to ride in a long time. And they had to upgrade to a larger, more cushioned saddle.
SR Suntour, a leading Japanese maker of low to mid-end suspension, equips the 820 with a standard coil spring suspension fork. The travel is 75mm (3 inches), which is somewhat low compared to modern standards but sufficient to absorb the impact of bumpy roads, curb drops, and minor root-and-rock trail chatter. The front wheel may go up and down over obstacles thanks to the shock-absorbing suspension, while the handlebars are kept stable for a smooth, balanced ride.
Shimano Tourney EF41, 7 speed comes standard on the Trek 820, allowing riders to modify their speed on the go. Besides, the shifters are also supported by Shimano Tourney TY500, 31.8mm clamp, top swing, dual pull Front derailleur and Shimano Tourney TY300, long cage, 34T max cog Back derailleur. The combination helps boost performance capabilities, allowing riders to tackle most routes with ease.
This 820 Mountain Bike comes with Tektro alloy linear-pull brakes. This is a classic braking system, while high-end bikes have upgraded to disc brakes. However, the alloy linear-pull brakes still work and have been put to good use for quite a long time. In really wet or slippery situations, disc brakes will work better, but Trek 820 brakes with fast stopping power will successfully pause you and manage your pace.
Luggage racks and other accessories can be mounted to the 820 bikes via a variety of mounting points. These points make your commuting on a bike much easier. As you may have to take a small to moderate pack while heading to work or rushing down the shops, the racks can help. Unlike pure mountain bikes, the 820 comes with an attached kickstand, making it work as an entry-level bikepacking cycle.
Bike Size and Fit
There are 6 sizes available for this model, which definitely fits riders of all sizes and shapes! The manufacturer also provides a size chart based on riders’ height on its website as a recommendation. However, it is also worth noticing that other parameters, such as arm and leg length, also play a role in determining a perfect match. As a result, you’ll see some overlap in their suggestions. For instance, not every person who is 5’8″ will ride comfortably with the same size bike. The best way to figure out your ideal bike size is to get advice from the local dealer.
Manufacturer & warranty information
All Trek bikes come with a warranty against failures in materials and production. A lifetime warranty is offered for frames. Other components, paint, and decals are guaranteed for 2 years. This policy is good enough compared to its price range. However, the wheels of Trek 820 Mountain Bike only feature 2-year maintenance due to the alloy rims (Wheels with carbon rims are guaranteed forever).
Is it possible for the frame to clear 2.4″ wide tires?
Unfortunately not. A minimum of 6mm of tire clearance is required, however, each one has its own limitations. According to the manufacturer, a 2.2″ tire is the maximum size, so you might need to lower down the size a little bit.
Is it possible for me to add disc brakes?
No. There are no disc brake mounts on this bike. This 820 Mountain Bike comes with Tektro alloy linear-pull brakes. It will perform well enough for a long time, under different riding conditions, so there’s also no need to add disc brakes.
Is the Trek 820 a suitable entry-level bike?
Yes. The Trek 820 is a budget-friendly starter mountain bike with a slew of important functions. For the cost, the model is an excellent choice for anyone wishing to try mountain biking on a powerful bicycle.
Is the bike worth the price?
The bike is worth it, somehow beyond its price tag. For example, it comes with premium components like Shimano Tourney derailleurs in the front and back, which give steady power that no other low-cost bikes might be capable of.
How many gears are there on the Trek 820 Mountain Bike?
The 820 features a sturdy steel frame, a dependable Shimano 21-speed gear, semi-slick tires that ride well on tarmac and hills, robust alloy wheels, and a suspension fork that dampens shocks.
How do I know which frame size to choose?
There’s a size chart provided by the manufacturer. You can use it as a recommendation. However if your feel that the height-based size guide is not enough and want to consider other factors, you can ask the local dealer.