Kent International Inc, situated in Parsippany, New Jersey, is a US bicycle company. Kent originates from the early 1900s when an expatriate to the United States named Abraham Kamler started refurbishing bikes in New York City. In 1909, Kamler established his own bike shop on the Lower East Side, which he later expanded to a larger site in Newark, New Jersey. Now it buys and sells bikes and cycling accessories all over the world. It was the second biggest bicycle maker in the USA in 2014.
Kent International Inc, owns 6 brands including Jeep Bikes, GMC Bikes, Razor Bikes, Little Miss Match, Cadillac, Margaritaville, and Genesis. Each brand has its own flagship product, and the Genesis is known for V2100 Mountain Bike. It is rated 4.8/5 on the official website and received quite a fair number of positive comments.
If you are a newbie in cycling who is looking for a budget-friendly bike, let’s consider this Genesis V2100 Mountain model! Its dual suspension enhances off-road performance and is popular for trail and leisure riding.
Genesis V2100 Mountain Bike Review
- The Genesis V2100 Mountain Bike features a 26-inch full suspension aluminum MTB frame. Thanks to its material and design, its frames offer some shock-absorbing capabilities to the bike.
- Its key features are a full suspension frame, a powerful braking system with a disc brake in the front and a linear-pull brake in the rear as well as the Shimano EF40 21 speed. This makes the bike work well enough as a mountain bike.
- The bike features fast-rolling tires on hills and on the street, with a perfect contact surface for reduced rolling resistance. There is no odd rattling of the rear suspension.
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)||70.00 x 24.50 x 40.50 Inches|
|Brakes||Front disc brake and rear linear-pull brake|
|Seat post||Alloy quick release seat post clamp|
|Weight Capacity||320 lbs|
|Frame||Alloy Full Suspension|
I was looking for a men bike that helps me keep fit and enjoy the outdoors, especially the mountains as I am in love with mountainous areas. My priority was something budget-friendly since I can only afford those below $300. When coming across this bike on the Walmart website, I immediately thought that this bike was an ideal fit. It is cheap, has dual suspension that enables trail riding, and the design is modern.
The bike comes with full suspension. This boosts the technology’s cutting edge and acceleration. The suspension has received no negative comments. The manufacturers have created a fantastic suspension at an affordable price. It makes it a much more comfy BMX bike when pedaling out on the bumpy trail.
Highly affordable price
This is the biggest reason for me to choose this one. It’s really hard to find a mountain bike with some good features at this price tag. The Genesis V2100 Mountain Bike has both front and rear suspensions, as well as high-quality Shimano derailleurs, unlike any other low-priced model.
The Genesis V2100 Mountain Bike is painted in black, so it looks high-quality and modern. It’s hard to tell that this bike only costs below $300 when looking at it. The frame is made of aluminum, so it does not look cheap at all!
- Low price: The Genesis V2100 Mountain Bike falls into a price range of $150-200, or it might even reach $99 in a sale-off season. This seems to be the lowest cost possible for a basic mountain bike, while others usually are priced from $500 to $1000.
- Suitable for entry-level riders: The bike is suitable for starters as there are only basic features and standard components. There is nothing difficult to deal with and it does not require the riders to learn a specific skill. The Genesis V2100 Mountain Bike is easy to handle.
- Durable aluminum frame: This model from Genesis comes with a strong and durable MTB chassis. The material for this is aluminum alloy, and it does not only add strength to the bike as a whole but also brings a lightweight feel.
- Good front disc brake: While many other inexpensive models only feature V brakes, this Genesis V2100 Mountain has a Promax disc brake installed in the front. Therefore, there will be no challenge in pausing the bike, despite the dirt or even rocky ground. Riders can easily maneuver and control the bike with an extremely low risk of accidents.
- Decent tires: On Genesis V2100, tires are 26” and its rims are 1.5” black alloy. The combination makes riding on bumpy, rough, rocky terrains all possible. You can also take tight corners without any difficulty.
- 21 Speed drivetrain: This enables riders to change gears easily when they are riding on different terrains such as roads, hills, or some bumpy areas. The Shimano drivetrain makes precision adjustment both on and off-road easier and more smooth.
- Easy-to-find replacement components: The bike features standard components such as linear-pull brakes or Shimano derailleurs. All of them can be found in any bike shop or if not, you can still make an online purchase.
- Easily jammed chain: It has been reviewed by some customers that chains of their bikes wear out easily after a while. This occurs even more frequently when they take more intense rides on tough terrains.
- Not so good pedals: The Genesis V2100’s pedals are plastics, so they are not so durable and might break down easily. This is also a problem raised by many V2100 Mountain Bike users. They said that they would prefer something higher quality, like aluminum pedals.
- Uncomfortable seat: The seat is quite hard and can not be easily modified for a better fit. This is a significant disadvantage when it comes to longer and more intense rides. However, it would be much better to use riding gloves and a gel seat cover.
Buying Guide for Genesis V2100 Mountain Bike
MTB Genesis v2100
Performance & Cost
The bike is worth its price tag. There are some great features that can be found in a mid-range bike such as a 21-speed drivetrain or a powerful braking system. In general, the bike is a good choice for those whose budget is just around $150-300.
If you afford to spend higher budget like 300 bucks for a mountain bike, you can check out the list of top 15 best mountain bikes under $300 on the link.
The framework is strong and long-lasting. It’s built of high-strength aluminum and is therefore fairly lightweight. The bike has good handling and is easy to handle. The full suspension frame is a critical aspect of this model. This Genesis V2100 mountain bike’s full suspension frame makes it durable for all types of riding, including off-road trail cycling, hill descent, and even hill climb.
Genesis V2100 Mountain Bike features a disc brake in the front and a V brake in the rear. The brakes work just fine, but having premium brakes at this pricing is impossible. Some customers might prefer disc brakes to be installed on both wheels, but that would result in a much higher cost. As things stand, we’re still blown away. The brakes are extremely sensitive and will bring riders a complete stop in a matter of seconds.
They are 27.5” in diameter and have good traction, so riders should be able to keep their grip on most terrain. It would be even better if the wheels were tubeless-ready, but for such a budget-friendly cost, the wheels are good enough.
It sports a Shimano EF40 21-speed transmission that seems suitable for this bicycle and is comfortable to use at this low cost. They perform well, and as riders progress, they still have unrestricted freedom. It has the ability to shift multiple gears in a single shift and is lightweight. Shifters are made high-quality and allow riders to make personal modifications.
Bike Size and Fit
There is only 1 option for color and size. Therefore, the bike should only work well for those in good size and shape. It is suggested by the manual that the bike can sustain a weight up to 320 lbs, so anyone under that weight can try this.
Manufacturer & warranty information
According to the Genesis website, its frame and forks are guaranteed for a lifetime, while the figure for carbon ones is only 5 years. For parts, the warranty period is varied. Most components have at least a 1-year warranty, and you can find more details by contacting the manufacturer.
Question 1: Is the bike lightweight?
The Genesis V2100 Mountain Bike has an aluminum frame, so it’s much more lightweight compared to the steel. However, it is not the most lightweight bike you might find, since there are other options such as carbon chassis. This model weighs 37 lbs, which is fair enough for a men bike.
Question 2: Can I modify the seat?
Yes. Although the seat is not really comfy for a long ride, it can be adjusted vertically, which will help riders feel more pleasant. Besides, it also comes with a fast release facility and such a combination will bring more ease to the cyclists.
Question 3: Is Genesis V2100 Mountain Bike worth the price?
When it comes to low-cost products, customers might feel uncertain about the quality. However, this V2100 mountain bike is still a good choice for a low budget. Its components might break down after a long time in use, but it’s easy to find a replacement. So all in all, the bike works well without costing the riders much money.
Question 4: Do I have to assemble the bike?
You can find the full bike in Walmart stores, but it might not arrive fully assembled on your order. Partial assembly will be required, and you might need some specific tools such as a Phillips head screwdriver or Allen keys. If you want to save time, consider taking to a bike shop to have the bike quickly assembled.
Question 5: Can I install a disc brake in the back?
Unfortunately no. The disc brake is compatible with the front of the bike, but not with its back. As there is no mount, you can not add a rear disc caliper. If you still want to install it, there should be some modifications to the whole bike.
Question 6: Is it easy to find a replacement for this bike’s components?
Most of the Genesis V2100 Mountain Bike’s components are made of inexpensive and common materials. Therefore, you might be able to find it in a nearby bike shop or from online bike accessories stores.