New Balance was established in 1906 and originally produced only orthotic insoles. But today, this company sells sports apparel and other related accessories. Besides, they provide the market with various types of casual and athletic footwear. And New Balance shoes have quickly gained popularity because of their sporty designs and ultimate comfort.
But just like other shoe brands, lots of people want to know how New Balance shoes should fit so that they can choose a perfect fit model. So, in this article, I will provide you with all the necessary information about the New Balance shoe size chart, how to size New Balance shoes, and sizing tips. Let’s delve into it now!
Table of Contents
- New Balance Shoe Size Chart
- New Balance Shoe Size Compared To Nike
- How to Size New Balance Shoes
- New Balance Shoe Sizing Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
New Balance Shoe Size Chart
You can easily access New Balance’s general shoe size charts for men, women, and children on their official website. The charts also offer conversions to US, UK, and EU sizes with respective sizes in inches and centimeters available for every single one.
However, most New Balance shoe size charts you see just provide the lengths of the shoes, but not the width. In fact, width is very important when choosing a suitable fit pair of shoes, typically for those with wide feet or other foot issues such as bunions, hammertoes, etc.
When it comes to adult shoe widths, it usually ranges from extra-narrow to xx-wide. This range will be from standard to extra-wide for children. And just remember that not all widths are true for all models and styles of shoes.
So What Do New Balance Widths Mean?
New Balance offers a variety of shoe widths for men, women, and kids. I will explain what each width means:
The standard width for men, women, and children is D, B, and M, respectively. If almost all your footwear, including shoes, sandals for plantar fasciitis, slippers, etc., are regular-sized, you can choose these sizes.
Do you feel that some shoes are wider than usual for your feet? Then you can choose shoes with size B or 2A for men and 2A or 4A for women. Unfortunately, widths below standard (M) for kids are not available.
If you have trouble with narrow-fitting footwear, then you might have wide feet. And those who have hammertoes or bunions also face this problem. So, you can opt for size 2E, 4E, or 6E for men, and D, 2E, or 4E for women in this case. If your children’s feet are wider than normal, you can choose shoes with 4E in width.
Men’s Width Size Chart
It always causes confusion for wearers when they see width letters to see if the shoes fit their feet. Actually, each letter, usually from A to E, will represent a shoe size. Some companies choose C instead of B, or B instead of A, while others might have combined width sizes.
New Balance makes things simple for all wearers. Unfortunately, there is no specification for foot width versus size. However, since most New Balance shoes are true to size, you can expect that your common foot width size will almost fit. Below is the men’s width size chart for your reference.
|Extra Narrow||Narrow||Standard or Medium||Wide||Extra Wide||Extra-Extra-Wide|
- Pro Tip: If you use “EEE” in any shoe, that will be similar to EE/2E for New Balance shoes.
Take a look at this list of 15 tennis shoes for men.
Women’s Width Size Chart
It is expected that New Balance women’s shoes will be the same size as men’s. However, like most available shoes, the New Balance D is suitable for men but seems to be slightly spacious for women. And B is medium or standard, rather than narrow.
The following table will let you decide the suitable size, whether it’s an old New Balance women’s shoe model or a new Fresh Foam one.
|Extra Narrow||Standard||Wide||Extra Wide||Extra-Extra Wide|
New Balance Shoe Size Conversion Chart For Men
The table below gives you the New Balance shoe sizes for men and their conversions.
|US Men||UK||EU||Length (cm)|
New Balance Shoe Size Conversion Chart For Women
Below is the detailed New Balance shoe size conversion chart for women and check list of 15 cool non-slip shoes for women.
|US Women||UK||EU||Length (cm)|
New Balance Shoe Size Compared To Nike
So now you get the New Balance shoe size chart of both women and men. So people might wonder how the New Balance shoe size chart compares to Nike if their shoe sizes are the same. So, let me tell you the truth that no shoe brands offer the same size charts for all shoe models and styles.
For example, if you wear size 7 men from New Balance, you can see its heel-to-toe measurement is 9.8 inches. However, this dimension would be only 9.6 inches from Nike shoes. You might think that it is only 0.2 inches different, but never assume that they are the same, and you can use one shoe size chart for all shoes from different brands. That’s why I give you a comparison chart of New Balance and Nike shoe sizing. Let’s take a look at the following table!
|Heel to toe measurement (inches)||Nike US Men’s||Nike US Women’s||New Balance US Men’s||New Balance US Women’s|
How to Size New Balance Shoes
What makes you pissed off the most might be receiving your new pair of highly-anticipated shoes and finding out that they don’t fit you well. So, in this case, you can consider the following suggestions:
- Even if you have just purchased shoes for yourself or your kids, measure your feet again. This is because there are different factors affecting our feet sizes, such as when we grow up, age, or get pregnant, etc. Watch the video below to understand the right way to measure your feet.
- Measure and try on your shoes at the end of the day or after training or workout sessions. Some extreme exercises and even daily activities, such as standing or sitting for an extended period, can cause feet to swell.
- Don’t forget to wear the socks that you usually wear while trying on your new shoes. For example, you can wear sport-appropriate socks if you are an athlete.
- If you wear orthotic inserts, don’t forget them during the sizing procedure. This is because thicker insoles can change the ways your shoes would fit.
- If your new pair of shoes have laces, they should be parallel, and you should also put your two fingers comfortably underneath them.
- Your toes should be able to move and wiggle freely in the shoes without feeling constricted. However, make sure the width between your toes and the toe box should not be more than one thumb’s width.
- Your foot should fit your new shoes without creasing the shoe’s material. If they hang over the midsole, you might need to increase the width. On the other hand, you might want to go a size down if you can easily slip in and out of the heel cup.
- The midfoot portion of your shoes should fit snugly against the top of your foot and under your arch.
- If your feet are between sizes, then you might want to choose a model with a larger size. Besides, you should adjust the fit by using socks, insoles, or a specific lacing pattern, such as a pair of criss-cross shoelaces.
- If your feet are wider in the forefoot and narrower towards the heel position, you might make the most of the New Balance SL-2 Last. This model comes in a larger toe box and tighter heel cup than almost all other shoes from New Balance.
- It is completely normal that several people might have one foot that is a bit larger than the other one. If so, you should opt for a size that fits your larger foot.
- You don’t need to break in with most New Balance shoes. So, if you feel uncomfortable while kicking in the first time wearing your new shoes, that size might not work for you.
- Try on your new New Balance shoes indoors to make sure they fit your feet without invalidating the return policy. You can walk around your house or, if you play any sports, try to test your range of movement by jumping in place.
Additional Shoe Sizing Tips for Kids:
If you are shopping for New Balance shoes for your child, here are some other size suggestions:
- Age range is just a suggested guide: every kid grows up differently. For example, a four-year-old can fit infant shoes with size 10 or preschool shoes with size 10.5. A grade-school girl can feel comfortable wearing a pair of shoes with a 7-2E size if she wears a 7-XW.
- Measure your kid’s feet (both width and length). After that, round up to the nearest dimensions on the children’s size chart on the New Balance official website.
New Balance Shoe Sizing Tips
- Ensure that there is an inch of space between your longest toe and the end of your shoes.
- Check if you can slip your index finger behind your heel without difficulty.
- Make sure that shoe pinch doesn’t appear anywhere in your shoes.
- Check to see if your shoes are flexible while you are wearing them or not.
- If your shoes rub against your feet and lead to blisters, they might not be the right size.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s find out the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the New Balance shoe size chart in this section.
Are New Balance shoes true to size?
The answer is yes. The brand states itself that most New Balance shoe models and styles are true to your size straight out of the box. Multiple width options will allow you to choose a pair of shoes that fits your foot width and length.
What does D shoe size mean?
D letter represents standard width size for men and wide shoe size for women.
Do New Balance shoes run small?
No. in fact, different models and styles of New Balance shoes will give you different feelings of fit. This might depend on your feet ‘shape too. However, most wearers find it a perfect fit.
What does 2E shoe size mean?
2E shoe size is also known as EE, 3E, or EEE. It represents extra-wide shoe width for women and a wide one for men.
What does 4E shoe size mean?
Similarly, 4E in shoe sizing means extra-extra-extra wide for women and extra-extra wide for men.
Are New Balance shoes a good choice for running?
Yes, New Balance shoes are a great option for running. The New Balance Fresh Foam lines are typically designed for sports thanks to their incredible cushioning, comfort, and high level of stability.
How do New Balance shoes fit compared to Adidas shoes?
New Balance and Adidas shoe sizes are different depending on specific sizes. For example, if a pair of New Balance shoes measures 9.6 inches in US women’s size 8, but this measurement should be 9.7 inches from Adidas shoes. Similarly, US men’s size 11 would be 11.4 inches for New Balance shoes, but it is only 11 inches for Adidas shoes.
How do New Balance shoes fit compared to Nike shoes?
Just like when compared to Adidas shoes, New Balance and Nike shoe sizes can vary considerably depending on exact sizing. For instance, size 7 of New Balance shoes for men can translate into 9.8 inches, but it would be 9.6 inches from Nike.
So, it can be said that most New Balance shoes fit true to size. And I hope that you can choose your favorite pair of shoes that perfectly fit your feet with my guideline on the New Balance shoe size chart. If you have friends who are having a hard time choosing their suitable shoe size, you can share this reading with them. Also, don’t forget to post your thoughts or comment below to share your experience picking the right fit shoe size.